Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bicycle Trailer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bob,

I like all the prototype activity that you are doing. My mirage idea is to somehow convert the pedal drive into a single wheel drive, or make the mirage drive your drive wheel cart with a steerable wheel that fits over the rudder housing in the back. use the rudder controls to steer...

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey fusioneng,

I recognize that little trailer, as I am building one up right now... Can you send a few pics of any mods you did? I need more ideas...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

coachstevo:

Here are some pics of what I have:
This is the whole trailer.

Here is the removable back portion which can double as a beach cart. Two cleavis pins is all that holds the front half to the back half.

This is the front half of the trailer, which I would leave attached to the car (or leave it back at the campsite if pulling with the bike or motorscooter).

Here I am backed up to the water, I don't dunk the trailer in salt water, I just slide the boat off and on at the shoreline, it's actually very easy. It slides quite nicely on the PVC tubing mounted on 11 inch centers.

This shows the cleavis pin, and the extra brace I had to add (just in front of the cleavis pin) to re-enforce the end of the 1 inch sq aluminum tubing. That's my new wing jib sail all furled up on top of the boat.

Here is a view of the underside of the additional brace (1 1/2" aluminum angle aluminum)

Here is a closer view of the V holders that hold the bow, I lash the ropes over the bow to hold everything tight in place. The spray skirts are plain old patio screen material, it folds over all the sails and rigging, and keeps everything from blowing around on the highway. My jib and spinnaker sails remain attached to the boat all the time, along with all their control lines. I just lay them down for transport. The mainsail is slipped out, and laid over the center of the boat, and held down by the straps and spray curtains

The 1 inch sq aluminum is not super strong, so I slide 3/4 sq steel tubing inside the aluminum for extra strength. I then filled the ends with epoxy so water can't get in there, which also re-enforces the 3/8 dia cleavis pin hole quite a bit.

If you look at the pic of the underside, you will see 2 white rods sticking down thru the boat. These are PVC rods with aluminum slid up thru the middle (for added strength) that go thru the scupper holes to add additional safety just in case I have to stop fast (don't want the boat in my back seat), (probably overkill, since I also have a brace on the bow).

If I ever do it again I will use 1 1/2" PVC instead of 1/2" PVC like (Kayakman7 uses).

Once the steel frame starts to degrade (and it will quickly because of the salt water). I will replace it with 1 1/2 or 2 inch aluminum channel, which should bring the weight down from a little over 150 lbs to I'm hoping 75 to 100 lbs.
The receiver bar and hitch is what came with the trailer, I was careful to keep all the legal stickers in tact. I just extended the wiring harness and am using the light system that came with the trailer.
Of course it is all licensed and registered, no inspection or certification needed, because it's a commercial utility trailer.
I left all the original stuff in tact so I can actually use it as a utility trailer, just by moving a few bolts around, for hauling junk, or my wifes scooter.

I replaced nearly all the fasteners with stainless steel fasteners, I also clear coated pretty much everything. Another thing I did was filled over the top of the leaf spring with silicone roofing tar to keep it from rattling. Basically stuck a baggie in there and filled it with the silicone, it actually rides nice and quiet.
Any place the boat touches I covered with that insulation foam tubing they use around water pipes (Chakika's ROID foam), then covered with electrical tape wound around (like 10 speed bike handlebars), seems to work quite well. The 3M electrical tape holds up quite well to the sun and weather (you have to use 'only' the black tape because the black color tape uses carbon black to make the color, and carbon black blocks 100% of all UV).

Those angled braces in the front are just 1/4 x 1 inch aluminum bent then covered with that same pipe insulation, then wrapped in electrical tape. Holds the boat bow very tight.
The total cost was around $250-$300 bucks, and a weekend of labor to build, only tools used was a hack saw and cordless drill, got all the materials at Lowes.

The only issue I have is my roadster only had 3-4 inches ground clearance, and I bottom out at the boat launch if I'm not careful.
Hope this gives you some ideas.
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bob - Looks great. I have the same harbor freight trailer, and I need to rebuild it after moving it to Hawaii. Gave me some new ideas. Thanks for putting pictures on as well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

yes thanks tons... gave me loads of ideas, especially the bow holders

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just took apart a Burley and made it fit my Islander2 and pull it with my bicycle.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What is a Burley??

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

and what is an Islander2?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A burley is a bicycle trailer. I cut it in half, and put it back together with the wheels 18 inches further apart. I use 1 inch aluminum pipe using radiator clamps to hold the frame together.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is probably similar to PatsJoy's setup. A simple, light-weight, and economical setup. It's not my setup, I saw it online. A problem is that the trailer limits around 100lbs capacity and a loaded TI is around 200lbs. I'm sure some of you can easily find ways to increase the capacity on these stock trailers.

Original typical stock bicycle trailer.

Modified bicycle trailer.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is great idea, I did my windsurfer like this but the Tandem Island is a little too much for this. Thanks though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6l0Gcp- ... SLFwehHMe2

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by skymax on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What a cool rig!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
What a cool rig!

Thanks Tony, lazy men are good Inventors!

VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6l0Gcp- ... SLFwehHMe2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Max - great to hear from you how's the health?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next