Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getaway Advice
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm getting a fully loaded 2001 next weekend. The cooler lids are UV damaged, can I get replacements with the square lid? MIne have the cup holders, but aren't big enough for koozies. Does anybody camp on their tramp? I saw the 21SC has an optional tent, but can't find it anywhere. I raft up with sloops often and would like to pitch a tent on the tramp if possible. Does that work? I can also see myself sailing to an island and camping. How do you recommend stowing the gear? Just aft of the mast, lashed to the tramp? It would be more convenient on the forward net, but doesn't that impede performace? This one has significant UV damage, I know I can get new net/tramp, but can I replace the cloth on the wings? They look riveted. I plan to sail all over: Texas City Dike, Lake Conroe, Lake Travis, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Another question, is there a spinnaker option for the Getaway? I find it a little interesting that the Wave has one, but I can't seem to find one for the Getaway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 9:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

See my post under "Getaway Spinnaker!"

Last edited by V-Ray11 on Sat May 29, 2004 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

WOW! Thanks. I'm really looking forward to checking out the results of your hard work. Maybe I'll consider that as a possible project for this winter.

Post subject: Raising the main
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just got a new (used) Getaway also. I just took it out for the first time yesterday. We had difficult, if not impossible, time getting the main to raise the final 10". The Comptip changes at that point and the sail would not make it through the groove. After lowering the mast (ARGHHH!) and identifying the problem and working the sail in and out several times we thought we had it fixed.
When we put the mast back up and and tried it again, no go. Finally a 300 pound biker came by and yanked on it with success. (I don't feel like traveling with a 300 lb. biker everytime I go sailing).

Any similar problems or ideas? Grind out the comptip??

Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Congrats on the Getaway! I hope other than your sail raising issue, it was a successful first time out. Can you see a misalignment in the sail track? I would be extremely hesitant to grind on the comptip. That may open a whole can of worms if the fibers are exposed. My sail goes up with a little resistance, that I believe was designed so that the main doesn't fall down in the blink of an eye. On my sloop, I use a dry sail track lubricant that's safe on the Dacron sails. You might want to give that try first. I guess at worst, you could use the trailer winch and the main halyard to raise the sail, but I'm hesitant to recommend that because of propensity to use excessive force for a procedure like that. Binding usually indicates some kind of fouled rigging that could easily result in damage if an overly powerful, non-feedback-feeling winch was used. The sail and the mast are both pretty expensive things to have to replace. Murphy's law states that in any given rigging problem, the relatively inexpensive running rigging will be the last component to fail. That was cool of the biker though. Another possibility might be that the nut was jamming on it's way through the notch. I think the sail hits the comp tip much sooner than the last 10". I usually take the main halyard all the way out to the front crossbar to clear the notch, then bring the halyard back to the mast and cleat the downhaul to set the nut. That worked for my Wave, and has so far for the Getaway. Good luck. I know how frustrating something like that can be. It sort of takes the relaxation and enjoyment out of what you thought was going to be an excitingly relaxing day. Just write it off as a learning experience. I'll check the junction on my mast tonight and see if I can think of anything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thursday night, I took the Getaway out to Texas City Dike. It was blowing 15+ knots, so I decided to leave the jib furled so as not to be overpowered (sloop technique). My buddy and I also stumbled onto the fact that if you let the boat tip forward by unstrapping it from the trailer, it's much easier to raise the mast and secure it while attaching the forestay bridle, but that's another story. Anyway, we sailed off the beach as expected, reveling in our speed across the salty water. We started nearing the vicinity of the ship channel, so we decided for safety sake to tack back to shore. I found that I couldn't bring the boat through the wind enough to reach on the opposite tack. It actually oscillated back and forth on a close reach. Nothing I did mattered (i.e. sheeting in, out, sculling, etc.). Since I realized the definition of insanity is to repeat the same behavior, expecting a different outcome, I sat back for a second and actually used my brain. I realized that we needed the jib to give us enough leverage to make it all the way through the wind. Wonder of wonders, it worked! Of course by this time, we were in four foot chop from the huge commercial boats, but not immediate physical danger. We had made so much progress up wind that we were able to surf these large waves on a run all the way back to shore. It was a well-learned lesson, I'm just glad my ignorance didn't result in anything more serious than some puzzled frustration. I'm constantly amazed at the differences between sloops and cats. THE END...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ah, so the Getaways need the jib to drag 'em through the eye just like the old 16's! ( actually don't really need it, but it shore helps!)- Dave

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I too have the same problem. I get it almost to the top and suddenly it absolutely will not go any more. The only thing I can do is make sure the mast is straight and give the line little tugs. After about 20 tries or so, it would go right up and over. I notice that the tip of the sail that fits in the track does show signs of wear, so it is definately catching on something. I too took down the mast and could not see anything that would cause the sail to snag. Maybe I will try some track lubricant?? I am taking it out next weekend, will let you know if it helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've found the main tricky to raise that last foot or so, too, but haven't had quite as much trouble as Scott and Ohio. Have you guys tried the method CL mentions, i.e. taking the halyard as far forward as possible? That's always done the trick for me--and if I don't do it, I find the halyard hangs up in the locking clip. I also bought some stuff called Fastrac from Layline. It's a lube you apply by running a small square of "luff" up and down the track, and it seems to help. The problem you describe sounds like the metal "bolt" at the top of the luff is getting hung up at the transition from the nylon track back to the metal track near the top of the mast. Maybe gently prying open (or perhaps grinding) just the bottom of the upper metal track a bit will help ease the transition without compromising its "grip" once the sail is fully raised.

Yep, that problem of not being able to tack the Getaway in the chop seems pretty well documented by now (see my other posts on the subject). Your experience sounds just like mine: tried once without the jib, thinking that might improve weather helm, but it just wouldn't go. Seems we need the extra speed/pointing ability the jib provides and need to backwind it to bring the bows around. Also need to get weight forward and remain on the new downwind side until she comes about--but not too far unless you want to go swimming! This is a technique that will require some refining--if anyone figures out the "ultimate" Getaway tacking solution, please share!

Wish I had a good sailing story from this weekend, but mine's only a reaffirmation of the ubiquity of Mr. Murphy. Saturday it blew plenty hard, but I couldn't go out and play. Sunday my bud and I hauled the boat all the way to the lake to see a sight rarely seen in OK: mirror-smooth water in a dead calm. Didn't even put the boat in the water. Monday, business as usual: winds strong enough I needed to lean into them on the way to the jet, but anything over 10 knots is a waste for flying purposes. Sigh... :?

But I have high hopes for the 3-day weekend! 8)

Cheers, Steve

Post subject: Re: Getaway Advice
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anybody camp on their tramp? I saw the 21SC has an optional tent, but can't find it anywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We've camped with these one man tents on our tramp. Two fit perfectly.

https://www.sansbug.com/product/1-perso ... arp-floor/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So Clarsen, do you have information on where some good camp sites on those lakes are? I was wanting to do the same thing on Lake Travis but didn't know if it were all privately owned or public parks. Congrats on your new boat. I landed a 2004 last month myself. ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Fun to see another spinkit installed on a Getaway!!!