Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Water in mast
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello new to this forum. I have a 1984 hobie 16 which I bought new. Had comtip retro fitted by dealer year or two after purchased. Boat has always been lake sailed. Was setting on a local hobie beach for last month with mast up. We took it down this weekend to store boat for winter and can hear what sounds like a cup or two of water sloshing around in mast. It leaks out some where comtip meets aluminum. The water was not in there prior to setting boat up a month ago and it was not flipped so had to get in from rain. I had recaulked all seems prior to setting up so really surprised it took on water. Should I look at replacing the foam plugs in mast or other suggestions welcome. This photo shows the screw removed from comtip and caulk scraped away as I'm thinking will need to pull comtip? Image

Post subject: Re: Water in mast
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As a continuation of above questions does anyone know if these early com tips went past the shroud/forestay tang? I'm thinking maybe not so haven't drilled rivets off but also not able to wiggle comtip off either?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

The first retrofits did not involve the rivets. The idea was to make the retrofit process easier, but that was abandoned shorty after.

I would remove it and re-install with epoxy. That would seal it at the joint. You should also be sure the internal seal is repaired before installing the tip.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply when you say internal seal are you referring to foam plug or something else? Also what type of epoxy is used?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:08 am 
Site Admin

There should be a foam plug inside the aluminum section. They shrink and break the seals. Re apply something aggressive like 3M 5200 to re-seal the plug. I use Automotive Bondo to seat the CompTip in place. Tight fit. No slop. Make sure the mast is in alignment before the Bondo sets up.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks mmiller, appreciate all your help. I just came from local hobie dealership but it has changed hands and knowledge on the early retrofits was lacking. How do I pull the comptip off? I have removed the 2 screws and the sheath that held the screws thru the mast is there anything else holding the comptip on? It will wiggle but doesn't want to come out of the aluminum mast.
Also, plan is to reuse the comptip just reseal it, however, dealership has a new comptip which is longer than the one I currently have so mast would have to be recut is there any reason to consider this, they would give me a deal on it but still considerably more than reusing current tip.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:27 am 
Site Admin

A Come-along or car and tree/post. 1/2" diameter line looped 5-6 times around CTip and tied to a tree/post. Another line at the mast base and tied to a vehicle. Pads or on grass under the mast assembly. In idle, the car will create plenty of pull. Someone can wiggle the mast at the joint. Worst case you may have to heat it with MAPP gas flame to expand the aluminum a bit to break any bond inside. Likely it is just friction.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That did the trick. Foam plug in comtip is damp but seems to be in good shape same for one in mast. The water is in the aluminum section, thought it would run out once comtip removed but it's not! Should I drill a hole toward base end of mast or is their better way to get water out? Also here's pic of chaffe occurring along one edge if comtip it looks to be cosmetic more than anything but I'm no expert. Not sure what life expectancy on comtip is. This one close to 30 years old but only exposed to sun when in use for most of that time. Still trying to weigh the pros/con of reuse vs replace while it's apart. Image

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm sure I'll be promptly corrected if wrong (as usual), but.....

There should be another plug a foot or so above the base. Recommend you remove base and inspect/empty/clean reseal, then replace base. Drilling a hole below this plug wouldn't accomplish much.

I've seen comp-tips in much worse shape under frequent use. It should be good to go for a while as is. At most I would sand/clean it and shoot it with black epoxy appliance paint from rattle can. When they get real bad with lots of fibers showing, a coat of epoxy w/graphite powder is in order. Mask the luff track/comptip joints so that they don't get "glued" together. If the track ever breaks it can be purchased/replaced separately.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks r&h, so if I take the base off there may still be a plug a foot or so above the end if I am understanding you correctly. So then do I try and remove the foam plug? What if gets tore up in the process are replacement plugs sold??

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Part #10060000, I believe, under 5 bucks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd remove whichever plug is easiest to reach, remove the water/mud, and clean. Then reseal all the plugs and all the rivets on fittings between plugs. I used a piece of coat hanger....bent like a corkscrew and screwed to a broom handle....to remove my H-14 plugs. They didn't tear and were easy to re-goop.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok thanks everyone looks like I'll be adding this to the list of winter projects.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here's a pic of top foam plug and bottom plug of the comtip. Both look to be snug I just removed the top of mast so it's a little damp in this pic. Any reason to replace either of these plugs or just reseal?
ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have always used black golf club epoxy, thickened with silica, for seating a comptip. One because it's black, and two because it's designed to break down from lower heat than the laminations in a graphite shaft. When you need to take it back out, apply heat with a propane torch to the aluminum, and the golf club epoxy will bubble up and release easily.