Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone, my first post. Just picked up a used 2011 TI last week, traded some cash and my Pro Angler for it. I used to sail my Pro Angler but this TI is a whole new ball game.

Anyway, was reading the threads and really liked the third hand idea and was about to run to Lowes.

Then I found these two plastic hooks...and I noticed on the back of the amas there is a small eyelet. So I had the idea to ziptie a plastic hook to each rear amas eyelet and see how that works.

Well, it worked perfect. My downwind speeds were increased and my sail had a much better shape. I just used my stake out pole (or you can use a paddle with a notch in it) to put the lines into the hook. Easy to disconnect too, just slack a little line and push it out with your paddle or pole. In the last picture it looks like the hook is leaning toward the boat because there is no tension from the wind as I am sitting in a canal. When there is air in the sail, the hook is pointing to the sail.

Should I be concerned with the strength of the eyelet? There doesn't seem to be very much stress at all on the line. I sailed around for a while and everything was easy-breezy.

Any other reason I should not do this?

Thanks!

-Matt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Howdy Matt.

In moderate conditions, this mod seems fine.

Main considerations:

It's too far out there for quick/easy access in a pinch.
It requires additional "tools", which you also need to access and secure.
It connects to an unbalanced point on the Amas/Akas. Putting the hook on the Ama carry handles would provide more stabity.

Worse case? If you get a strong gust or the sail is back winded by a gybe, you could be stuck in a pretty awkward position. Even an Aka collapse is possible.

As long as you can still furl the sail, it's no big deal.

I would prefer to see the hook connected to the handles, via a length of bungee that you can each by hand while seated in the cockpit. The shock cord adjusts to sudden wind changes.

But if you only deploy this in safe conditions, and watch your gybes, all should be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the input! That all makes sense.

I'll have to look at the amas again, but I don't think I have any chance of reaching the carrying handle from the rear seat position where I like to sail. That might change once I install some hakas. I'll take a look at that.

So many great mods can be done but even in stock form this TI is a blast. I was just happy to be moving faster than the waves going straight downwind with this mod. When I pushed the lines out I noticed an immediate improvement. It was pretty breezy out and it was very stable. I've seen some videos of catching the waves while riding downwind, weaving back and forth. Looks interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As it's a TI, I totally understand your approach Matt.

I think the AI, with its smaller sail, benefits more from an outhaul system. It's easier to reach as well. Solo sailing the TI, makes things a bit more challenging.

On the AI, I simply hook bungees directly to the clew of the sail and this works great. The other end is tied off to the outside of the rear Aka or Haka.

Putting the mainsheet through an open hook makes a lot of sense, especially if that hook is on a bungee and positioned toward the front where it can provide outhaul at different points of sail, not just dead downwind.

Excellent first post. Thanks for contributing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Matt in Houston this is Greg in Houston. A number of us sail out of Houston on both the bays and offshore. Let me know if you ever want to join us!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

vetgam wrote:
Hey Matt in Houston this is Greg in Houston. A number of us sail out of Houston on both the bays and offshore. Let me know if you ever want to join us!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Greg! I may have to check it out sometime. I live on Lake Houston so if anyone ever wants to sail out here, come on out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

maybe you could use a piece or rope (a few feet) instead of the ziptie:
tie the rope to the hook, pull rope through the eyelet and then keep the end of the rope in your hand

that way you could slack the rope your holding and pull the mainsail-rope tight to gain access to the hook right in front of you :) (and in reverse when wanting to use it as a boom)