Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Had the TI out on lake Whitney yesterday and came across a nice couple in a pair of AIs. Kind of got me wondering who all is in the area. We sail just about every weekend on either Lake Belton, Stillhouse Hollow, Lake Waco or Lake Whitney. Would be nice to meet some like minded folk sail with!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Howdy! I sail out of Austin. Usually on Lake Travis from Windy Point, but more frequently on Ladybird Lake, where I leave the sail at home more often than not.

Texas, USA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cool! Haven't been to Travis in a few years, is there any water in it?

I just finished my splash guards, depth finder, and flex boom mods, and my wind indicator finally came in. So I'm itching for new adventures.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There's enough water in Travis to float an AI, and I see other AI/TI out there from time to time. A few months ago there were several catamaran sailors out.

All of the public boat ramps are closed, but at Windy Point you can drive out onto the beach and launch right into the water. Just need to be careful to stay out of the mud, as it can be treacherous.

Canyon Lake is on my list of places to sail. I know there are some other Hobie sailors down there too.

I really had a blast sailing with the folks out of the Freeport Jetties even though I didn't catch any fish. I think 4-foot seas are about my limit, though. Wind was 10-20 knots, and I furled about half the sail to keep from overpowering the rudder and to avoid snapping the rudder pin.

We also take a trip down to Rockport a few times a year, and it's nice to get out on the bay. Lots of wide open water without too much traffic, and reliable breezes in the afternoons. Someday I'll take a trip up the Laguna Madre from Port Mansfield to Corpus Christi for example, but I have no idea when I'll find the time!

-Chris

Texas, USA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

LBJ is my lake of choice but never seen another AI out there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It would have be a bit further north for you, but there was a regatta in Lawton OK over last weekend. I mention it because they are talking about maybe running another in mid September. They are an awesome group with some very talented sailors.

Fleet 23 in Dallas is awesome also. Keep your eyes open for their events as they are well worth the drive

We came from KC to join the party. Well worth every mile and then some.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

bozz wrote:
LBJ is my lake of choice but never seen another AI out there.

There are two TI's (dune) that I know of and one AI (red). One TI is mine and brand new and lately I have been staying between the dam and Applehead I. because I start later in the PM when the wind comes up and the temp goes down a bit. Will be getting out more and going farther as the wind and temperatures allow. Best times for me are weekdays and Sunday once all the power boaters thin out. Nice Fridays and Saturdays are not small sailboat friendly on LBJ due to all the wakes and the new "wake" skiers are making it even more interesting all the time... but no gripes, it's their lake too. Maybe see you out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Howdy. We're in Wichita Falls, TX, sorting out a new Tandem Island that we bought about a month ago. We'd love to hear about any meet-ups happening close by.

Ronholm, do you have a contact name and/or number for the fleet in Lawton? We're only about 40 miles or so from there.

Here's a question for any of you other Texas owners. Have you registered your boat and do you display the sticker and numbers? We've been going without so far, as our lake (Lake Arrowhead) is so low I'm not sure the game wardens can even launch their boat. But I guess we'll "get legal" sooner or later (shrug).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

TX registration is required for all sailboats 16 feet and longer, so I keep the numbers on mine.

Texas, USA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Been sailing on Inks Lake several times.

Next weekend we go camping at Navarro Mills Lake so I'll let you all know if that is any good.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

kadac00 wrote:
Next weekend we go camping at Navarro Mills Lake so I'll let you all know if that is any good.

Navarro Mills Lake was nice. We stayed at Oak Park. The lake is down about 3 feet, but the boat ramp is still usable. Gentle slope so was not difficult to walk the boats down. There are a few campsites on the loop that have direct access to the water.

A nice large lake for sailing without a lot of tacking.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Not an AI sailor, but I do keep my Hobie 14 at AYC near windy point and occasionally sail travis. Austin sailboat shop has a used 14, I hope someone from the forum buys it as I currently have the only 14 in dry storage at the club.

The hobie 14 sandbox is a lonely sandbox.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Moose & Squirrel wrote:
Howdy. We're in Wichita Falls, TX, sorting out a new Tandem Island that we bought about a month ago. We'd love to hear about any meet-ups happening close by.

Ronholm, do you have a contact name and/or number for the fleet in Lawton? We're only about 40 miles or so from there.

Here's a question for any of you other Texas owners. Have you registered your boat and do you display the sticker and numbers? We've been going without so far, as our lake (Lake Arrowhead) is so low I'm not sure the game wardens can even launch their boat. But I guess we'll "get legal" sooner or later (shrug).

Moose
I'm in Burkburnett. Have my AI and spend more time fishing Amon Carter or Buffalo. Not so much with the water levels. PM me if youd like the nex t time your headed out.
JT

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Canyon Lake with a red TI here. Have only seen one couple with another red TI, among other kayaks on their trailer. We were leaving as they were arriving.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Moose & Squirrel wrote:

Hi! New 2014 TI owners in San Antonio (too eager to wait for the 2015, and got a good deal on a 2014).

I registered the boat at my local TPWD yesterday - took the COI, Bill of Sale (invoice and receipt) and PWD 143 that I had filled in from their site:
http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdforms/media/pwd_143_a0900_vessel_boat_application.pdf.

Cost was $80: $53 for registration, $27 for title. Only took about 15 minutes.