Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We are planning to go to Galveston next week to watch the Hobie races. My question is, will we be able to see the action from the beach or are we wasting out time if we are not racing? We are new Hobie owners and thought it would be awesome to see people that know what they are doing. It's about a 650 mile drive so we don't want to drive if we won't be able to see much. Thanks for any advice.

cobrasailing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:42 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

You should be able to see stuff from the beach, but it really depends on the wind direction.

If you're not going on the water, it's probably best to get there early in the morning, before people leave the beach. That will give you the opportunity to see the boats up close and talk with the sailors. Then hang around a bit after they leave and watch the races (bring a hand-held VHF if you've got one so you can listen to the race committee).

You could get there in the afternoon when they come in, but the timing is less predictable and the sailors will be focused on putting boats away and hitting the shower.

The best seats are on the water, though. If you've got a whole day to devote to it, volunteer to help with the race committee, either on the signal boat or one of the mark boats - no experience necessary! PM me if you're interested and I'll hook you up with the principal race officer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep.... I had talked to Mark about possibly heading down if I could... and I just can't make it... Really bummed...

Pretty sure they could get ya on a RC boat... You would need to talk to Mark... But I think they would be happy to have you!

Let us know what ya end up doing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sounds great. I appreciate the info. My wife and I should arrive late on Wednesday (23rd) and be at the beach bright and early on Thursday and Friday. We are happy to help any way we can and if we don't get the opportunity, we are happy just to be there and watch. Thanks again for the info.

Tim and Brentz
cobrasailing