Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I keep my Getaway in the water all summer in Connecticut and take it in for the winter. I live on a lakefront and store it under a tarp there, just out of the water (ice), for the winter. I have been stepping my mast by lowering it using a come-along and a nearby tree. Worked like a charm last year and this Spring, but while lowering the mast this Fall a nasty cross wind pulled it sideways and the base casting cracked when the mast dropped, even though I had the yellow arrows aligned.
So now I have 5 or 6 months to lament the error and decide what to do to get sail-ready next Spring. What's the repair, and am I better off never stepping the mast and just leaving it up all year long?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can get a replacement mast base - and just re-rivet the new on in place - should cost you more than $75 to fix.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CTmikey wrote:
What's the repair

It is a pretty straightforward repair if you are somewhat handy and have the right tools. You will need: Electric drill with various size drill bits, 1/8" punch and hammer, 3/16" diameter stainless steel rivets, a rivet gun, and silicone caulk.

Drill the heads off of the rivets which are holding the mast base casting into the mast. Then use the punch and hammer to knock the rivet shanks into the mast. Pull the mast base out of the mast (may need to be knocked out with a hammer and a block of wood if it's tight). Place a thin film of silicone caulk around the new mast base and insert the base into the mast. Using the existing rivet holes in the mast as a guide, drill 3/16" diameter holes into the new mast base for the rivets. Install the rivets into the mast, sealing them with silicone caulk.

It is a one-hour job, tops.

Quote:
am I better off never stepping the mast and just leaving it up all year long?

You're better off coming up with a safer and more reliable method for stepping the mast. If your method allows the mast to swing from side to side out of control, then it is definintely not safe and you're lucky that the only thing that was damaged was the mast step. The Getaway mast is relatively light and can be handled easily by one or two average sized adults. I recommend having someone help you and that you step the mast manually with two people. If you don't feel comfortable stepping the mast manually, Hobie has a mast stepper kit that allows you to safely raise and lower the mast mechanically.

sm

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I turn the boat up on its side.... having the wing resting on the sand and step the mast while walking until perpendicular. Shrouds are already attached and the bow attachment can be completed safely.
Tim