Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ever since I got the PA12, I've wanted to add Side Imaging. The requirement that the transducer be in the water has been holding me back. The easiest solution is the transducer arm like madfrog or ram. Like others have said, I don't want the hassle of pulling kelp/grass/junk off the arm and having something to hang up on around the kayak. I kept scouring the boards for a better solution.

I finally decided to pull the trigger on a 798ci SI with a single sonar/down-imaging/side-imaging compact transducer. Once I was able to see the transducer, I pulled out the Lowrance plate and tried to figure out a way to get the transducer in the water. After much pondering, I decided the only way to get the transducer in the water was to allow the transducer to mount below the plate. I started cutting/grinding away and ended up being able to push the transducer through the plate and directly into the water.

After several trips out to test, I can confirm that you'll want at least 3/4 of the transducer in the water to get decent side imaging results. The more the better.

So far the only negative, it's exposed. With 3/4 of the transducer exposed, it's actually slightly below the hull. Meaning, in the right circumstances the kayak will be resting on the transducer. The outer material of the transducer is not very durable and I'm not sure how sensitive it is to bumping? So far so good, and the data outweighs the risk to me at the moment. Note, on my PA12 the center hull is about a half inch higher up than the outer hulls.

This is how far I've gotten and now I'd like to share this with the PA community and see if we can improve this. It works now, but a retractable/spring loaded/crashproof version would be much better. There has to be an even better way to do this? Hoping to hear some good ideas! :)

Here is the Humminbird Adapater Kit P# 84505901

798 SI vs 597 DI Transducer

Modified transducer mount

Transducer installed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

looks good, thx for the report. I just ordered the HB 998. I have the older PA14 so no lowrance compartment for me. I am going to try the RAM transducer mount. Should be here by the weekend. I figured I needed to have the ducer lower in the water than any part of the hull to get full SI details. I am more concerned with consistent speed and direction(or lack there of) and how it will affect the images.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I mounted my 798 CI SI transducer in the tunnel at the rear. Does not touch the ground in any condition and reads great as a sidescanner.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Interesting/creative installation. Does the transducer located before the rudder cause any more steering issues? The PA12 requires constant course correctional already, does that mounting location make this worse? Also, are you getting good SI details with that setup?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

fishingfiend wrote:
Interesting/creative installation. Does the transducer located before the rudder cause any more steering issues? The PA12 requires constant course correctional already, does that mounting location make this worse? Also, are you getting good SI details with that setup?

Steering was bad with or without that mount. It really is no different than putting a transducer as pictured here in a scupper hole. I solved all the steering problems by adding a twist and stow with large blade as a second rudder.

Side imaging works fine with the transducer there in the tunnel.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I fished the KayakBassFishing.com Open and Invitational Tournaments this last weekend. Hobie was well represented at the event and I was there for able to check out several different mounting configurations. After seeing them all and getting to check out the new RAM mount as well I'm glad I went with the Mad Frog Transducer Deployment Arm on my 2012 PA 14! While fishing Santee Cooper I did have to pull up the arm on occasion but it really wasn't an issue. I have mine mounted on the rear edge of the starboard mounting board and its well within my quick reach. The RAM just looked goofy to me with its bendable arm. My Mad Frog arm sits really tight to the hull when deployed and folds nicely along the mounting board inside the gunnel of the boat when stored. Ill try and remember to take some pics and post them up here tomorrow when I'm fishing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm a big fan of the Mad Frog / Liberator / TDA designs. I've used them on my PA as well. They fold up real nice when not in use.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hutch, I didn't use the Liberator platform on mine. Just the TDA. I did trim the arms on mine to keep the arm as close to the hull as possible. When my transducer is facing straight down the vertical arm actually rests against the side of my hull, there by reducing the amount of movement that the arm can make.

Is there any reason that you left the arms so long on yours in the picture? I do like the Trax mounting system you used and will likely do the same on my next install. Very sharp looking!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry, that was just the initial install to see how it looked on the yak. Ultimately, it was mounted to a gear track just behind the seat to the right, so that I could deploy without leaving my seating position. The arm was later trimmed to be snug against the yak when fully deployed!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How do you run your wire from the transducer to the unit? I am thinking that I might have to drill a hole in the side wall to run it through. Is this the correct way? Thanks for any help

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yup... That's how I did it... Be carefull though. There are crevices in the PA that hobie likes to fill with pieces of foam. Plan out where you want to run your wires, and use your hand to check for any foam in these areas.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the responses, but I think the point of this thread has been lost. This thread is about NOT using the MadFrog or Ram transducer arms, but it seems that what most people fall back on. I would not use a transducer arm on my boat and definitely won't use it on my PA. Oh well, I'm very pleased with my setup and found the transducer to be pretty tough and it does not make steering any worse. Nothing gets hung up on it and I now forget that it's there. Hopefully Hobie will improve their mounting options with their running changes moving forward...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was curious as to how your transducer is still holding up with this setup? Also, have you figured out a way to protect it any better or used the spring idea like you were talking?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hobie!!!!! Please make a accessory "bubble cover" for the humminbird side imaging transducer to mount in the Lowrance ready location

Please!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I too am curious how it is holding up. I have the older PA so no Lowrance ready for me. Pretty much had to go the arm mount way.
I contemplated something like AllElectric's but drilling holes in the bottom and side imaging clearance stopped me there.
I also load my PA14 in the bed of my truck so did not want a permanent protruding design underneath. I originally used the RAM bent pipe parts
but that piece is made to work with normal 2D style ducers and the size of my 998 SI ducer made for a tricky mount and the overall arm was just
not rigid enough to hold that big ducer still in moving water and debris. I was not happy with the RAM mount so keep looking.
I searched through RAM's other mounts and decided to piece together a hybrid design. Ended up with a 1.5 ball mount hybrid on the side rail.
Below are the 4 pieces I used together and the ducer cord runs inside the 12" threaded pipe. This puts the ducer slightly below the hull for great side image clearance.
ImageImageImageImage