Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bending jib ?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My used Getaway came with a jib that has already a wire in the luff pocket and I cannot substitute this wire with the forestay since I would have to open the pocket of the sail. So the boat came equipped with a block that hang from the tang to hoist the jib.

I pull the line hoisting the jib to the point that the forestay becomes very loose so the mast is held by wire of the jib instead. I leave the forestay on because I feel more confy having the forestay as a backup (wire in the luff is not as thick).

Problem is that when I go up (or close) wind with 10 knots quite soon the forestay replaces the luff wire in holding the mast and the luff of the jib bends drammatically on the luff making a half moon. This is, I guess, the combined action on the luff of the wind and of my pulling the jib so it is as flat as possible. When I dock later the luff wire is back again substituting the forestay in holding the mast.

Any hint on how I may overcome the bending jib ?

Thank you

Post subject: Re: bending jib ?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:50 am 
Site Admin

Get rid of the other forestay. The boat is designed to have the wire in the jib be the only forestay. When the mast is stepped... the jib goes up with it.

Hobie Getaway Assembly Manual: http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/getawaymanual.pdf

Only other option is to increase your purchase power on the jib halyard to put the full load on the jib wire, but would require a sturdy halyard and halyard block like on a Hobie 16. Refer to Getaway and Hobie 16 jib systems in their assembly manuals.

Hobie 16: http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/H16_Manual.pdf

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thank you
Yes i realized that I had a different setup from the original design. though the forestay in the jib I got proved to be too weak: I went for the annual Tanzacat race (from Dar Es salaam to Zanzibar 5o miles in the indian ocean) met 2 mt waves and after a couple of hours the mast was right in the water because the thimble at the foot of the wire failed. Jib is new.
Also I keep the getaway at a club ready to go to the water. I would not even think to step up and down the mast each time (3 times per week) and the jib cover I see is recommended for only short time especially in very hot and humid weather condition.

From your answer I thought that if I put a cleat just after the hoisting block hence reducing the length(to about 10 inches) of the jib halyard that may elongate under tension replicating the same fork trick of the main halyard I may be fine. The main halyard though is left with only 5 inches after it is trapped in the fork. (By the way my used Getaway main halyard misses the rope + chain original setup. All it took was a knot at the right length in the halyard that it trapped in the fork on top of the mast. This has proven to be sufficient for eliminating the problem of the main coming down when under tension 8) )

Another idea would be to open the luff pocket, remove the existing wire, sew a 1 inch velcro all along the luff pocket that would be closed around the much stronger original forestay while hoisting the jib. Would the velcro be powerful enough to keep the pocket closed under tension ?

What do you think ?

Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:06 pm 
Site Admin

Zipper.

This is standard on H17 Sport, 18, 20, 21, Miracle 20. Check any of those assembly manuals or parts guides for references on rigging the jib and what hardware is used.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)