Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/boa/4054687453.html

I can't decide wether to get a tandem or two doubles. I came across this on my local craigs list. I'm thinking if I buy both from one person I could get a better deal. Anything I should look at in boats of these years, any big changes?

Dom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dom, your looking at a couple single AI's here, out of warranty, don't know how much use they have gotten? Don't see anything about extras. A new AI is 4k. So at $2400 each or about 60 percent of a new one (which has the latest updates/full warranty), I think it's too high. Think of it this way, let's suppose the hull gets a non repairable leak, what do you have left? An older style mirage drive, an older set of Amas/akas, an older style seat (not worth much), an older styled AI sail, also the older styled twist n stow rudders. What are those worth to you? To me, about $500, maybe not even that. Go NEW. Otherwise for just the basic older out of update AI's, no more than 1k each would I go, if you know what to look for in leaks, etc. and are handy to work on.

If folks knew what potential problems lay hidden in these older Hobies, they wouldn't be paying these exhorbitant prices, used. Go NEW, thank me later. Get a NEW tandem, TI, for this price of two used AI's plus $800, again thank me later, shop around with dealers, might find a full warranty demo/new tandem for a steal this time of the year, 1k less.

8)

Last edited by CR Yaker on Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My experience here in Maui both buying and selling older AI's is, in good condition they are worth about $2400, a bit more with some extras included, a bit less with minor problems and heaver wear. With Hobie's great warranty service, they hold their values pretty well after becoming used.

TI's being newer and with far fewer used ones available, only seem to drop 20-25% of their new price when sold used if in good shape.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I hear a lot about leaks, is this a common thing?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't remember the cost of the AI back in 2008 but it was no where near $4,000, my 2010 TI Was $4250, I'm just guessing here but I think the AI's were around $3200 back then. My opinion is the price should be between $1000 and $1500 depending on condition. The Hobie warranty is two years, I have owned 7 Hobies now and don't really wish to own one that is out of warranty, this is just my personal preference though nothing has been wrong with any that I have sold I just like that piece of mind. The boat being roto molded if it develops a leak or crack the hull is likely un-repairable and scrap. The newer boats 2011 and newer are much less likely to crack and leak. There have been major changes to the AI since 08 ( that's almost 6 yrs old).
Personally I prefer the TI ( I'm on my 3rd TI now) it's the perfect family boat for us, we often take 3-4 people out on the TI ( I recommend getting the tramp option) and use it for pretty much anything and everything water related, the TI replaced our sea ray.
There is nothing wrong with the AI but it's only a single passenger boat, I know some people prefer it that way
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Overpriced for the mainland. Don't go over $2K for the red one. Don't pay that for the yellow one unless it's free of corrosion, has a perfect sail, no cracks and includes some other goodies. Like wheels.

That age, you need to be a little careful. Check the base of the masts for cracks or repairs. If you see any corrosion around the Aka mounts, pop them and look underneath.

Ask that a leak test be done or do it yourself. Check around the drive well, under the seat and around all fittings. Amas develop leaks too BTW. Usually when dropped on their drain plugs.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DE_c9uXYMU[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Domromer,

I am selling my 2010 AI for about 1800. It is in very good shape, no leaks and has a bunch of extras.

I am on Anna Maria Island. If you are interested in it I will post some pics. Red, tramps, 2 carts, live well setup and rod holders...

Luto

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

THAT is a sweet deal. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Luto, I'm down on lido key today maybe I could swing by, would you mind emailing done pics to [email protected].

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Run, don't walk! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

yeah seeing as I have two set of tramps with custom red SS cams on them. two carts (one fat wheel), two set of turbo fins, A nice seat from sea to summit (170$ new)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I couldn't make it down yesterday. We had a bunch of errands that took up a bunch of time. Would you mind sending those pics when you get a chance.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Pics sent. Forgot to mention, there are pulley upgrades, rub plates, oversized rudder, and the Drive is near perfect. Cleaned all the time and treated with Lanox. Ama bungees are upgraded to doubles, and sail is perfect. I forgot to take pics of the cart. It is the oversized wheel version for our soft sand.

Also stored inside.

Oh yeah, on the leaking front hatch, mine does very little. But I have a theory on what is happening:

Essentially the bow flexes and when it does it literally pumps water through the seal. The seal is like a beer cap. The better solution would be to make it like a wine cork by putting a hard foam "cork" on the inside of the hatch. I never got around to it....

Dean

PS: I am leaving in in early Nov. So it goes on craig's list later this week. I will raise the price to 2000 but with all the extras and the great condition, I would say 2200 is about fair. It only has about 30 hours of water time on it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dean, you could get $2800 with "Hakas"! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Funny I was looking at doing that design. I had stainless plates as the cross bars designed and priced out from a place that does sheet metal work. I was going to use Southern Pine here in FL. Evidently this particular wood has one of the highest torsional strength of the woods. So it would have been ideal for the flex problem.

Alas, I can now go to the dark side and use my friends 22 bay boat when I visit....

Cheers.