Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2013 nationals
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That rally racer is speaking to me. I don't have regular crew on my 18 and the standards of what I scrounge up can be pretty low.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Weather was so nice today, hopefully the racing down there was good as well. I wish I could get down to watch some of it. Good luck to everyone racing (especially the 18 fleet!).

Not sure if this is the best place to spread the word, but if anyone is looking for a cool place to swing by for a drink consider stopping by BeerFoot down at 28th and Seawall (http://www.yagaspresents.com/beerfoot/). Not only do they carry some good local beers but they also brew their own beer on-site as well. Chill atmosphere, good beers, and nice beach view - what more could you ask for?!

*Disclaimer - I don't work for BeerFoot but my buddy Mark is the head brewer down there, so if you pop by during the day see if he's there - he'll talk your ear off about brewing beer, sailing, or both.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Skipshot wrote:
I don't have regular crew on my 18 and the standards of what I scrounge up can be pretty low.

No excuses John, I got someone for you at Coyote. Let's go.

Fleet 259 Central Coast California

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Scott.. why are you not here!
Great day Tuesday, beach day yesterday, maybe today as well (Thursday) but looking for another great day Friday to finish the week...
Forcast for 18 events:.... N Cal in 2013, Clear Lake Iowa in 2014...... let's get those numbers back up! (that's the scuttlebutt anyway)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

musicman wrote:
Scott.. why are you not here!

I would have loved too but just couldn't make it that far. My fleet (259) decided to take 5 H18s to Mexico and support the Tucson Fleet. We had 18 Hobie 18s at that event. Two of the sailors were new to Hobie 18s and had a blast! We had more 18s on the start line than 16A's!!!!!! Mexico was a BLAST.

I am with you in spirit and hope to sail with you at the North Americans next year. (We are putting a proposal together to have H18s and H20s North Americans in California next August......stay tuned!)

H18s......grow the Fleet!!!!!!! Rescue a boat, find a sailor, teach.........repeat

Fleet 259 Central Coast California

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Man.... That guy is good....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Racing is over, after a great week here in Galveston. Thanks to all at HCA who put this together.. A Fantastic Venue at Poretto Beach!

Results are now posted. 18 results as follows:

17065 Jim Doty, Jr./Barbie Doty

16927 Paul Evenden/Tawnya-Dhaun Fox

1/0 daniel flanigan/James Flanigan

16761 David Raughley/Isabelle Strasser

16942 Stephen Cooley/sabrina Cooley

15840 Chris Wessels/Alex Bommersbach

15976 Bob Johnson/Lydia Brown

17075 Gerald Valeske/Tehjay Fox

16928 Gillian Thomson/Connor Durham

16785 Cal Bridge/Kerri Hardisty

77 Shaun Roberts/Alexander Roberts

17085 Chris Johnston/Margie Johnston

Full Results here:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Updated the Google drive with more pictures I found floating around... Feel free to add to it... Or email/PM me and I can add them to the collection..

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

But somebody talk to me... How does Enrique so consistently stay out in front of some really great sailors? Where are ya'll getting beat? That is amazing...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You answered your own question with the word "consistent".He is just consistently doing the right things on a higher average then others.
In other words he is probable sailing the boat almost perfectly 95% of the way around the course.Where some of the other mortals are in the 90-95% range.There is not a big difference ,but it all adds up around the course.
Interestingly had this conversation with a few guys that have raced against him more then me.But we all seem to agree,it is not like he has an extra gear then any of the other top guys,just that he has the concentration and confidence to get in the high gear faster and keep it longer.
Also very easy to pick out Enrique from pics and video,his positioning and the boats attitude are nearly always perfect.
That is one mortals take on it.Would be intersecting to hear others.Have to admit it is pretty darn impressive what he is doing.Can not think of too many other One Design Classes where one guy is so totally dominant.Inspires you to try to take your game to a higher level.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmadge wrote:
One Design Classes where one guy is so totally dominant.Inspires you to try to take your game to a higher level.

Thumbs up!

I have found it tough to ask the right questions... "what is he doing to be so fast?" always sounds like someone looking for a magic one word fix...

Your answer is probably right MMadge... The question is... how do we mere mortals train to close some of that gap?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Enrique is a sponsored ,Pro Sailor.Don,t get me wrong yes he is very talented,but he gets far more opportunities to sail and race against the very best then most others.
Combine his talent with all those opportunities makes him very tough.
Will be interesting to see if he can keep his record in tack at the Worlds,where there will be 10-15 other guys that are Enrique fast.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A little after the fact, but I'll give y'all an update on Friday. Wind was 20-25, higher gusts, waves 6-8 feet. Lots of carnage - boats capsizing, parts breaking. Many boats either didn't go out or came back in. We went out, took a look around, and decided that if we stayed out we'd probably be making a call to the insurance adjuster so we came back in. We considered staying out and just sailing conservatively so we'd move up in the standings with so many boats out, but just decided it wasn't worth it. As it turned out, we lost three places by not racing, but it wasn't a big deal to us. Over the course of Friday's three races, there was a broken front crossbar, broken comp tip, tillers broke, trap wires broke, one boat dismasted, a couple people got washed off their boats, jib sheet broke, and on and on. In the last race there were only 17 Hobie 16s left out of a 44-boat field. Four 18's started the last race, three finished. It was a great day to watch from the beach and just be around to lend assistance to those that needed it.

Despite being involved in a three boat pile up on Tuesday and the tough conditions on Friday, going to NACs was a total blast!! If you like to race you ought to go next year. We learned a ton and enjoyed meeting a lot of great sailors and great people.

Everyone associated with planning and executing the event did a fabulous job. Special shout outs to Bridget Quatrone, Chris Wessels, Jane Sherrod, Mark Santorelli, Bob Johnson and everyone else. Chase boat guys were very busy and did a great job of keeping everyone safe in some challenging conditions. On the water, on the beach, and after hours, this was a first class event. Can't wait for next season.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was the Gate boat "Swimmer" Thursday and the Committee boat/ Jet Ski Swimmer on Friday.

I am Local (North of Houston), and have never seen the Gulf as flat as it was on Thursday.

Friday is the wildest water I have been on/in.

I really enjoyed working the event, but the next one I go to, I'm competing.

1986 Hobie 18 #13031

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Speaking of Enrique, I watched all three starts on Friday. In all three starts he passed astern of the Commitee boat by 10-12 feet, at full speed, 1 second or so before the starting horn. I was just observing, and he came out of nowhere it seemed.

1986 Hobie 18 #13031

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mark: I actually took my family to visit my son in Houston this weekend. Couldn't get down to Galveston but was with y'all in spirit. Friday must have been nukin'. I'm proud of you guys....I'd have never lasted that many days even if the conditions were better.

Jeff: I see you're from Todd Mission. We spent Sat. at the Texas Renaissance Festival....first time back in ~20 years. Don't know the locals take on it, but we sure had a great time there!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next