Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Water in mast
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had thought about that Tom, having built a few clubs, but the mast gets so hot setting in the sun that I wondered if it would reactivity the epoxy??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jdavis: Those plugs look pretty good to me, but I've never seen the plugs in the comp-tip before....only the ones in an aluminum mast. And just to further clarify.....the only reason I mentioned removal and replacement was to get out the water that's already inside, which I think you said was in the aluminum section.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes R&H, I went ahead and pulled the comptip because I had caulked the entire mast this year and still ended up with water in mast at end of season. Had not been flipped but was set up on lake for the last month and a half only rained on. I read here where condensation can form on inside of mast I don't kno if that's what has happened but some of water was trickling out at seam where comtip meets aluminum so thought possibly rain was getting in?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I decided to take off luff track so I could paint the comtip with appliance paint per earlier in this thread. I was careful to snap it off comtip but some pieces of comtip track have chiped off as well. I don't know if I did this ( I was being very gentle with a screw driver, honest). Anyhow this is pic of worst area about 6-7" is there away to repair? Does it need to be repaired? In all there's about 11 half inch chips over 3-1/2' all on this one side 'Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

when I painted my comptip last spring, I just taped over the luff track..........

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sxrracer wrote:
when I painted my comptip last spring, I just taped over the luff track..........

Same here. Much easier than dealing with the track.

To answer the question though, I think you need to use your best judgement here. A 6" long section isn't all that long, so you may not need to do anything. Pop the track on and see how it looks. Is it loose or does the track pull away from the mast at all when the sail is rigged and tensioned? The highest load is at the head of the sail, so if the damage is towards the middle of the track, it may not be a problem. If the track pulls away from the mast, I would probably try glueing it in place with either epoxy or something strong but flexible like 3M 5200 sealant. Keep in mind that if you glue it, you may never get the track off again if needed. Another option would be to use one or two sheet metal screws to fasten the track to the comptip (use silicone to seal). This would be strong but also removable.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is the foam plug the same for the mast of a 14 and a 16. I need to replace the ones in my 14 because of mast leak. That pllus new rivets everywhere needed. Is the 3m 5200 what you use to hold the foam in? How deep should they go? just enough to clear the mast base and head.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The plugs for the 14 and 16 would be different since the 16 is a much larger cross section than the 14. Not sure exactly how far in you need to push in the plugs, but you should be able to measure the current plugs before removing to get an idea of the depth. It isn't rocket science, so a little variation won't hurt anything. Keep in mind that 5200 is a permenant adhesive an probably overkill for this application. I think I'd just stick with a high grade marine silicone.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There should be a foam plug inside the aluminum section. They shrink and break the seals. Re apply something aggressive like 3M 5200 to re-seal the plug. I use Automotive Bondo to seat the CompTip in place.