Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:10 am 
Site Admin

Announced to dealers just yesterday... not yet in dealers stock, but available at Hobie Cat.

We have very exciting news! Hobie Cat has developed a furling accessory for kayak sails! Furling is now possible on any Mirage kayak sail (not for i-Series)! Simply furl (roll) the sail around the mast and un-furl when you are ready to sail. Safely rig and launch with the sail furled, un-furl when ready to sail. Furl or partially furl if the wind gets too strong, furl when returning to the beach / dock.

Installation / Use Instructions: http://static.hobiecat.com/web_uploads/2013/10/22/84517001.pdf

This greatly improves the usability of our kayak sail kits! In addition... Kayak sail kits are now coming with a full-length bag which allows storage with the sail furled on the mast.

This kit can be added to any Mirage kayak sail kit sold since day-one. It is simple to install and easy to use.

Here is a quick description of the installation and use: A furler sheave is clamped to the mast at its base. Line in a loop, with two control balls, is routed outboard and aft to the seat position. You can furl or un-furl in either direction from the seated position. Simply reach forward and pull one ball towards you to un-furl. Reach forward and pull the other ball towards you to furl again. Simple and clean "sea-saw" action and no loose line ends to deal with. The furler control lines can easily be removed from the kayak for storage.

Pure Hobie! In stock now.

84517001 FURLER KIT-KAYAK SAIL $49.99 List (USA / USD 10-2013)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:14 am 
Site Admin

Here is a detail shot of the new custom Hobie parts in the kit.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is bound to turn out to be one of the most helpful accessories that Hobie has yet offered. If you have the accessory sail kit, and haven't made your own furling device (and in some cases even if you have) you'll want one of these. At 50 bucks they're giving it away. Worth every penny.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great news...even though I have the home made PVC version, my pedals hit it sometimes so I will pick up one of these. Can we order on line or only through the dealer? Bob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

We don't sell direct, so through a dealer. Many dealers have online sales.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am very interested in this furling system, but can it be attached to an Oasis? I have long arms, but it might still be to much of a reach for me to secure hardware. Also, can it be attached to the port side?

Enjoy,
Longbikermike
sent by iPad using TapaTalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I contacted my dealer today and will be going over on Thursday to order my furling kit. I think this is one neat, sweet accessory item that will really be a big improvement on the basic sailing kit. I can hardly wait to put it to use. I especially like the simplicity of the system. Good Job Hobie! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Is there a youtube video of it in action?

After reading the instructions, looking at the photos, a major MAJOR part is missing;
There is nothing explaining the rope, or what ever, that is actually attached to the sail that fuels and unfurls the sail.

Is that a long bungee or something?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Longbikermike wrote:
I am very interested in this furling system, but can it be attached to an Oasis? I have long arms, but it might still be to much of a reach for me to secure hardware. Also, can it be attached to the port side?

I'm very interested in this for my Oasis as well. From my experience, installing pad eyes in the firewall - very doable, especially if you have long arms.

My question, with the short well behind the rear seat on the Oasis, is there enough length for the full furler line/bungee/hook assembly?

SkiPro3 wrote:
Is there a youtube video of it in action?

After reading the instructions, looking at the photos, a major MAJOR part is missing;
There is nothing explaining the rope, or what ever, that is actually attached to the sail that fuels and unfurls the sail.

Is that a long bungee or something?

Actual pictures/videos on kayak would be great - I know we'll be seeing some once people are able to purchase and install - would be nice if Hobie provided some up front.

From the diagrams in the instructions, it looks like the furler line is just a loop around the furler assembly, attached to the sail mast. I'm assuming tension from the shock cord allows the loop to turn the assembly to furl/un-furl.

-Sam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks like Hobie's idea has the whole mast spinning. Simple unfurlers, home built, spin just the sail and not the mast, making the whole job a lot easier. Check out youtube for examples of what I speak of. One rope systems; pull the rope one way and it unfurls. Pull the rope the other way, it furls back up. The rope is tied to the sail and to the roller on the mast that spins freely but attached to the bottom of the sail via a couple pulleys.

A video would explain their product better.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The advantage to spinning the mast is that you no longer have to move forward to release the downhaul bungee - something which seems a little tough on anyone beyond a certain age of fighting a bit of mid belly bulge.

Depending on how the continuous furler line attaches, Hobie's design could easily be a step up from the standard home made furlers that many of us have put together.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The more I look at this, the more compelled I am to put my PVC furling device to the side and give this a shot. The first reason is to Tom's point that the downhaul bungee attaches directly to the device and not the hull. This not only addresses the belly factor, it makes for quicker deployment. My other reason is that the continuous line eliminates the extra line in the kayak which means less to get tangled on.

I am not too keen on putting more holes in my Hobie so I am going to try and wait it out and see how it fares for others.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Mike,
I'm heading to the dealer tomorrow to order the furling kit. They don't have one in stock so it may take some time to get it in. However, as soon as I get it I'll do the install and take some pictures and post them if nobody has beat me to it. I'm looking forward to this little addition. I like the idea of not having a bunch of lines inside the cockpit with me so having them on the side makes good sense. Later - :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks. Hope it comes lickety split for you. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Longbikermike
sent by iPad using TapaTalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

forsee in the future fulings going on the i series as well? sure would be nice for us travelling kayakers