Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice on no drill ff
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just bought the 2014 Outback and wanting to install my fish finder. Any suggestions on how to mount it without drilling holes?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I did mine through the hull. Glue it to the hull right infront of the sail mast holder or right behind either way. HObie sells a kit for the transducer and then you add the grease instead of glueing... Your choice.. Check out the catalog for ordering number. Austin Kayak has the product.

http://www.austinkayak.com/

Do a search on their site and get the kit. good Luck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I make a ring out of duct seal to create a small well. I put the transducer in the well and pour in a little water. I like this set up because I move the FF between several kayaks. I just run the cables for the transducer and the battery out the front hatch and then close and bungee it. I the bungee to both seal the hatch and to hold the FF in place. I am 6'3" and have long arms so I like having the head unit on the front hatch.

Here is a pick of how the head unit sits:

Here is a pick of the well with the transducer sitting in it (in a different kayak). Please forgive the lens flare :)

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You might epoxy a mounting bracket to the hull... otherwise, you'll probably have to drill some holes but, if you seal them with Goop or similar, they should work. Mounting the transducer in duct seal is very simple and it works. Mounting it near the mast socket such that the mirage drive is in the cone of the transducer signal can interfere with the return and cause a distorted display. I moved mine forward, almost to the sharp "V" of the hull, and it seems to work fine.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since you have a 2014 model Outback, the transducer can be mounted in the "Lowrance ready" fitting directly if it's a Lowrance or by buying the Humminbird transducer adapter for $10 at your Hobie dealer.
The wiring requires no drilling as there is a port and starboard thru hole already installed......the Outback comes with a kit with a selection of wire plugs to seal the wires....based on the number of wires and actual overall wire diameter coming through the hull.
Next is mounting the fish finder display without drilling any extra holes.....some guys have used the cup holder with an pvc or wooden insert, some have used the mast mounting tube and then some have used bungee cords......this is where I would use a Ram mount as it provides easy mounting with only two screws to secure the 1" ball mount base......simple, easy and reliable....that's it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A 1" ram ball with a few screws won't hurt a thing.

This is how I had mine mounted with a wire cap from west marine.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the advice! Yeah the transducer will not be a issue since the 2014's have a recessed area underneath for the transducer. Wanted to mount the display without having to drill. I like the Ram mount idea just hate the idea of drilling holes in my boat lol. I guess when the new wears off i'll go with that. I think I've figured a way to mount it with PVC and use the sail mount hole without having to drill. If that don't work then i'll have to drill. I'll post pics if it works! Thanks again for the responses!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Not to keep going, but you could get the ram ball mount for the sail mount. No drilling there. I have the 1 1/2 for my PA14. It's plenty sturdy for a FF.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Captain Yak did you have to cut a hole in the sail tube to run your wires up to it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I currently own a 2013 PA-14 and I can tell you locating the fish finder display in the mast hole is waaaaayyyy to far for me to see and easily change screen views.....the same is true for my old Outback.
Based on owning two Hobie kayaks, using the 1" Ram ball mount is the easiest and best scheme.......I bought the 6" extension arm to get the display closer for changing the view.....it's mounted on the starboard, black mounting board on my PA-14.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pdxfisher wrote:
I make a ring out of duct seal to create a small well. I put the transducer in the well and pour in a little water. I like this set up because I move the FF between several kayaks. I just run the cables for the transducer and the battery out the front hatch and then close and bungee it. I the bungee to both seal the hatch and to hold the FF in place. I am 6'3" and have long arms so I like having the head unit on the front hatch.

Here is a pick of the well with the transducer sitting in it (in a different kayak). Please forgive the lens flare :)

What is on the end of your rod in the first picture? A bowling ball?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

happy yaking wrote:
Captain Yak did you have to cut a hole in the sail tube to run your wires up to it?

I use it for a go pro. I no longer have my outback. I was showing you the mount as an option for your ff. If you were to use that mount, you would have to run the wire through the hatch. The wire and the mount won't fit through the sail post.

Your best bet is drilling and using the provided wire locations on your 2014. You won't regret it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
I currently own a 2013 PA-14 and I can tell you locating the fish finder display in the mast hole is waaaaayyyy to far for me to see and easily change screen views.....the same is true for my old Outback.
Based on owning two Hobie kayaks, using the 1" Ram ball mount is the easiest and best scheme.......I bought the 6" extension arm to get the display closer for changing the view.....it's mounted on the starboard, black mounting board on my PA-14.

This was only to show him the Ram sail mount. It's for a camera mount. Definitely too far away for a ff on the PA.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thinwater skinner wrote:
pdxfisher wrote:

What is on the end of your rod in the first picture? A bowling ball?

No, a sturgeon that was around 6 feet long. Gotta love living in Portland, OR.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FYI, here is a really nice video on the topic of through hull kayak transducer mounts that I looked at before deciding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEZ9_C1iKP0