Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: daggerboard repair
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,
I guess that I sailed on shallow water... or that a shark ate a part of one of my Hobie 18 daggerboard (sailing on a lake, this would be pretty amazing). Anyway, I have to repair or replace my daggerboard.
Is it possible to repair? I should say that there is about 2 inches missing.
The other one is intact.

Any tips or advice for the newcomer that I am? Thanks

p.s.: I had initially posted this message on the wrong forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It would help if you could post a picture so we can see the damage. It is probably possible to repair. But, you have to decide how much money and time you want to invest in the repair. I see used boards on ebay periodically for good prices. Many of these need the have the edges refinished, but that is much easier than adding 2" to the bottom of a board.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: daggerboard add on
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

well guess what- I had the same misfortune of losing 2 inches on one dagger. Actually I CAN account for it- because the board doesn't trailer all that well ---I scalped it on RT 88 when it lowered itself for a beam reach! I'm a newbie. But I was anxious to repair it and NOT buy a new one (sailors pride) I actually sailed it a couple times with the foam exposed so I may be in for a dissappointment down the lake. (wet foam?) But I made a "form" out of 1/4 marine ply with a tail on it and stuck it up in the center after cleaning out the foam the best I could. I loaded it up with epoxy pretty good and proceeded to coat the new core with 406 additive. I did it in two steps because I left the ply undersized so I could match the original taper. I have pictures of the whole process I would post if anyones interested. Have to see how it holds up - but I am mostly worried about it delaming because of a wet core- even though it seemed dry. BTW anyone ever coat their boards in graffite? I might want to do this if the repair holds and I refinish the whole daggerboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you don't care what it weighs, repair it. If you are racing then buy one which needs cosmetics. They can be repaired but with that much gone chances are it will break under load. Certainly will break again if any contact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

H20
What a great story!
I am sure that those daggerboard are repairable
I was tempted to put poprivet?
Know about those?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good story- right- I have a sense of humor!! I have heard of pop rivets but in all my days I have never tried. I can see the "blind" idea making sense but these boards seem almost fragile to me- I can't believe they hold up but I guess they do. Probably better use stainless at all costs. Do you plan on covering over ??? It seems they might bust up the shell of the board when you shoot them. The problem with my repair is epoxy isn't compatable with gel coat. I plan on doing a graphite epoxy over the whole bottom half of the board this winter- kinda like a two tone job. I really jump into things and have repaired a few dings in the hull with epoxy- now I need to see if I can seal them to cover with gel coat- but I guess I can grind them out- not very apatizing. I posted some pictures at
http://homepage.mac.com/johnferrari/PhotoAlbum27.html
all in all pretty funny but you can probably buy for way less than a hun.
good luck
ps- can't see how a few onces is going to make a difference, but rules are rules when it comes to racing. Thats if you can catch me!

Last edited by H2O on Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the pictures H2O.
A picture is worth a thousand words.