Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Please help out fellow Hobie sailor, Bob Burns who is battling a severe medical condition.

Bob, his wife Danielle and young son Aiden live in Western New York State.

Please help support Bob with his immense medical expenses.

Hobie Cat Fleet 204 is raffling off your choice of either a Hobie 16 or Hobie 18 custom set of sails.

If you are the winner you can pick from current Hobie Cat sail colors to design your own set of sails.

All of the money collected from this raffle will be donated to the Burns' family medical expenses.

Go To: http://www.fleet204.com/burns.shtml to help.

Thank You;
Rico Quatrone
Fleet 204

( See the update below )

Last edited by Deq204 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you!

We have a winner from the 2013 North American Championships and it is everyone.

THANK YOU!

Fleet 204 sincerely thanks all involved in the help provided.

Thank you for helping the family of fellow sailor Bob Burns!

Long time Hobie Cat sailor and Division 16 / Fleet 119 Member Bob Burns is battling leukemia.

Bob, his wife Danielle and young son Aiden live in Western New York State.

And the Winner of a choice of either a Hobie 16 or Hobie 18 custom set of sails is ...........

Well here is a short report:

As publicized, Hobie Cat Fleet 204 held a raffle to raise money to help fellow sailor Bob Burns and his Family. Bob is battling Leukemia, and the expenses of: testing donors; bone marrow; medical exams; and ongoing living expenses continue to mount.

We at Fleet 204, with the help of Rob and Darcie Jerry of Boatworks-Ltd and the good people at The Hobie Cat Company, got together and decided to hold a sail raffle... ... ... not just any raffle however, a custom set of sails, for either a Hobie 16 or 18.

We sold tickets, (250 tickets at $25.00 each) , with the raffle drawing to be held at the awards ceremony of the Hobie 16 / 18 North American Championships, Galveston, TX, October 19 - 25, 2013.

So we draw a ticket, and announce Chris Wessels, former HCA Chairman, division 9 and Clear Lake Iowa Sailor, WINS! Congratulations Chris!, but ... ... ... ...

In the true spirit of the Hobie Way Of Life, Chris offers the CUSTOM SET OF SAILS, a $2000.00 value, up for auction, to the sailors present, and there were a lot. And donated the proceeds of the spontaneous auction to the Burns family fund.

So the bidding starts at $500.00 and quickly climbs to over $1000.00, and a final winner at over $1,300.00, is Hobie Cat Sailor Mike Montague of California, THANKS MIKE!

Other fund were also raised from the generosity of Fleet 204 Commodore Therese Straigis, who through her company, Mohawk Global Logistics and the Michael J. McSherry Charitable Fund raised $1000.00

Now the final #'s aren't in yet but thanks to the generosity of the Hobie Sailors, Friends and Families, the Michael McSherry Charitable Fund, the raffle money, the Spontaneous Auction Money, Chriss Wessels, Boatworks LTD, Fleet 204, The Hobie Cat Company, and while at the Canandaigua Yacht Club, CMOR Division 16 Regatta, (the place where this raffle idea was born), more funds from various raffles and fund raising activities, ... ... ... ... we will report back, but the generosity has raised more than $7,000.00 to help this wonder family in a time of need.

Thank You

Sincerely;

The Members of Hobie Cat Fleet 204

If you would still like to donate to this wonderful family, please send a check or funds :

Made out to:
Hobie Cat Fleet 204

and mail to:

Hobie Cat Fleet 204
Dr. Bill Whalen, Treasurer
8254 Honeysuckle Drive
Liverpool, NY 13090

Last edited by Deq204 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One clarification - not only did Wessels offer the set of sails for auction, but he donated the proceeds to help Bob Burns. Truly, one of the most selfless and classiest acts of kindness that I've seen. Way to go Chris.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes he did!

I updated the previous post to better reflect his generosity.

Thanks!

Other things that were happening, was the amount of emotion shown at the event for our fellow sailor. Many there were touched by this and the support reflects that.

Thank you everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would venture to say that MOST of the people in that room would have done the very same thing, I am sure of it.
I credit my parents for my upbringing, my wife and my 3 kids and grandchild for the inspiration in doing the right thing and my Hobie friends for showing me the Hobie way of life. I wish Bob and Danielle the best and I hope Mike kicks the (censored) out of everyone with his new sails.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great people doing great things. Good on everyone involved.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm not going to repeat the above posts, please read them if you haven't already, but thank you.

Hey all;

Well the final report is in, and the generosity of the sailors and community exceeded or wildest dreams.
Thanks to all of you, we have raised 5 times what we thought was possible.

Through the kindness of: Fleet 204; Rob and Darcie Jerry of Boatworks-Ltd; The Hobie Cat Company; Chris Wessels; Mike Montague; Therese Straigis; Mohawk Global Logistics and the Michael J. McSherry Charitable Fund; Canandaigua Yacht Club; Fleet 204's Danielle Podejko who baked and sold goods; (Buffalo's) Fleet 119 Karen and Mike Grisko who orchestrated efforts in western NYS; all the sailors in Division 16 and Division 11 that bought tickets throughout the year; all the sailors, volunteers and friends that bought tickets at the NAC's; and all the people in the community, both in Syracuse, Buffalo, and others, that helped with the raffle and other fund raising ideas, we have raised $10,102.00 for this wonderful family.

Bob's battle with Lukemia continues, and reports are that he should be able to get out of the hospital for at least Christmas Day, if his doctors say it's ok.

Thank You

Sincerely;

The Members of Hobie Cat Fleet 204

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi All;

Well, Bob's final chapter has been written. Good man and fellow sailor, and a brother to everyone he met. I'm borrowing the photos and words of others from facebook to finish this posts. Rest Peacefully Bob.
RQ

(written 3-7-14 (by Laura Friend))
He fought a brave battle against refractory Acute Myloid Leukemia for the past 8 months until the very end. Danielle had him moved to Hospice on Wednesday evening because she didn't want the other transplant patients to get scared as they watched his final days.

I am sorry to tell you all this way, but it has been a long and emotional week. Your prayers and support throughout have touched the Burns family in so many ways.

For those of us who have lost loved ones, we all know that both their birthday and day they pass are very hard days. Bob held out until 12:45 this morning, his 49th birthday, so his family would not have that additional burden to bear.

A wake will be held Tuesday 3/11/14 from 5pm-9pm at Castiglia Funeral home: 873 Abbott road Buffalo NY 14220. All are welcome.

A memorial service will be held Wednesday 3/12/14 at St. Paul's church: 4275 Harris Hill Rd. Clarence NY 14031. All are welcome.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to Danielle Burns for Aidan Burns college education fund. Please contact me directly for any additional information you may need.

Thank you for all your prayers. Fair winds dear friend.