Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys,

i was out in moderate seas with 16 mph winds and ended up calling for a tow from the coastgaurd.
Close hauled, my friend hiking out on trapeze, the mast suddenly came crashing down. We struggled to pull the mast back on board and take the sail down. This was particularly hard with the mast head float as each 5 foot wave would pick the mast up and dump it on us.

Once we have lashed the mast down and radioed for some assiatnce, we saw that the problem was the shroud/stanchion on the starboard side had snapped cleanly through just below its attachment to the mast. There was no sign of corrosion or rust. The break happened inside the plsatic covering of the wire!

my question is, how frequently should we replace the rigging? Is there any way to assess it other than looking? My boat in a 2005 Hobie 15 club. Do i need to replace all the rigging now or just the broken stanchion?

thanks

Graham

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Plastic jacketing on wires reduces injury. Otherwise it obscures corrosion when it is nicked and water, especially salt water, gets in. I've heard five years is a good replacement interval but I know guys who've gone much longer. Replace all of them at the same time including bridles, fore-stay and trap wires. Don't forget the pig tail at the top of the jib too. If you are going with aftermarket, off brand or DIY rigging make sure they are double swaged.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Those wires can take a beating, we had one of ours on the verge of failing before we replaced it. (it had become a user hazard, wires everywhere!)

It never broke clean on us though, luck of the draw for you I guess..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It all depends what you're doing. Racing in salt water is recommended 1-2 year life for rigging. Our fleet tends to sail in 15-25kt wind... and I took a swim on Saturday when my "can't miss" trap line ring snapped and left me swimming after my flipped Miracle 20.

How hard do you sail? How often to you rinse it down after a salt water use? How often do you sail?

5 Years can probably work if you're not pushing it all the time.

H18 ('85)
H20 ('97)
H18 ('78)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a product called Sharkhide on all the rigging when new and at the first of every sailing season
I use a Q-tip for applying
Quality rigging every 5 years is a must around salt water
Keep the best old wire in the Hobie Hell box for an emergency spare
Former Hobie Admiral Gary