Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is fantastic! Would it be possible to get one of the new sail bags as a separate item as well so that those of us with old sail kits can stow on a fully assembled mast?

2013 Revolution 11 (2 of them!)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:13 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Longbikermike wrote:
I am very interested in this furling system, but can it be attached to an Oasis? I have long arms, but it might still be to much of a reach for me to secure hardware. Also, can it be attached to the port side?
The installation hardware includes through hull fittings. Neither the Oasis or Outfitter tandems have hatch access in this area. If you are comfortable using "wellnuts" then you should be able to install the system (you supply the nuts). It appears that the kit can be installed on either side, but normally sail handling is done opposite the rudder control so they can be operated simultaneously (right side for most of us).

katstep wrote:
forsee in the future fulings going on the i series as well? sure would be nice for us traveling kayakers
Since the i series uses a stayed mast, there is no way for it to spin and furl. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So who is going to give us the first report on how well this system works in practise then?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just picked up my 2014 Oasis on Sunday and, while doing some research on how I was going to furl my new sail kit, I came across this product. The first issue that I saw was the apparent interference with the furling line and the outboard-mounted oars. However, the other great point was brought up of actually getting access to bolt the guides on to the hull. I've done some quick and unsuccessful Youtube searches and read the installation manual to see if I could find some tips but still don't feel comfortable enough to buy one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I finally got out today & sailed my Adventure around with the new furling kit installed. It works great. I decided to use a longer line instead of the one provided in the kit. I ended up using the line provided with the sail as the mainsheet. It brought the line back past the cockpit so I could open the sail in two pulls & made it super easy to reach. I routed the mainsheet to a camcleat with fairlead on the left side just forward of the cup holder which also worked well. I like having the furling line on the right & the mainsheet on the left.

The new furler is definitely a big improvement over the DIY pvc furler which I used before. Thanks Hobie!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just recently purchased a sail ans furling kit for my 2011 mirage oasis. It seems that the standard installation instructions will cause the furling lines to conflict with the normal travel of the pedals. In order to remedy this problem, it seems that the fairlead would have to be installed forward of the mast which would result in a long stretch for the furling lines. It seems like this would also result in quite a bit of friction on the furling lines as they pass through the fairlead. Has anyone successfully installed a furling system on an oasis tandem? Sure would like to know some answers before I start drilling.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi bjfrick1,
I installed a furler on my 2010 Oasis as soon as they came out. I followed the directions as written for the installation (See note for installation of furler on older Oasis from Dec. 2, 2013). Once I tried it out the pedals did run against the furler line. I normally set my pedals at 6 for routine use. Now when I'm using the furler I set the pedals at 5 and don't push as far forward as I used to. When I have the sail and furler in place but don't plan to use it for a while I simply take the line off the mast pulley and let it rest against the mast. That gives me enough space to reset my pedals back to 6. If I were to do the install all over again I would put the fairlead even with the mast. Since the furling line has plenty of give due to the bungee used at the rear of the system, just touching the line with the pedals shouldn't cause any major problems IMO. Others may feel differently about this issue.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased the fuller for a 2012 Oasis. I have not been able to figure how to avoid hitting the furling line with my toes with it set above 4-5. Normally mine are set on 7. If I set the drum above my toes it is too high above the fairlead. Any ideas other than setting the drum lower and short stroking the peddles? If this does not work on the Oasis it sure would be nice to know.. I would welcome any suggestions. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Admin/Hobie

Can we get a Video of how to install these furler systems please

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:57 am 
Site Admin

Video instruction is in the plan. Not sure the ETA yet.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)