Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just got my new PA14 and am thinking of ways to get it to the water. I know what your thinking, just get some wheels for it; I will eventually but I also will be toting my PA threw the brush and threw some woods where rolling the kayak along just wouldn't work well. When I picked the thing up for the first time it was kind of awkward to get ahold of and carry by myself. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to carry an unrigged PA? I'm thinking of putting a couple ratchet straps around the middle of the hull to give myself some better handholds next time I bring it out. What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I admire your determination and hope that you're a "weightlifter" by trade. I can understand the need to transport the PA through some areas that you would not be able to roll it through, but even without anything loaded in it, it's still cumbersome and has a decent amount of weight. I could see 2 people carrying a single PA through the woods, but it's hard to imagine one person doing it.

Some folks have drug their PA behind them, but there's the risk of gouging the hull it you drag it across the wrong surface.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It's got a bit of weight to it for sure, I can manage to carry it for a while but I know I would be smoked if I tried going more then a few hundred feet with it. I've never seen anyone with it on their boat, but does anyone make something like a big Kevlar sticker to put on the bottom to keep it from getting gouged when dragging or going over sharp rocks/shells?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If I can't back my trailer up to the edge of the launch, I don't launch :mrgreen:

I do on occassion, use my Trax 2 cart. While there are some places I would like to launch that are not trailer/cart friendly, I simply find a place near that location and launch from there. With a PA, you can launch a distance from where you wish to fish as it is a easy pedal to get there in most cases.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've carried mine a couple times from my garage to truck....about 20 yards! A bare to the bones PA14 weighs around 100 lbs. As mentioned above it isn't too tough with 2 people but 1? I've pushed and pulled mine on a cart with all my gear about 3/4 mile. If $ is a problem you can make a cheap cart out of PVC and wheels from Harber Freight. You can always use the cart and lug it around areas that a cart won't work?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Using the Hobie scupper cart, I've rolled mine about a mile...the cart is invaluable for the PA owner. Or you can simply back the trailer up to the water too :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you're planning on tackling terrain that a cart wouldn't work, hand carrying it isn't going to work very well either. As you've already found it's an awkward beast to lift and move alone, especially when we're talking long distances. The PA14 might not be the best boat if the spots you like to fish are very inaccessible through thick brush.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think you're going to need a smaller kayak...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I grab the hull by the side carry handle. I don't use the handle cause I don't want to take a chance ripping it out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've used the cart or trailer. I am going to 100% trailer now since after 5 consecutive of loading in back of my 4x4 truck I did my back in! The boat is just too heavy for me to take a chance on my back again. Pedaling to location is easier than wearing myself out or hurting my back unloading /loading and then dragging it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ONe quick question: How long are your legs? I am willing to bet your trip to the water should not be more than 30 feet is you are going to carry it without help. Good Luck on this one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

bruce19365, You make me laugh!

I could not imaging carrying the PA for more than a few feet. It is heavy and very awkward.

Why not get a piece of exterior rug or something like that and strap it from one side handle then under the hull to the other side handle? Let it hang down like a cape that is slightly longer than the rear of the yak, lift the yak from the front (use a deer drag sling that is over your shoulder so you are not lifting with your arms) and drag it over the uneven surfaces to the water. That is what people do with canoes when they portage over short pieces of land and those canoes are often fully loaded. Let the rug or other item be a sacrificial piece that you can replace when it wears out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lunker1 wrote:
bruce19365, You make me laugh!

I could not imaging carrying the PA for more than a few feet. It is heavy and very awkward.

Why not get a piece of exterior rug or something like that and strap it from one side handle then under the hull to the other side handle? Let it hang down like a cape that is slightly longer than the rear of the yak, lift the yak from the front (use a deer drag sling that is over your shoulder so you are not lifting with your arms) and drag it over the uneven surfaces to the water. That is what people do with canoes when they portage over short pieces of land and those canoes are often fully loaded. Let the rug or other item be a sacrificial piece that you can replace when it wears out.

Nice idea. I never thought of it that way.. But then I have not owned a canoe either. thanks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't believe for a minute anyone can pick up, let alone carry their PA14. I'd pay a dollar to see a youtube video of someone picking up and carrying a PA 50 feet to the water and set it back down without hurting themselves or the PA14.

Any takers?

I can barely roll mine UP a long boat launch without giving myself a heart attack and I consider myself in pretty good shape.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It sucks but it is doable. I would carry mine from the truck inside my townhouse. Only about 20 feet but I had to squeeze through a doorway too.

Get one of your straps and run it through the back scupper and the mirage drive hole and make a shoulder sling. It's not fun and you better be pretty strong