Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi folks,
Our i14t has given us an excellent ride in the year we've owned her.

However, I'm concerned that two of our last three trips resulted in a significant amount of water in the bilge - enough to make the boat wallow and feel unsafe before we got back to land. On the first trip in particular, it took ages to drain.

Our most recent, fairly brief trip, was on flat water and there was barely a cupful at the end.

What the other two trips had in common was swells of about a metre - but not steep enough to break into the boat. This seemed to rule out the idea of it coming over the top and entering the hull/bilge through the not-very-sealed upper skin (I've read Matt's comments in other posts on this subject). And we've had her in much worse and breaking seas in the past with no issue.

At present, we have her inflated on trestles at the moment, with a decent amount of water added to the bilge. This will help us find any leak out through the lower hull, which would be where the water was coming in when at sea. But so far nothing - the ground under the boat is dry as a bone. Either this theory is wrong, or I haven't got the water to where the leak actually is. Don't want to stress the boat by adding too much...

I'll now try the opposite, which is plugging the mirage holes and adding water in the seating area - just in case my "not over the top" theory is wrong (but don't think so).

Can anyone suggest any other places and ways to check for the origin? This one has me very puzzled and concerned. I will report back on the results of the "from the top" test.

Obviously it's still under warranty but, as our nearest dealer is 1000km away, I want to do whatever prudent diagnosis I initially can.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Update:

No significant water in the bilge after the "from the top" test. Again, perhaps I didn't have enough water in there (it's hard to get the mirage seals good enough).

I'm wondering what else to check. I guess we'll have to use it again and see what we learn from that, but we're usually on flattish water so it could be a while.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

On my last two trips on my i12 inflatable kayak I have water in the front of the bilge compartment, I get about a gal of water when I tipped the i12 on its front nose, where do you think the water is coming from, must be a leak in the outer cover, has anyone had the same problem?? Thanks for any help. Take care.-----Frank

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2012 or 2013 i14T. Last 3 trips about a gallon of water is in the bilge. Kayak stays fully inflated. Was there ever a solution posted or ideas where I can look to see where water is getting in? Thanks, Mike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:14 am 
Site Admin

Did you try soapy water? Bubble test?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Did you try soapy water? Bubble test?

This won't likely work since it's leaking into the bilge area - no leaking air out. It must have a lose scupper plug - the little tubes - you will need to make a repair using a patch kit (maybe only glue) Hard to say. It's a leak of the black bottom material somewhere. Hard to guess though - you will need to see where it is or get a dealer to help.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

On my last two trips on my i12 inflatable kayak I have water in the front of the bilge compartment, I get about a gal of water when I tipped the i12 on its front nose, where do you think the water is coming from, must be a leak in the outer cover, has anyone had the same problem?? Thanks for any help. Take care.-----Frank
Sorry I nerer posted this earlier, my Hobie i12 was still under warrrenty, shipped it back to Hobie
California, it was the scupper plugs, they fix the problem, no more water in bilge. Take care----Frank

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

I had the same problem. More water by rough weather and less by calm weather. I looked everything but I couldn't find the leak. By coincidence , I then found a small leak next to one of the draining opening . Probably the peg has caused the hole during the folding . Since then, I remove the plug completely before I fold the boat .

After I patched the hole there is no more water in the bilge.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

I had the same Problem with my I14t.

I had a lot of water in the bilge, especially in rough water.

Finally I found a 3 inch crack in the hull between the right side tube and the center air chamber, covered by the rear seat. As you know, in the I14t the rear seat is mostly under water when you have waves higher than 2 inches. so the water can permanently enter the hull.

Hope, that helps.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

Check the scupper tubes too.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Matt,
what are the Scupper tubes? The drain holes behind the backseat?

I attach pictures from my crack for better understanding.