Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New to Old Hobie 16
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Lake Anna is closer than 301. Summer would be rough on the lake with a lot of ski and bass boats running around. The Potomac might be the ticket or the Rappahannock A bit South of here. Will check out your other post. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Apparently there is a place you can launch near the new Lighthouse Point Marina. That'll be on your side and in better wind than the place I tried.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Located two concrete boat ramps on the Rappahannock River:

1. Port Royal by the 301 bridge. https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!da ... 3e10&fid=6

2. Hopyard Landing in King George. https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!q= ... -77.226169

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dakine929 wrote:
Located two concrete boat ramps on the Rappahannock River..

Those look WAY too small to be good sailing. Less than a mile wide gets old really fast. I suspect you'd have a lot more fun if you sailed out of Waugh Point Marina on the Potomac, or the one about a mile east that is right on the river. I don't know what is involved in using their beaches and ramps, but I'd like to find out. The second one I mentioned looks like really nice access.

'00 H16 #104691
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anton,

Your right. Both launch points are very restrictive. I'm trying to find areas to access that don't take over 45 minutes to get to (and a half tank of gas). In this traffic, that is asking a lot. The Potomac is the closest open body of water in the area.

Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are Waugh Point Marina and Fairview Beach too far away? Private facilities, but just ask what would be involved in launching the boat directly off the beach there. Might be able to even keep your boat there, mast up.

'00 H16 #104691
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I visited Waugh Point Marina and Fairview Beach today. I'm glad I was driving a jeep getting to Waugh Point. Gravel roads for miles and plenty of washboard. Beautiful place once you get there but can't see dragging a boat over that road.

Fairview Beach Marina had a ramp but charged $20 per use or $225 per season.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for that. The gravel road doesn't sound good to me, either.

The launch fee; well $20 is a bit steep but $225 per year doesn't sound that bad especially if you can keep the boat there (dunno if that's possible but I did see some boats on the satellite images). Gives you some incentive to get out. How far away is it for you?

There is a free sandy beach launch site at the base of the 301 bridge: Barnesfield Park. Mentioned in my Places to Sail thread, along with Westmoreland (farther downriver). Neither is that far.

Every time I sail, it's 250 miles and a $4 toll.

'00 H16 #104691
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The Fairview Marina is scary. I would hate to navigate through the docks under sail. The surrounding shore consists of chunks of concrete for erosion control.

I visited the 301 Bridge beach launch and depending on winds is very doable with a 4x4. Lots of loose sand about a foot deep getting to the hard-pack sand and water. I found an app for wind direction called SailFlow. Easy to look up Baber Point. Parking is limited.

I also visited the Dahlgren Yacht Club. Very nice ramp and docks. Requested membership info.

250 mile drive isn't enviable. To bad Lake Anna isn't sailboat friendly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Make a weekend out of your sailing trips and go out to the Rehoboth Bay Sailing Association on Rehoboth Bay, Delaware. It is beach cat heaven. A sea breeze almost every summer afternoon (can't say that about the Potomac or Chesapeake), flat water due to the barrier island, very little power boat traffic, a nice sandy beach to launch and recover from, year round on site storage and you can leave your mast up all season for about $500 a year (plus the initiation fee). You can camp at the state park 5 miles to the south of the club to keep expenses down. I live in Bowie, MD and have been a member for about ten years. It is the best beach cat sailing site on the East Coast. Check it out at RBSA.org or PM me.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for all of the research! I guess that leaves Leesylvania (Woodbridge) and maybe Westmoreland (past the 301 bridge) for Potomac access. Crazy to have that much water and so little public access. Do you think a 2WD car could launch from Baber Point using beach wheels to get the boat over the sand?

Don't forget Lighthouse Point on the Rappahannock.

The 250 miles is round trip, typically Charlottesville to Yorktown. Drop the kid at daycare, 2+ hours drive, rig, maybe 3 on the water, break down, 2+ hours back sort of thing. I'm pretty fast at the rig/unrig now, and don't waste time on the road.

And Jim (I know you were addressing the O.P. but ...) I was at Rehoboth a year ago, and what a great place it is! But it's 5+ hours away, and we have a toddler, and all of that. Day trips are my thing for now, other than the annual week at the Outer Banks and hopefully some race weekend here or there.

'00 H16 #104691
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Come race with us at RBSA......

Usually Mother's Day weekend and 1st weekend in October for Division races, various weekends throughout the summer for fleet races.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The 301 Bridge Beach launch would be best with beach wheels if you have them. Are you referring to Lighthouse Point in Deltaville? Delaware sounds nice. Have you considered Kinsale as an alternative?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Deltaville is the other side of the river, but it's the same area. The Lighthouse Point side would be better. Supposed to be access near the marina.

I'm not sure where exactly at Kinsale you're referring to, but from the town itself you have to navigate quite a bit of small stuff to get to the Potomac. If the prevailing winds are like the ones I'm used to, getting back would take an hour or more.

'00 H16 #104691
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Kin sale has a yacht club with sandy beach and nice access to the Chesapeake. A buddy of mine had his monohull there.