Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Met up with a few of the guys on Saturday and launched into FLAT CALM water at Dania Beach here in sunny South Florida. The fishing usually sucks when the water is that nice, but it was the maiden voyage in my new Outback (technically my Dad's but don't remind him :wink: ) so I was game for a nice cruise anyway.

Live goggle-eye bait was put out and I vertical jigged at 200', 250' then later in 340' and nothing was happening. I don't have a fish finder on this yak yet so I had to bug my friends for depth readings. So I was sitting there, Facebooking in 400 ft depth, and out of the corner of my eye I spy a Mahi investigating my bait. I turned off the clicker, let the line freespool, and held my breath... 1 nibble, 1 run, count to three and lock drag Fish on! After an acrobatic show I gaffed him and gave thanks to the fish gods.

I saw other schoolies with him, but by the time I re-rigged I was too late.

After that I got a small blackfin tuna, which I kept, thinking that was it for the day. It was about this time I looked in the hull for a snack and found 4 inches of water inside! Yep I had a slow leak on the brand new yak! One of my friends helped me out by loaning me his bilge-pump which I put to good use. We started heading in slowly, jigging along the way, close to noon and we might have been in 250' when I got hit on jig. Big bend in the rod, but another team member had just gotten a similar hit from a donkey of a Bonito so I expected the same. I had quite a nice fight and then as it got closer I realized it was a BFT of decent size. I was elated! I sunk the gaff in him, and smiled at a full fish bag. :D

I pumped out the yak one more time and made a beeline for shore.

PS: we found the leak, and it was not a manufacturer defect, it was a small puncture near the drivewell which we were able to fix in 10 minutes yesterday with a plastic welding kit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

How do you know it was not a mfg defect? Did you install it improperly or crash into anything?

I wonder if Hobie should make some sort of rubber shoe to line the interior of the drive well to absorb impacts. Stress is an altogether different issue.

Glad you had a nice day fishing though and you had buddies with you in case of emergency.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry, let me clarify, the hole was on the bottom of the kayak to one side of the drivewell. Not in the drivewell.
We think maybe when I put the kayak down in the parking lot at the beach (in the dark at 5:30am) I might have missed a piece of glass or a nail/screw that was on the ground. The guy at the shop was pretty cool about it, he said "Sh|t happens, lets see if we can fix that" and 10 mins later I was a happy camper.

I learned my lesson though: I'm buying a handheld pump because you never know what might happen when you're out on the water :?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Aaaand here's the video. Better late than never :wink:
http://youtu.be/c_d7E0BQ1lk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great video, I really loved all the jumps and the underwater footage of the dolphin. Man that water is so blue and clear!

Also, glad to hear you were able to easily fix the hull.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks PDX :D