Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone installed a TI cradle on a Malone trailer? How did you mount the cradle to the bars? What hardware was needed and could you use the pre-marked holes in the cradle?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,
I bought a Karavan adjustable trailer for my TI. I removed all bunks/brackets etc and then attached wooden planks lengthwise to the frame.
I then screwed on the Cradles to the planks located under the mirage drive wells with the kayak fully on the trailer. I used a single poly hull roller to support the hull forward near the mast on the trailer tongue extension. My trailer came with a galv winchpost that I added a bow bumper to to tie down the bow.
I did put a little foam under the cradles as I screwed them down giving them a little cushion. I then added sections of 1.25" PVC pipe in between the cradles and in front and behind of cradles for a total of 10 ft length. The hull is supported using cradles and pipe resting in hull groove, AMA's only in cradles
I aligned the PVC pipe along the ridge in the cradle separating the hull and the AMAs. This should fit into the 2 grooves along the hull on either side of the drive wells and also towards the rear scuppers. I then put some indoor outdoor rubberized carpet over the PVC pipes and stapled it tightly to the wooden planks.
I adjusted the foam under the cradles so that it was even in height with the carpet on the pipes, so the hull glides over it gently. I can easily pull my TI hull and AMAs once I lift the bow onto the carpeted PVC pipes at the rear of the trailer. I have the middle 2 planks a bit longer 2Ft overhang) extending back over the rear support bar of the trailer, the pipes are on top of this extension but there is a couple inch gap between the planks. I just lift the bow onto the carpeted planks as I push/pull the hull onto the trailer when hitching the boat back on the trailer.... not too hard and if I back deeper into the water, lifting only few inches. The gap in the planks is carpeted,along with the pipes guide the hull nicely forward and help straighten out the hull if there are winds/waves pushing hull sideways as you are trying to recover the kayak onto the trailer. I use rubber bungees attached the the TI grab handles and then clip onto trailer.

I designed it this way so I can unscrew the cradles and even pipes and use the trailer to haul stuff. Its very easy to lay the hull onto some plastic storage boxes in my garage floor as I wheel the trailer out from under the hull in the garage to use it to haul garbage to the dump ( I cover the carpet with a tarp)