Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Tickity tick
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:24 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:12 pm
Posts: 38
That is the sound my mirage drive is making with each stroke. This is a 2012 mirage drive in a brand new hull. It is very tight when trying to seat the mirage drive. The noise was never there on the old hull. When I work the mirage drive with my hands in the air it feels smooth as butter. I don't feel related feedback through the pedals when pedaling. Any ideas? Thanks. :)

_________________
2012 Mango Tandem Island


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tickity tick
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:05 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:29 pm
Posts: 2047
Location: High Point, NC
This is going to sound funny, but check to make sure nothing on your shoes or sandals is contacting the pedals as you move along. I had a noise on mine once and it disappeared when I went barefoot.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tickity tick
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:38 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 2699
Location: Kailua 96734
Which part of the stroke?

Have you tried adjusting the clew tensioner? And could it be contacting the hull bottom on a full stroke? I've seen this before where it would scratch small grooves in the hull over time.

There's another thread on this subject but maybe no definitive answer yet.

Maybe the new drop-in mirage wells have alignment issues. Maybe there's a parts change on the new drives.

Maybe it's shoelaces. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tickity tick
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:35 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:58 am
Posts: 1494
Location: Forster, NSW, Australia
What new drop in Miragedrive wells???? I try to keep up, but have not seen any mention of this....

_________________
Tony Stott
2012 Tandem Island "SIC EM"
www.scenefromabove.com.au


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tickity tick
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:38 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:12 pm
Posts: 38
NOHUHU wrote:
Which part of the stroke?

Have you tried adjusting the clew tensioner? And could it be contacting the hull bottom on a full stroke? I've seen this before where it would scratch small grooves in the hull over time.

There's another thread on this subject but maybe no definitive answer yet.

Maybe the new drop-in mirage wells have alignment issues. Maybe there's a parts change on the new drives.

Maybe it's shoelaces. :lol:


How do I adjust the clew tensioner? I stop my pedals before I make a full stroke so no noise there.
shoelaces? no but there has been regular interference from both sheet and reef line. I have to take a better look. The noise was worse today and wearing different shoes allowed me to get feedback through my feet and this time I could feel the ticks. But hell how can I complain about a brand new hull. :!:

_________________
2012 Mango Tandem Island


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tickity tick
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:40 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:12 pm
Posts: 38
tonystott wrote:
What new drop in Miragedrive wells???? I try to keep up, but have not seen any mention of this....


I got a new TI hull and there are issues with my existing mirage drive and the new hull.

_________________
2012 Mango Tandem Island


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tickity tick
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:28 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 12:44 pm
Posts: 8979
Location: Oceanside, California
No new Mirage well... I believe the reference was to Click and Go.

I also think a twisted chain link can cause a tick at the end of a stroke.

_________________
Matt Miller
Director of Parts and Accessory Sales
Hobie Cat USA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tickity tick
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:39 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 2699
Location: Kailua 96734
Referring to the new molded slots around the click and gos that act as alignment guides. Older boats don't have these. But yes, I meant that the C&G hardware may have minute alignment variations due to the new moulding design. It's the only major change to the mirage system that I'm aware of. Other than fin color. ;-)

Clew? It's the threaded thumbscrew on the top rear of the fin. It adjusts how much tension and rotation the fin has.

Did you mention where in the stroke you hear the tick? That's critical.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tickity tick
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:37 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:12 pm
Posts: 38
NOHUHU wrote:
Referring to the new molded slots around the click and gos that act as alignment guides. Older boats don't have these. But yes, I meant that the C&G hardware may have minute alignment variations due to the new moulding design. It's the only major change to the mirage system that I'm aware of. Other than fin color. ;-)

Clew? It's the threaded thumbscrew on the top rear of the fin. It adjusts how much tension and rotation the fin has.

Did you mention where in the stroke you hear the tick? That's critical.


The ticking is spread through the full pedal stroke.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

_________________
2012 Mango Tandem Island


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tickity tick
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:52 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:57 am
Posts: 154
Location: Fairfax, CA USA
Does it click on the stroke when not in the water?
If not, then there may be either a bent link or the chain is just a hair too tight. I have had both cases. Original drive had a jacked link, new drive was just a bit tight and so the chain ticked as it settled onto the teeth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tickity tick
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:17 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:12 pm
Posts: 38
coachstevo wrote:
Does it click on the stroke when not in the water?
If not, then there may be either a bent link or the chain is just a hair too tight. I have had both cases. Original drive had a jacked link, new drive was just a bit tight and so the chain ticked as it settled onto the teeth


I will get out tomorrow and see what I can find.

_________________
2012 Mango Tandem Island


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: RedRobin, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group