Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

After recently buying a new Hobie AI, I had to find a way to protect the rudder assembly when loading the kayak on the top deck of my trailer.
I was racking my brain to try and come up with something simple and easy to use. I took my inspiration from a triangle shaped trolley for a Raptor kayak.
Using bits and pieces I had laying around. ----- The triangle section from the top of an old stepper machine --- the V section from an old bike rack --- a rubber wheel from old boat trailer --- and a bit of bungee. This is the final result.
The rubber wheel at the bottom is fixed so the kayak doesn't slip backwards. The rudder and stern don't contact the ground at all when lifting the front of the kayak.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great work. :D
Looks like a bought one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That right there is brilliant!

Gonna try to do similar using an old pair of crutches, love this board

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hogman:
I think you have just invented a new type of kayak cart. If you install wheels that roll but are lockable (with a pin thru the hub) it can be dual purpose. I think it would be way easier to install than a scupper cart. Just slip it on the back of the boat at waters edge, pick the bow up and walk the kayak to the car. Then lock the wheels and lift the bow onto the roof rack.
The unit could be left on the kayak during transport ( you can't do that with any other scupper cart).
An optional plastic skid pad could be added to drag across soft sand.
Would be great on any of the lighter kayaks like the Revolutions ( or any other brand of small singles).
On bigger kayaks like the oasis or TI kayak ( without AMA's) a second unit could be slipped over the bow.
If the foam were removed in the center the unit and replaced with strap material the unit could be flipped over ( so the wheels point up) and stored upside down with the center strap trapped under the rudder gudgeon and tilting forward. Should still be enough room for the twist and stow rudder to operate.
Pretty cool
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Such a cart already exists and was, in fact, among the very first style of kayak cart dating from the mid to late 1990s. Because they support the yak from one end, it leaves a good amount of weight on the other end (the yakker) and so they're not as popular as they were early on.

Nice job on this one. It's tailor made for the purpose of keeping the stern off the pavement during loading. Nice job.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Darn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's one I made back in the 90's for my Trinity Bay Mallard:

A buddy made one for his Pungo. These were shorter yaks (10' to 11') and sit insides so you could stand the weight on the other end for short pulls. You just slipped them over one end of the kayak and lifted the other end. They just wedge in place and stay put fairly well. Note that these also broke down for transport inside the yaks. Later we went to scupper carts, gave up on them because they're all made upside down, and fashioned the self centering, reverse scupper carts we use today.

But, getting back to the original poster's effort, what he has is perfect for loading. I like the fact that the "wheels" are locked so the cart won't roll backwards as you're trying to load the boat. Very nice accessory. Nicely made, too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This is too cool! When I got my first Hobie Mirage years ago I tried to think of something on wheels to use for the exact same reason. I never could come up with anything except a low sort of "dolly." Your invention is ever so much better and smaller for transporting, too. Nice work!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great little invention there Hogman. It's an annoying problem and you've come up with a simple and effective solution. Great work.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A much better design than mine.
I have to remove the rudder pin although I need to do that to store in the garage.
Very innovative and well done.
Cheers, Brian

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

re: "self centering, reverse scupper carts"

I know this is an old post, but I'm guessing Tom Kirkman is still out there.
Any chance of sending a pic of the self centering, reverse scupper cart and how it's made?
Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Commercial carts like that do exist. Here is one from REI http://www.rei.com/product/738003/quantum-engineering-stern-wheels-cart

Another one on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Paddleboy-Original-Kayak-Cart/dp/B00E4U9JWM

My friend, Alex, uses this Amazon version on all his kayak camping trips, including the WaterTribe Everglades Challenge. He even pulls his loaded kayak through soft sand to get it to and from his camping site.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like you're idea because I could put it on the prow of my AI with a Caster Wheel in conjunction with the Scupper Trax and not have to hold all that weight up when hand-pulling on the paved path to the ramp.

Also for Trailer loading from the water, it doesn't have to lock for me as it would slip on the slimey ramp anyway, as long it stops the stern from graunching on the ramp I'm good with it.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's my take on protecting the stern when loading my AI onto the top deck of my trailer. I had all the bits and pieces lying around so it seemed like the thing to build. I hold it on the boat with a ratchet strap.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello fellow Hobie kayakers, I know the thread has been idle for a while, but...

For years I've been trying to find a solution trying to protect all my Hobies (Outback 2013, Outback 2014 and finally now... my brand new Hobie Outback 2015

Must have spent countless hours online doing research on possible, doable and above all effective solutions to protect both stern a bow keels on my Outbacks. Result... Never found anything truly worth while, either because after some research review show products not being really effective as they would offer little to no protection OR other products out there were too expensive and required some tweaking (forget about the fact you if you make a mistake or the solution don't actually work... that would be an expensive prototype)

Now that I came up with what I feel as being PERFECT solution (and cheap I should add) figured I should share...

PLEASE DONT TAKE ME WRONG... By no means I think this is better than anyone's else solution (a perfect solution i and will always be what works for you) but... I'm really happy with it and will protect my new Outback when loading/unloading the kayak to/from my truck roof rack and launching/arriving to the boat ramp (concrete)

You will notice the after making these two pieces the 32oz jar (approx. $30) is still over 3/4 full (this was also after making a couple nose/tail protectors for my longboard skateboard) - Pigment Pack (approx. $12)

Total cost for BOTH pieces: LESS $5

(Please note: MATTE scotch tape was used to prevent morphing plastic from adhering to shape roller, kayak and everything else...)

BTW you can make this in whatever color you'd like...