Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Best Righting System
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 10:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HI,

I am a newbie, and have been looking at the nurerous righting systems and tring to understand the complications. Cant you just throw a line over the upper hull??? If not, here are some questions??

1. Where are the lines attaching in the back, near the rudders?

2. Advantage, disadvantage in having hollow braided line with internal bungee, vs. a solid line held back by a bungee (hawiian type)?

3. Advantage, disadvantage in tying a line around all 4 pylons and adjusting slack as needed when capsized (sealed mast and bob attached)

Thanks

If anyone has diagrams please let me know, I am going solo in the gulf of mexico, only :?: 2nd time on the boat and dont want to die LOL

TJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi

You might want to try this link

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/dosearch.php

This was a search for righting systems at the "Catsailor" site

There are oodles of different systems and some of them are discussed on this search. This topic is a major source for discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:22 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Over the course of many years, I've had and tried virtually all the major righting systems, with the exception of the solo systems.

My experience comes from racing, where quick deployment and automatic retraction are highly desirable; sufficient weight is usually not a problem since you are meeting a 285 lb minimum for racing.

The two systems (snap-back and Hawaiian) you describe are both made for racing (quick deploy / auto retract). They both work equally well and have the added advantage of providing a "chicken line" for the crew on the trapeze (fall forward preventer).

The snap-back system can get a little "floppy" over time as the bungee stretches out which causes more drag. The Hawaiian system has more moving parts and has to be adjusted periodically to ensure complete retraction and full deployment.

Both these systems attach at the rear to the rudder pin; between the deck and below the upper "ear" of the rudder casting.

On my 16, I use a system similar to the snap-back - instead of the hollow braided line, it uses hollow webbing about 1" wide. I bought it as a kit at the '92 16 Nationals in Bear Lake, UT. Still going strong 12 years later!

The most recent 16 Worlds boats had a single hollow braided line. Most everybody tied each end to a front pylon, then fed the slack through the tramp lacing in the center. When capsized, you untie the end on the hull in the water, give a yank to free the slack, then toss the line over the upper hull. Works really well, but you still have to tuck it away manually when you're done.

I used a similar system on my 17 - just tied a line to the dolphin striker and tucked it away in a tramp pouch.

From what I can gather on the solo systems, the water bucket seems to be the way to go. They are widely available from the major catalogs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

One fellow told me that he simply puts a garbage bag (large thin plastic Glad type) in his pocket and when needed he just hauls it out fills it with water, throws it over his shoulder and voila a cheap easy solution.