Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Sailing Buddy ...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

... I'd like to introduce you all to MaeLee my new sailing buddy. I wanted to name her "Hobie" but Wife.Com wasn't having it.

I know a few have posted about sailing their AI/TI with a pet on board and invite you to use this thread to discuss this and safety issues associated with it. Of course a PFD is required for anyone aboard my boats but were there any other concerns ?

NoHu - I showed her the Haka's you've designed and we discussed making some just for her ... here's her response

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

Goodness! So CUTE! Congratulations.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Awe. Love it.

That dog is going to love your AI and will also love leaping into the water at any point. I use to take my labs out on my Adventure. one at a time. I had to hold on to their leash because they loved to leap. Now I take my two doxies out and have a simliar problem with one of them. They haven't been on the AI yet and when I do take them, they will have to be sitting right behind my in the tankwell and not on the hakas.

btw - One of my doxies is named "Hobie."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I guess she already knows who the real alpha dog in the family is. :lol:

So lessee, you gotta train the pup to tack/gybe and hike only to the windward side. That should be easy. A squeaky toy and lots of treats should do it.

Are you gong to keep the tramps on too? Remounting the Hakas every time she sees a baby duck may be a challenge for her. Tramps make for a better poop deck too.

I guess how to keep the pooch hydrated with clean drinking water could be a concern. I would think a floaty vest would help regulate her body temp, like it does ours.

(Hey- she winked at me! Good dawg!!)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Matt and Terry - I haven't had a puppy since I was 5 yrs old and had forgotten how precious they are (and how sharp thier teeth are !!)

My previous Choc. Lab passed in Feb @ 14 yrs old .. She was already too much a senior when i got into the AI's to take her out but being 2 miles from L.I. shore, she was always a water dog and I hope MaeLee is as well.

Of course, I wouldn't take her out on the windy days I prefer to sail on but more so just to be with us on calmer days.

I know Gringo from a few years ago used to take his dog out in Turks and Cacios .. anyone else sail with their pet ?

... Last night she played SuperHero and promply killed the Evil Ball from Planet Krypton saving the Earth from an untimely demise. Tonite she'll fix the ObamaCare website

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Congrats on your New Best Friend!!!!

I had 2 Black Labs, on a boat in the past..... I guess I would advise to give her time to mature before taking her out. I rushed it and brought them out when only 1-2 yrs old. I UNDERESTIMATED THEIR ATTENTION SPAN AND ENERGY LEVELS AT THAT AGE!! The Dog Whisperer advises to thoroughly exercise the dogs before training them, and getting her to sit for a long time on the tramp will be training, at this age. Plenty of treats and short jaunts, even at home with kayak on the grass with AKAs and tramps set up so the dog is familiar with the concept before out on the water. Maybe swim her out prior to launch so that the tramp is a nap on her bed??

Had my Lab jump off boat to bite a fish on the line next to the boat- Became a dog with a jig hook thru lip, scratching the side of the boat trying to get back in and I am stuck in the middle of the lake, by myself! I couldn't heave her in the boat, on my knees so I ended up paddling ashore holding onto dog and leash.
I added a platform after that incident!!! You might be surprised how hard it is getting a heavy dog back in the kayak, in the middle of a lake, with waves, kids etc.

Once older and trained, they were GREAT shipmates!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Gunnie in the best seat!

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That's cute, Larry. I will have to try my two doxies on the spine board hakas on my lake before I take them into the Gulf. At least they are small enough and the "handle" on the back of their lifejackets makes it very easy to grab them if they take a flying leap into the water.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Terry, if your doxies get in Everglades water or off Anna Mari Island, they could become shark bait. I suppose you will only take them out on your freshwater lake, but aren't there gators there?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The gators are more of a problem for dogs than sharks are!