Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help! Hole on upper deck
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was drying my new to me PA14 (2011 model) after washing it and noticed water inside the hull. While wiping down the cockpit area I found a quarter size hole next to the built in vertical rod holer piller where the first left hand storage area drains the water to the area under the seat. I dont know how it got there or what caused it. I released the tension from my hold down strap that was running thru the two side bars and down under the yak. This seamed to allow the side of the yak to bow out a little.

Any ideas on how this might have happened and how to fix it. If I dont get it fixed all water I take over the bow that runs down the left side will drain into the hull. I use my PA in Lake Erie and Michigan and do take a few over the bow.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You could try to plastic weld a piece of plastic to seal the hole. I can't think of any way to get a hole that big in your PA though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

some pictures would help!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pictures would be very helpful in getting help from the folks here. If the hole can be reached from the bottom side, you can get a small package of a product called Rec'Repair. This material comes in sheets and is ideal for plastic kayak repair. You heat it with a heat source (heat gun, etc.) until it reaches 194 degrees. That makes it bendable. Peel off the adhesive backing and apply. Can use Kayak within minutes if applied correctly.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Find your nearest hobie dealer and talk to them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had a similar problem, in the same place. Hobie took care of me!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mythman mine is in the same spot just a bigger hole not a crack. I used some lexan silicon for now but not comfortable with it. Tried to post pic but not sure how to here.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Lima Eyecatcher wrote:
Mythman mine is in the same spot just a bigger hole not a crack. I used some lexan silicon for now but not comfortable with it. Tried to post pic but not sure how to here.

If under warranty take it to your Hobie dealer of choice and have then get Hobie to make it right. If not under warranty, take it to a dealer who is good welding plastic ad have it repaired ( I just had three holes repaired today at my dealer).

One of the reasons is that area flexes when you sit in your PA. Make sure you got plenty of closed cell foam wedged up under that area, on both sides, to take the flex out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mythman I got the yak used so it is not under warranty. how much did it cost to have yours fixed and where can I get the proper foam for this?

Thanks for the info

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Lima Eyecatcher wrote:
Mythman I got the yak used so it is not under warranty. how much did it cost to have yours fixed and where can I get the proper foam for this?

Thanks for the info

Mine was under warranty & Hobie took care of it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

So they replaced the entire hull for you then since it was under warranty. Seems to me that it is a design defect if the flexing causes that area to crack on a PA.

Hobie takes care of drive wells that crack even when yaks are outside the standard warranty period in many cases and i think it's only fair to consider something like this in a similar fashion.

My $ 0.02