Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought the revo 13 in June but life is throwing a curve ball at me. I am trying to figure out what it is worth to sell. I have the cart, pfd and safety gear. What should I expect to get for it?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yaknewbie :
I see no one has responded to you post yet so I'll give it a shot.

It all depends on where you live, up north it's winter now and I'm guessing not many are looking to buy a new kayak right now. If you live in south Florida, then it's probably the peak time (the population doubles down here in the winter (snow birds, and vacationers wanting to get out of the snow).
Of course if your in Australia summer is just starting down there.
I have owned two revo 13's which I bought new and used for a couple years then sold (we have had 7 Hobies now).

Hobie's are the top brand out there and the highest quality kayak you can buy (you did well buying a Revo 13 (which is my all time favorite kayak). In my case.

I believe the Revo 13 is around $2000 new ( I'm assuming US pricing), I see no reason you couldn't list it on this forum in the want ads or your local craigslist for $1900 for the kayak alone, and a little more with the accessories (I typically sell the used expensive accessories at about 1/2-3/4 of the new price if they are purchased with the boat). Really no point in listing higher than the new list price.

Many people understand and recognize the value of the Hobie Kayaks (used Hobies are very rare), but can't afford a new boat. When buying a brand new boat all the accessories that you need to get to get started (scupper cart, PFD's, Anchor, trailer, etc typically adds quite a big chunk to the initial price, just so they can get out on the water. My thought is when selling used kayaks is I typically include everything they need to get onto the water without having to buy all the extras separately. ( a big incentive)
Most of the time I list for a little more then settle for a little less.
Take good quality pics of the boat (showing the accessories) this helps a lot. And of course be careful on Craigslist, only accept cash, and make sure you both sign the receipt (2 copies) showing it as an 'as is sale'. I usually provide a copy of the original bill of sale (with the HID number) showing that sales tax was paid otherwise if they ever try to register it, they have to pay sales tax again.
The two year warranty on Hobies is significant, and make sure the buyer understands it is transferrable (sort of, everything is controlled by the HID number on the hull, and the dealers records)), and instruct them to go to the dealer who you purchased the boat from initially if they have problems (the original dealer is the best place to go, since they sold the boat initially, and are the dealer of record for that boat).
Good luck, and we are all hoping to see you back on a Hobie, and back on the forum soon.
Bob

Your local Craigslist is probably your best bet. You can always run a week or two then drop the price a little if your in a rush to sell.
I haven't had much luck selling on the Hobie classifieds on this forum, The Hobie forum is international, and most people prefer to purchase local, but it doesn't hurt to list it on there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If the kayak is in excellent condition and you sell it as a package, I would guess $1750 to $1850 is a safe range.
That would be a good buy and the owner still has the bulk of the two year warranty in force.
A 2 year old Revo 13 in excellent condition, used less than 30 times, recently sold in my area for $1400 and it did not include a cart or PFD.
I would also ask your Hobie dealer for advise too......he might know of someone looking for a slightly used Revo.....check Craigs list, use the Hobie "for sale" spot too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When it comes to accessories, kayaks are like automobiles. If it is not a major accessory (i.e. trolling motor) you can forget about the investment you have in these items when determining the selling price of you kayak. While they may enhance the sellability of you kayak, you will not get your money back on items such as rod holders, paddle holders, etc.

While the model year would drive some of the pricing, the condition of the kayak is very important in establishing a value. Oyster rash, sun fading, stains will drive down the value also.

One of the great things about a Hobie Mirage Drive kayak is that they hold their value. Hobie kayaks are the top quality kayak in the market place and people tend to hang on to them. There just aren't that many used Hobies out there that are for sale. To prove this, just go to various websites and check on how many Hobies there are for sale. Not many I bet.

Don't be afraid to ask more than what you may think you can sell it for. Like I said earler, this is a sellers market on used Hobies.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Personally I wouldn't get too carried away with price. Your main competition being new fully updated, full warranty kayaks. You have to account for this fact, why would a person buy your used kayak when readily available new kayaks are to be had year round.
Thus there is an unlimited supply of competition and you have to make the price/accessories your incentive for someone to buy used over new.
8)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies. I am in the proper range for selling then.