Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: big guy outback?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok i had to sell the pa14.im getting ready to look for a new yak pa is a awsome fishing platform but it is heavy getting it to the launch. Thinking on a outback that being said im a big dude 6-2 300 lbs. Going to Be fishing saltwater inshore.any other big guys have any comments on the outback rigged with bait tank rods and g
ear .

Post subject: Re: big guy outback?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

charlietuna......just between you and me, I do not believe you will be comfortable in a Outback....especially, trying to reach around to use the bait tank.
As the Outback is 5" narrower, it restricts better movement for larger owners....the Outback has a good weight capacity, but much short of the PA-14's, 600 pound capacity.
Suggest demo-ing the Outback before making the leap :o

I owned a 2010 Outback for almost 3 years before buying my 2013 PA-14...and I am really glad I made the change.
IMO, the PA-14, with the vantage seat is the best solution for big guys....and me too at 6', 185#'s.

I carry my PA-14 on a Hobie Trailex trailer....launch and recovery is very easy.
You could also consider buying the Hobie kayak dolly......http://www.kayakshed.com/hobie-kayak-ge ... ayak-dolly for the PA-14.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It may be the bait tank that is adding weight. 5 gallon bait tank full of water adds 40 lbs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My buddy uses my spare Outback all the time (I now have an AI). Hes 6'3, 260 and has no problems at all. High and dry. (although no live well in the back to compare). That extra weight in the back may cause water to stay in the rear/etc... not sure.

I fitted the new Jackson Coosa elite seat on it for him. Very comfortable!! I'm right at 200 and have no issues.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My input is probably to late for the poster but I'll give my opinion for future searches.

I'm around 350lb and I am in the Outback with Jackson seat mod. It is plenty stable, though It sits pretty low in the water. I also had the PA14 and choose to switch to the outback. I could not be happier. unless you MUST stand up I see no reason to get a PA.

Hobie get it together and give us the Outback 14 with vantage seating.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

jslager wrote:
My input is probably to late for the poster but I'll give my opinion for future searches.

I'm around 350lb and I am in the Outback with Jackson seat mod. It is plenty stable, though It sits pretty low in the water. I also had the PA14 and choose to switch to the outback. I could not be happier. unless you MUST stand up I see no reason to get a PA.

Hobie get it together and give us the Outback 14 with vantage seating.

I second this! :idea:

Also I did buy the browning turkey hunting chair to fit the outback, have yet to try it out, may have stumbled across your post for that idea. I'm a not a big guy, shy of 180, but just looking to improve reality space in front of me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Dr. Steelhead most likely answered a question I was going to post.The bait tank being behind you.I have an Outback and a PA 14 for my wife.Trying to get bait in the outback is anything but easy unless your made out Gumby material.The PA allows a little more room for a small bucket in front of you.I also own a Malibu(sorry guys) that comes with a built in live well right in front of you.Rather nice feature.was just curious how everyone else deals with the bait issue?

Post subject: Re: Buy an Oasis
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You should be able rig a live bait holder in the front in place of the front/seat passenger.

The weight of the water in the live bait holder will help balance the Oasis. You should be able to reach your live bait holder in the front seat area, much easier/safer than trying to reach around your back in an Outback.

Add the AMAs, and you would have a sturdy fishing platform.

The C Tug cart is easier to load the Oasis on and off as you don't have to turn the heavy yak on its side to put the cart into the scuppers. You just lift up the front or back and put the Oasis on the C Tug Cart and strap it on the cart. There are some excellent posts on using the Sea Tug with minor modifications to the belt.

search.php?keywords=CTug&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

You can buy an earlier model of the Oasis since you won't need the steering from the front option.
The early models don't have rod holders, but you can put a gear box on the back with attached rod holders.

For a lad your size, you probably might want to upgrade the rudder to a bigger sailing rudder and make the Mirage fins bigger with the attachments.

If you buy a good older model, you should have enough money to buy the above options versus buying a new model.

charlietuna wrote:
Ok i had to sell the pa14.im getting ready to look for a new yak pa is a awsome fishing platform but it is heavy getting it to the launch. Thinking on a outback that being said im a big dude 6-2 300 lbs. Going to Be fishing saltwater inshore.any other big guys have any comments on the outback rigged with bait tank rods and g
ear .