Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

While sailing the well nuts holding my sidekick in place pulled out. I have been looking for a better way to attach them. Tried using stainless nuts and bolts but just cannot quite reach back there on my adventure. Saw somewhere about using jack nuts but can't find them in auto parts stores or on line, can anyone lead them to me or have any other suggestions? Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Scotty #132 expanding rivets should work http://scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipmen ... Rivets.htm
These "butterfly or open up" similar to a molly bolt, only better, to greatly increase the holding area inside the kayak.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Take a look at the YakAttack site...

I used a FullBack with a Rigging Bullet.... The rigging bullet is incredible... It saved hours of frustration. Watch their video on the subject.

I also purchased their plastic geartracs (GTSL90) and their bracket for attaching Hobbie sidekicks (#TBK-001) ...
For some reason these are still not shown on their site... You will need to contact them to order these but it is well worth the effort!

See this post as well...
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=45264

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into both. At first I thought I would go with the rivets, don't think I need to adjust the location of the sidekicks. However since I end up manhandling my adventure alone to get it on top of the Forester, if the full backs made the sidekick mount strong enough that I could grab it for lifting purposes, that would be cool.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My experience so far is that the geartrac with the fullback is extremely strong. I have lifted the back of my Rev 13 using the cross bar of the sidekicks… However I was just really testing it… In practice I don’t like to push my luck so I usually avoid lifting it this way… I think this is a really great solution but I have never used it to help load the kayak so I just wanted to let you know that. My thought is that the geartrac with a fullback is extremely strong and you could possibly use it to help you load but I really do not know for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

since you have the holes already for the well nuts ...have you tried 1-1/2" long well nuts. You can get them at hardware stores or online. The ones that come with the sidekick were notorious for pulling out ... many many forum threads about them. They are just two short. I used 1-1/2" ones on my 2008 revolution (same problem could not reach them to get through bolts) for 4 years and they never pulled out even using the crossbar to rooftop my revolution occasionally. I have a handle I mounted behind my seat for lifting but accidentally grabbed the sidekick tube. It never gave way under sail or under lifting weight of kayak. You may want to give them a try.

I have a replacement hull and will use them again. I like the sidekick bar just behind the seat. Otherwise it blocks my well for my fishing Crate Mate.

http://monsterfastener.com/itemview.asp ... 7Aodh2oAIQ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Revo_1756 wrote:
since you have the holes already for the well nuts ...have you tried 1-1/2" long well nuts. You can get them at hardware stores or online. The ones that come with the sidekick were notorious for pulling out ... many many forum threads about them. They are just two short. I used 1-1/2" ones on my 2008 revolution (same problem could not reach them to get through bolts) for 4 years and they never pulled out even using the crossbar to rooftop my revolution occasionally. I have a handle I mounted behind my seat for lifting but accidentally grabbed the sidekick tube. It never gave way under sail or under lifting weight of kayak. You may want to give them a try.

I have a replacement hull and will use them again. I like the sidekick bar just behind the seat. Otherwise it blocks my well for my fishing Crate Mate.

http://monsterfastener.com/itemview.asp ... 7Aodh2oAIQ

I just ordered the 1 1/2" well nuts after trying like heck to reach with a nut through the seat hatch. Thank you for the tip. Know it has been a while, being able to kayak/sail to work has enabled me to get back into it again.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Revo_1756: Did you mount the handle behind the seat with well nuts? I can't reach that area from the inside on my Revo 13 to through-bolt it...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

(censored) wrote:
Revo_1756: Did you mount the handle behind the seat with well nuts? I can't reach that area from the inside on my Revo 13 to through-bolt it...

That is a barely fingertips area but bet you've got a friend that can. My wife doesn't have terribly long arms but she's agile and seems like she gets half her shoulder into the hatches to help reach those areas. She's the go-to person for me and can reach almost everywhere from the rear hatch clear to the front hatch on my 13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

FYI, Hobie does make a kit to adapt the Sidekick bar clamps to the existing inserts that are there for the Adventure Island kit upgrade. The kit consists of two aluminum bars with predrilled & threaded holes & 8 screws. I've installed the kit on my Adventure & it's very strong. I can lift the kayak with the bar & don't have to worry about wellnuts pulling out. Not sure if all Adventures came with the AI threaded inserts but thought I'd post in case you have them.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Salty. wrote:
FYI, Hobie does make a kit to adapt the Sidekick bar clamps to the existing inserts that are there for the Adventure Island kit upgrade. The kit consists of two aluminum bars with predrilled & threaded holes & 8 screws. I've installed the kit on my Adventure & it's very strong. I can lift the kayak with the bar & don't have to worry about wellnuts pulling out. Not sure if all Adventures came with the AI threaded inserts but thought I'd post in case you have them.

Good to know. My adventure is one of the first to come out so I doubt is has those existing inserts. Kind of weird I only noticed now after owning it for years that there are some holes "filled" right by where I installed the sidekicks. I bought it new the repairs blend in perfectly with the existing plastic.