Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cam column reinforcement
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have read much on this forum regarding column reinforcement....seems using split PVC pipe and 3M 8010NS is the popular approach. However, this would be pretty expensive for my two (07 and 08 Revos).
Has anyone had success with just wrapping columns with epoxy resin impregnated fiberglass cloth ?
Seems you could feel in there and wrap wet strips around the column, then add even more resin after that set up.
I believe Hobie offered a retrofit kit for Outback that used fiberglass....so I assume it will adhere.
Thanks in advance for sharing any experience or advise.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:46 am 
Site Admin

Roadrunner wrote:
The cam column is repairable and you can probably stabilize the other crack as well. In this high stress area I've found only two epoxies that work -- 3M ScotchWeld DP 8010 (and its variant 8010 NS) and Loctite 3030. I've tried the G-Flex and it doesn't take much to pop it loose. Here are my results with Hobie's Polyethylene:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12550

I like Bob's suggestion of making a repair sandwich of PVC halves, filled with epoxy to quickly and neatly apply the mix, as time is of the essence! -- haven't tried it though persoanlly. All your repairs will be inside the hull where you may not be able to see and work at the same time, so good planning cannot be over emphasized and working with sequential small batches prevents premature set-up. Don't skimp on the material -- it has to absorb the structural stress load where the PE failed. It's also a good idea to so both sides -- if one side is cracked, the other is probably not far behind.

Take a look at these notes from past repairs and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions:
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=33359&p=134475&hilit=#p134475
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=33359&p=134482&hilit=#p134482
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11245&p=59882&hilit=d#p59882
8)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Matt,
Thanks for the reply, although I had found that very helpful thread previously.
My columns are intact.....but I am going to install Turbofin V1 kits and would like the columns to stay that way!
What I was wondering is if you could successfully reinforce the columns prior to any cracking with an approach using fiberglass and epoxy resin. Plan would be to wrap strips of resin/mat by feel around the columns and bases. Once set up, wouldn't this provide some additional strength in the area?
It seems that if Hobie used fiberglass in its retro kit, it must adhere reasonably well. Would be a cheaper fix than the 3M 8010....considering I have two Revos to deal with. Admittedly, if I had cracks to deal with, I would go with the 3M.....high cost or not.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:49 pm 
Site Admin

Makes sense. I'd rough up the posts and the top underside deck and hull bottom surfaces and extend the glass onto the flats. Has to absorb some load and spread it to the flats.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)