Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Largest outboard for TI?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What is the largest outboard anyone has tried or heard of for the TI? I am interested in putting one on mine for those long days after fishing when I am too tired too paddle/pedal 10 or more miles back home and there is no wind blowing. I have seen the videos of 2.3 to 2.5 outboards on the AI but was wondering if anyone has tried a 3.5 up to 6hp on a TI.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jeffreydc:
I've had gas motors on my TI's for about 3 1/2 yrs now. I'm kind of a destination sailer, and we mostly use the boat for Island hopping, scuba diving, and basically our TI replaced our Sea Ray powerboat so pretty much everything we did with the sea ray we do the same with the TI. We have several powerboating friends that we typically meet out at some remote sand bar and just hang out once in a while (like tailgating), pretty much all the standard stuff. Our TI is our SUV and we often have 3-4 people on board (I've had as many as 6). When we have a large group or a lot of scuba equipment (6 or 8 tanks), we typically deploy our dingy which is a 4 person inflatable ( 650 lbs additional capacity that I store in the front hatch when not being used) and tow it behind the TI. Many times we also tow groups of kayaks when we have too many people. In the keys most of the coral reefs are 5-10 miles from launch, a typical day for us can be as far as 50 miles travel as we go from one place to another (obviously not 50 miles out into nothingness, that would be nuts).
I bought the first outboard because the first night out on our new TI back in spring 2010 my wife and I got caught in an outgoing tide (about 6mph) in one of the big passes into Sarasota bay trying to come in from offshore in late afternoon when the wind died completely (pretty stupid and dangerous thing to do, but we were 'who knew' LOL). Needless to say it took us about 2 hrs of really hard pedaling to get back in so I got a free ticket to buy a motor from wife.
(if your married and your wife is giving you issues about spending the money, just check the tides first and take her out in the late afternoon when you know the wind will quit, 'it works' LOL ). I'm just sayin I deny any knowledge of this.
If you go to the topic Ultimate Tandem Island ( viewtopic.php?f=69&t=33720&start=135 ) in the later pages you can see some of my escapades starting to use the motor for more than an emergency safety backup.
In south West Florida the typical winds are just not there 10 months out of the year (typically 4-6 mph (if that much)) and in the hot sun it's like sitting in a frying pan out on the water unless your moving at least 6-9 mph. In the low typical winds around here with a stock TI (with just a mainsail) you can pretty much expect to go 3-4 mph while pedaling, and literally fry out there in the sun.
If I were you I would look into the tri-power capabilities of your TI ( wind, pedal, and auxiliary power (hybrid gas or solar/electric). Here is a GPS track from a typical day for me in around 5mph winds using the tri-power capabilities of my TI.

Wind direction simply doesn't matter since you are creating your own apparent wind to propel the boat. Actually the best performance is almost directly up wind because the wind coming at you increases the apparent wind going over your sails. And obviously downwind is the worst since i'm sailing faster than the wind I run over my huge spinnaker (135 sq ft) so it becomes useless unless the winds are faster than 15 mph or so, then it's like driving a rocket downwind.

Any more I only powersail, I can literally go out for the day and maintain speeds 6.5 to 10mph all day and it only costs me a buck or two in fuel. I always carry enough fuel on board (2.3 gallons) to go between 150 and 250 miles if needed (economy is dependent on how much wind of course).

Yea you could probably mount a Honda 5hp motor on your TI, but keep in mind the TI has a displacement hull and peaks out at around 10mph, and the horsepower requirement goes up exponentially. If you go to this web site you can calculate your boatspeed from the prop ( http://propellerhub.com/boat-speed-calculator.html) (the Honda 5hp has a 7" pitch prop and tops out around 5500 rpm). However because the TI has a displacement hull (can't plane) you will never see the 15 mph on a TI, it would require more than 50 hp to push the TI over 15 mph according to my calculations.
If you plug 500 lbs, 5hp, and hull factor 100 into this calculator it comes out to about 10mph ( http://continuouswave.com/cgi-bin/crouchcalc.pl ), about what you can expect as your top speed with a Honda 5hp motor with propeller drive only (not using sails or pedals at all). I'm a former powerboat racer myself, and have designed and built several boats over the years. We still have friends that we hang out with who race in the superboat races in both Sarasota, and Key West annual superboat races (we have houses in both Sarasota and Key West).
If you don't believe me about hull speed and horsepower requirements you can go to this web site and calculate it all your self ( http://www.psychosnail.com/boatspeedcalculator.aspx). The math is just not there (that's why jetski's have 120 hp). Of course there is some planing going on even with a TI at higher speed especially if you can get the bow out of the water. I've had my TI up to 18-20 mph of a few occasions (in strong 22mph plus downwind runs (with all 265 sq ft of sail up), but have also had the rudder snap off and AMA's break at those speeds so it's not safe, and hitting a large wake at that speed would destroy the boat (the front hull would fold in the area around the front hatch without proper re-enforcement), and any side gust that would bury your AMA would instead snap them off (I'm talking about the bars themselves, not the little nylon pin).

I Highly recommend the 27 lb Honda 2.3 hp outboard, it is extremely well built, reliable, and lightweight and will give you years of trouble free service. If you use it in conjunction with your sails (tri-power sailing) you can go out all day for just pennies in fuel regardless of the wind direction and speed.
Good luck
Bob

EDIT:
A word of caution if you have the motor in the water and running (with clutch engaged) at higher speeds (over 12 mph) there is a great risk of over revving the engine and it will explode, so if going fast you must raise the motor. FYI

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a Mercury Marine Verado Four-cylinder 200 mounted on my TI. It has a dry weight of 510 pounds. I admit that the boat is a bit unbalanced, and I've only been able to get it up to about 35mph. But it's been an exciting project.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow! Are we talking "powerboat lust?"

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nah... It just seems natural to me. I admit, getting the mounting right was difficult, and the 510lbs hanging off the stern lifts the bow about 2 feet outta the water. But it kinda changes the hull from displacement to semi-planing.

I've had a few super close calls at top speed (35mph), and I lost the tip of my little finger when I capsized at speed due to "torque" ster. But all in all I think it's been a huge improvement to the existing stock TI. I'm hoping that Hobie will consider it as a dealt option.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Oh, one of the most difficult mods I had to make, was to use the amas as gas tanks. I had to blowin a liner and then route fuel line all the way to the stern. (They only leak a little bit, but the lake I live on isn't that clean anyway).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kieth:
Using probably too many words, I was trying to show jeffreydc a way to figure out for himself that adding a big motor to a TI is a big waste of time and money, and if he is unhappy with his performance and wants to add a safety factor (emergency motor) like I did, and/or get better performance in light winds there are ways to make it all work to your advantage. That's all

leelanauX: if you run nitro fuel in your engine be careful the fuel may melt your AMA's, plus make sure you run your tuned exhaust way behind the boat because the nitro fumes burn your eyes really bad. Try adding foils, with a 20" pitch prop I see no reason you can't get 100mph plus out of your TI. You will need one foil on each AMA, then one in back (like a three point hydroplane). I can calculate the foil design and size requirements if you need me to. Hey if you pump that Verado up to 1000hp I'm not sure the lower unit is up to the task. Also when taking off I would have to climb way out on the bow to keep from standing the boat upright when accelerating from a dead stop, you will likely need to do the same. ( Hope this helps you, send us video)

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You need some theme music for such a large motor on a TI. How about "Macho Man" from YMCA. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CR Yacker:
Big boats with loud engines, and Porsches ( I've had several) have a lot in common, maybe compensation for something else LOL.
Only real men have lock stock TI's and Prius's
I'm old now so I have to settle for a souped up TI and my Pontiac Solstice.
Here's my setup

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks good Bob, you sold me on a smaller outboard for the TI/AI. Just don't get anything much bigger. Like you said, your return on your motor in regards to the TI is slim as you get bigger. Might as well skip the TI and get a regular boat if their going to go that route.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all the good info Fusion. Sounds like you have a backup motor for same reasons I want one. I cant imagine getting stuck out in the gulf 12 or more miles offshore knowing I would have to paddle back in after fishing and diving all day without a serious backup plan. Here in Louisiana the winds can be pretty weak and unpredictable. I have looked at that Honda 2.3 as well as the Suzuki 2.5 and even the Mercury 3.5. Just haven't made up my mind yet but after reading your reply im sure its pointless to go with anything over the 3.5hp.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

@Fusioneng--Bob, my remark was not aimed at you. I understand your desire for a motor on your boat--a reasonable sized motor.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi I know this is an old post but I'm just wondering if anybody could help me cut through the fog on how fast my tandem Island will go with the 2.3 Honda 2.5 Suzuki or 6 hp Yamaha.

I go about 5 now with my motor guide 55 lb trolling motor and I'd like to hit eight or nine.

I just tried a five horsepower Haswing electric and only hit 6.4.

Wondering if that's more of a reasonable top speed for the displacement hall of the TI.

Thanks, James

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are several ways to get more speed out of a TI. If you understand how a 3point hydroplane works, ( I used to be a hydroplane racer), then you can by several means accomplish what you want to do.

First off you have to get the displacement hull out of the water, ( for that length max speed is around 8 mph with the hull flat in the water, ( like a ship). When exceeding around 8mph the power to go faster increases exponentially.

Another big factor is propellor pitch, and rpm, physics dictates the max speed, pretty much all trolling motors and small outboards are designed to provide max speed at around 6-7 mph, ( like a threaded nut running up a threaded shaft). You turn at a certain rpm, it will linearly move at a certain speed, ( there are prop pitch charts and calculators all over the net to calculate such things).
We used many different methods to get higher speeds out of our TI’s.

Method 1: add giant sails to the boat. We had a 135 sq ft spinnaker, that was mounted on a bowsprit, that changed the angle of the sail so 1/3 of the energy was converted to lift. So if sailing in a strong downwind the bow lifts out of the water at least a foot, ( the sails on TI’s are mounted too far forward on the hull, and there is not enough floatation on the hull, so the bow dives, ( we have had several dangerous pitchpole events, so you need to be careful).
Because the back of the boat being pointed, at higher speeds, over 9-10mph the entire rear of the boat goes completely underwater, for several reasons, at 9mph the rear mirage drive openings, and the scupper holes become drinking fountains, ( water shooting in), filling the rear passenger area waist deep in water, ( wife didn’t like that,lol). Plus any waves, the engines go under water, and quit, when starved for air.
To remedy those problems we added a removable fiberglass/ foam hull mod to the back of the boat to convert the hull to a planing type hull, which also added 200lbs of additional flotation to the boat. We then plugged the rear scupper holes, and the rear mirage pocked with a contoured drive well plug. The scupper holes we added angled tubes at the bottom, so they created suction to drain at high speeds.
Once these mods were made, using the lift of the spinnaker, and the planing rear mod, we could go downwind easily at 1 to 1 windspeed easily. But only downwind, so in 22mph downwind runs we could easily go over 20mph, with the bow 2ft in the air, and the rear planing, we could overcome the normal 3-4 ft waves associated with high winds. But you have to realize the boat was not designed for those conditions, everything has to be massively re-enforced to withstand the extreme forces. Very easy to rip the AMA’s off.
When we added hydrofoils to the front, ( near the drivers seat) to lift the bow, ( following the 3 point hydroplane principles).
We were able to sail at different points of sail, ( not just downwind with the spinnaker). The problem there is to actually get up on the foils, the power required is huge to get thru the transition. Even with our 30sq ft wing jib, and mainsail, in optimum conditions, ( on out boat optimum was with the wind around 20degrees off the bow upwind). So with our twin hybrid honda’s with special high pitch props, providing around 8mph momentum, plus 10-12mph natural wind, we had 18-20mph wind blowing. On our face, and across the sails. With the wing sail providing around 1/3 of it’s energy providing lift to the bow, to get the nose out of the water. Then the back half of the boat working as a planing hull, ( like a powerboat planes). Once you get on plane the horpower needed by the outboards goes down to around 1 hp from each outboard, so you can cruise at 10 -12 mph all day, getting around 60-80mpg from the motors, ( about a buck a day fuel cost), most of our outings were 2-3 hours, covering between 15 and 20 miles.
Daily range was areound 100 miles, ( keep in mind the florida keay are huge, and we were mostly offshore, ( as offshore scuba diving was our main pastime). If it takes 4-5 hours to get 10 miles out to a dive site, it’s not worth going. And if the winds are over 7mph, the underwater visability goes to crap, and nobody wants to be out in 4 ft waves. So our criteria was if it takes longer than an hout to get to a dive site, it’s not worth going. Also in the keys we get instant storms almost daily, ( always un-forecasted). So for safety we have to be able to get back to safe harbor in under 30 minutes, ( hard and fast rule).

A long time ago we played with the hydrofoils, and me being a motorhead, I souped up the Honda’s with nitrox injection, and super high pitch props, ( 10” pitch props). To be able to get thru the transition, and get up on the foils. Once up on the foils, the sails in decent winds can maintain, ( similar to how a trifoiler works), but with just the tip of the back end planing on the water at speed. All that was more dargerous than can be imagined, and I had many dangerous spectacular crashes and pitchpoles, before abandoning the hydrofoil concept alltogether back in around 2012. And went to the hybrid outboards, wing sails, and widened hull,( 12ft wide), planing hull, etc, that I ran until 2018 when I had to throw in the towel for health reasons. Bottom line, doing foils is a total waste of time, and really dangerous, don’t bother, unless your trying to impress all you Trifoiler friends, ( lol). Lot’s of Trifoilers down here.

I had the time of my life, and great fun and reward for my efforts, and was out every single weekend having fun.
The deal with my wife to buy the TI, back in 2010, is I promised to pedal the boat 15 miles a week as my exercise program after having a heart attack in feb 2010. We bought the boat in April 2010. First week it took 10 hrs of pedaling to get my promised 15 miles in, ( I think I was over sold on the boat capability, just a little).

Me being a retired design engineer with absolutely nothing else to do, I re-designed pretty much everything on the boat. By mid 2010 I was able to get my required 15 weekly peddling miles, ( I always peddled 90% of the time), done in around 3 hrs.
By 2013 I could easily get my required 15 miles in and alway measured on a gps, and shown to wife when I got home. I was able to get my required weekly 15 mile recorded and logged in around an hour and a half to two hours. That continued until I had to give it up in 2018, ( result of a long ago broken back injury from a martial arts tournament, which handling the boat, made worse), until under doctors orders I had to give it all up.
Bottom line…. Don’t bother trying to get much more out of the boat than it was designed for, just not worth the effort, and can be dangerous.

Just use the boat as designed, like 99% of all the other users who enjoy their boats just as they came form the factory, with a couple tweaks here and there, ( like a small suzuki 2.5 outboard), more for safety than anything else.
FE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Epic modifications on that TI FE.

Wish I could have seen it!

Completely happy with 6 to 7 mph on my stock TI with the 2.5 HP Suzuki outboard.

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold