Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone ever taken a pro angler around Espiritu Santos Island in the sea of Cortez? I am planning a trip next year and am starting research now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have no knowledge of anybody doing that trip in a PA but there is a video on youtube about a group that did it in sea kayaks. Maybe that would be helpful to you in your preparations. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-txLc8oDXjY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That certainly would be a fun trip - I've done lots of Baja Kayaking trips of between 3-7 days, but none with the PA yet (all in my touring kayak). Some thought would have to be put into figuring out the best way to pack the PA for an extended trip in a balanced way - remember you have to carry enough fresh water with you too, usually 5-10 gallons right behind the seat (depending on length of trip). I'm sure some of these guided trips probably send a panga out with water and gear to prearranged camp sites.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well after a minor setback of a year with a broken hip, my trip is back on for November 2014. The trip will be a 10 day circumnavigation of Espiritu de Santo just off the coast from La Paz in Baja Mexico in the sea of Cortez. I am trailering my 2013 pro angler 14 down to La Paz. Marlin adventures will be shuttling the kayak and equipment to Espiritu de Santo, and will be my resupply vessel at 3 day intervals. The kayak is rigged for 4 rods and 3 Gopros to record the trip. All in, I managed to keep the weight down to 140 lbs of gear. I will be posting updates regularly as I prep for the trip as well as creating a Facebook page and YouTube videos of the trip down and daily kayaking/fishing/snorkeling. Additionally I will be using a DeLorme inReach to provide real time GPS tracking.

There are lots of kayak companies doing tours out there but none has documented a trip like this as far as my research has turned up. I will soon be posting a list and video of my equipment and where it gets packed. Any advice will be welcomed. I will be doing several multi day trips throughout the year to work out the bugs, and I will be posting videos and reports of those as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Please do keep us posted as you prepare and complete this adventure. Many of us out here will be very interested in how you go about a trip of this duration.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am going to try to rig the boat with 3 GoPro cameras one on a stick for selfies or underwater shots. Any advice on where to rig the other two for best coverage? Any advice on packing 3 days worth of camping gear, food and water would also be appreciated. In the spring I will start to post pictures and videos of the prep work and rigging. I made a larger rudder as I am not sure that the new Hobie rudders will be out before I go.
I appreciate all replies and advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:51 pm 
Site Admin

Take a sail too! November is not typically a windy month (good thing for what and where you are planning this), but you could get some breezy days. I went with Hobie to do a photo shoot on the island years ago. We had a large motor boat as base camp for several days of sailing and windsurfing shots. Beautiful spot for sure. I also used to run a Windsurf destination spot on Punta Arena de La Ventana. Hotel Los Arenas. We primarily sailed in La Ventana (just downwind of where you are going). The hotel was a fishing destination, but added windsurfing for the winter season because... IT gets WINDY! We would get there for our season in mid to late November and stay till late March. November was warm / hot with beautiful clear water. You will get some windy days during a trip of that length. Maybe 2 or 3 days in a week with mid teens to low 20 MPH. By December it cools and you start getting more windy days. Great fishing down there!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Can't wait to see the footage. Sell your PA and buy an Adventure Island!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt, I kitesurf every year in la Ventana for 4 months. I've fish the bay every year in an outback. This year I am taking my pro angler (with a sail and evolve) and am hoping to post pics of dorado, sailfish, yellowfin tuna as well as many other species.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Gemitaur wrote:
Has anyone ever taken a pro angler around Espiritu Santos Island in the sea of Cortez? I am planning a trip next year and am starting research now.

That looks like a blast

Military Police, USAR SFC

Broward County Florida

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I found this video from a company that does 7 day trips on the NW side of the island
http://vimeo.com/84284691