Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Kayak Trailer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since it was suggested that I post the trailer project separately, here are the completed pictures. I sold the Revo 13 and that helped the cause for getting a trailer. I was at the point where I needed to get a trailer since you can't haul 2 PAs in the back of a truck (except the guy that stacked them one over the other... :D ). I had been keeping my eye out on all the classifieds for s good used trailer. There weren't any that I liked or the ones listed in my area needed some TLC or were just not for me.

I started shopping around to see if I could find a "new" trailer. I looked at the Malone and Trailex trailers when I first purchased my 2012 PA. They seemed small to me. I found the Aluma PWC2 and that was the perfect trailer for me. It's made in Iowa (USA), has a 5-year warranty and only weighs about 418 lbs. So it's easy to maneuver.

Here are some shots of the trailer with both PAs loaded. I still need to wash the trailer as it's pretty dirty from sitting on a gravel trailer lot for months. I spent about the same amount as I would have on a Malone trailer and feel this one was the better pick. Since I have a 3-car garage, space was not the issue. Will be registering it this week so I can get a tag on it. :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

Post subject: Re: New Kayak Trailer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What size PVC are you using? I've got 4" sewer pipe on mine, not sure if I like it though. Thinking about using 3".

2009 Revo
2012 Outback
2010 Tarpon 100

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

nvydvrdude wrote:
What size PVC are you using? I've got 4" sewer pipe on mine, not sure if I like it though. Thinking about using 3".

Using 3 inch. I just took disassembled the 2 storage racks and used the 3 inch PVC I was storing the PAs on. No need to buy new PVC that way. :D I might eventually swap it out for black PVC or put some carpet on them.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Did the trailer come with te mount to lay yak on? Or was this something you had to have fabricated? Looks good. What did this trailer cost???

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

usmcman001 wrote:
Did the trailer come with te mount to lay yak on? Or was this something you had to have fabricated? Looks good. What did this trailer cost???

I liked the trailer because it's one of the few where you can adjust the height and forward/rear position of the bow stops/winches. The V-shaped bases where the rails attached to are adjustable up and down and the plates that normally attach to the rails are adjustable as well. Aluma sent me some prototype pictures where frame sections that hold the V-mounts for the rails were like the winch pieces where they were on a track. That would give you limitless flexibility for adjusting side-to-side adjustments. Here's a picture of the prototype. I'll assume it will go into production in the near future.

The trailer cost me $1379, plus the gas to go get it, food and a can of Rustoleum Sealant (like that Flex-Seal product). I cut some scrap wood I had to mount to the 2-bolt plates on each "V" section. I sprayed the wood with that Rustoleum product to waterproof the wood. I used 3/8 stainless steel bolts to attach everything (already had those).

You can find the trailer online available at dealers that sell Aluma trailers for around $1700 for an average price. Aluma also makes a single trailer that runs around $800. I called the dealer that I bought mine from about 3 weeks ago and put money down on it to lock it up until I drove the 10-hour round trip to Chattanooga, TN Friday to get it...lol.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Steve, did they provide you with a Wide Load sign to use when pulling the trailer with the two PA's loaded :mrgreen:

That's a nice trailer for sure. Like how you can change the bunker guides to adjust for different sizes. When I first got my trailer, I simply used the bunkers than came on the trailer. Had them set just like the PVC pipe I now have. Still wonder why that would not have worked other than the PVC pipe having some flexibility.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

LOL!! I can just see each fender in the side mirrors when pulling it. Was wondering if I needed to put a flag or antenna for backing up, but that's not an issue since I can see the fenders/tires. There is plenty of room to drop the tailgate. By doing that I can see the trailer fine even when empty for backing.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Steve,
do you put the trailer into the water when loading or slide them off the back? If you slide them on and off without the trailer being somewhat submerged, do find the sharp ends on the PVC pipe provide a bit of a challenge vs. something with more a bevel to it?

"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Alphonse wrote:
Steve,
do you put the trailer into the water when loading or slide them off the back? If you slide them on and off without the trailer being somewhat submerged, do find the sharp ends on the PVC pipe provide a bit of a challenge vs. something with more a bevel to it?

I haven't had the opportunity to get in the water since picking the trailer up Friday. I will be fishing this weekend since I'm off for the holiday. I'm hoping the weather will be decent. My original thought was to just back the trailer down the ramp to the water's edge like I do the truck and just slide the PA off the back of the trailer like the back of the tailgate. If I were to submerge the trailer, I'd need to tie one of my boat ropes to the front handle to pull the PA back to me.

In my lake I'm usually only taking one PA, so using the trailer to off load just one will be some new steps. I had rounded off the edges of the PVC with a handheld sander when I used the PVC for the storage racks. So far no issues, but only time will tell. The PAs do sit lower on the trailer than the bed of the truck, so that's a plus. :D I will probably end up adding carpet to the PVC.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Perhaps an insert of wood in the end of the pipes would work. If you have access to a wood lathe you could glue up some stock large enough and turn some bullet shaped pieces that fit into the ends of the pipe. The pieces could be turned with a shoulder that matches the OD of the pipe and insert section that matches the ID of pipe.

"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Alphonse wrote:
Perhaps an insert of wood in the end of the pipes would work. If you have access to a wood lathe you could glue up some stock large enough and turn some bullet shaped pieces that fit into the ends of the pipe. The pieces could be turned with a shoulder that matches the OD of the pipe and insert section that matches the ID of pipe.

Alan,

That's not a bad idea. Will definitely give it some thought. Thanks! :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass