Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

HONOLULU – A kayak fisherman died Monday off Maui after a shark bit his dangling foot, officials said.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/02/ma ... rk-attack/

hope no one we know. they seemed to have gotten him to shore quickly. always makes me think of how bad it would suck to be in a situation like that all by yourself out there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Auwe! :( It's getting crazy here.

Maui is a hot zone right now. Mostly surfers are hit, with no warning, so I don't think there's a link to yak fisherman or divers, but the Aquahunters here are becoming very used to having their catches "taxed". Almost a daily occurrence.

Some guys are incredibly casual about letting their feet dangle (it balances the kayak), but I could never get used to it.

Thanks for the heads up, Rusty.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Geesus! I was just out fishing yesterday, and hung my legs over the side regularly. Like NOHUHU said, I'm never too comfortable doing it, but I do, just to break the monotony. I did hook up with a 6 footer (that does not include the 2' long tail.) Probably a 150 lb shark. I don't fish for sharks. It is pathetic. They are a nuisance fish in my mind. Besides, I'm always filled with a bit of anxiety when they hookup. Will they take all of my line, or worse, even my rod & reel? And, what if they decide to attack their tormentor (me). They are certainly capable of doing that. Fortunately, they usually cut the line before long, 30 sec would be a long time. But, sometimes that does not happen right away. More anxiety. Their teeth are very sharp and their skin is like sand paper. The one I hooked yesterday was unusual in that he leaped out of the water 3 times, before cutting the line.

Often sharks bump things, to see how it will respond--no response means it is probably not edible. When I'm hanging my legs over the side, I have in my mind, any bump--get your feet out of the water! Here in the Everglades the water is very murky. Logically, that is a +/-. Maybe they can't see you so well--the plus. They bite at something on you that attracts their attention, and they can't see it well enough to realize it is not something they normally eat. They've made a mistake--the negative. I have been standing in a couple feet of water and had sharks swim right by me w/o acknowledgement.

As I understand it, you die by bleeding out from a shark bite. Bad luck for that fisherman. There was a video of a shark bite on TV a yr or 2 ago. A group was doing a video shoot for some reason on some Caribbean island or some place. There was crystal clear water. The 100-200 lb shark came up to the director standing in the water waist deep. It seemed to go up to his calf, smell it for a moment, and then took a bite. The fellow got medical attention fairly quickly and survived.

Shark attacks and subsequent deaths are very news worthy, but, and I was thinking about it after I heard of the Hawaiian death a day or 2 ago, but probably for every shark attack death, dozens of people, maybe hundreds of people die in car accidents here in Florida, and these deaths hardly make the newspaper. I certainly don't want to go in a shark attack, but people will be able to say, "he died doing what he liked." Great. Not really. I don't like catching sharks.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Checked on everyone that I know that kayak fish here, before hearing it was a part-time resident from Washington state, Patrick A. Briney. I haven't heard who he was fishing with yet.

When I fish, it is in that same area. Getting crazy out here lately...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I read this it got me thinking, so I checked the statistics, it appears Florida is the shark attack capital of the world. So from now on I'm keeping my hands and feet in the boat.
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i'm from FL originally (melbourne beach) and had a friend get a small bite while he was surfing but i've been lucky. i had a few bumps and one particular one a lot more memorable since it was from a large powerful feeling ocean dweler in about 6 feet of water out at St. George island (FL). needless to say i booked it back into shore.

i've never seen one here in okinawa yet (thankfully) but have seen and heard of large ones getting caught just a couple hundred feet from shore. we have a large reef that drops off hundreds of feet very quickly. i prefer to stay inside the reef but this is not possible half the time. my wife says i'm too paranoid of sharks but maybe its a normal feeling to have. i've caught a bunch of 4-6' sharks and wouldn't care to get bit by one this size, let alone a larger shark. i've even seen a few in the 6-8' category come right up and start chewing on the prop of a boat,, glad it wasn't my kayak rudder :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Saw this yesterday and our local boards are all abuzz...we have one or two bankers get hit a year, usually the landlord takes a chomp and moves on. No one has gotten hurt, but eventually someone will get caught...

Freaky

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Very, very sad - making me rethink sitting side saddle and dropping my toes in the water. Only caught a glimpse of the kayak on the news, but it appears to be a fellow Hobie fisherman. Image

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Appears to be an outback. Popular as a fishing model over here. But hang your limbs overboard and it'll look like a giant turtle. Especially with those mirage fins.

The guy reportedly was a part-time Maui resident. (By the way Rusty, Maui is both an island and a county- separate from Honolulu county, on Oahu).

We don't know if Patrick had a VHF radio or other safety gear onboard, but we do know that he brought the most important thing. A buddy. In many cases this would make the difference between life and death.

If you're attacked and bleeding out, miles from shore, there is probably nothing another kayaker can do for you other than making sure that your body gets back. The same thing could very well happen to any of us while cutting bait or landing a toothy fish.

This week, I'm going shopping for a good tourniquet.

And I count myself lucky that I get to fish aboard the safest kayak of all, a tandem TI with another experienced waterman aboard.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

thanks, and yes i do know this ^ ^ ^,, i didn't notice it until after i copied and pasted it in from the article's headline. not sure why it was written like that except for maybe that is where the news outlet is located.

i went out this past weekend again by myself. it is so peaceful that way, but yeah if something bad happens i better hope i can still sail/paddle/peddle all while trying to make a cell phone call at the same time. else it may not turn out the way i want it too.