Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailer Question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So, I am buying my first new-to-me Hobie 16. Hooray!! Unfortunately, it's a long way away from me (Atlanta). So, I'll need to tow it back about 8 hours. My questions is: how high should the trailer tongue be off the road surface for a proper long distance tow? I drive a 4x4 Toyota Tacoma with slightly larger than normal tires (so, fairly high off the ground). When I tow our motor boat, I can use a straight ball mount, but when I've towed a uhaul, I have needed a drop ball mount of about 6" to keep the back of the trailer from being dangerously close to the ground (to avoid scraping). Although I'm not sure of the type of trailer, it is a catamaran-specific trailer and should be fairly standard in dimensions. It will also need a smaller ball than that which I have on my current ball mounts (can't be swapped out because they are stuck). Of course I can get up there and look a the angles, run to the store, buy a new mount, etc. That being said, I'd really love to have everything I need when I get there as it will be a long day already. So, anyone able to provide a measurement or input?

Much obliged

Post subject: Re: Trailer Question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:56 am 
Site Admin

Measured one with 12" Tires. Top of frame to ground is 21". The top of the hitch ball would have to be the same to have a level trailer.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, that's what I needed!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know which boat your getting I bet!!!!!!! I was looking at it also when he bought it!!!!!!! Good Luck. Yes, I would say drop hitch would be needed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

sxrracer,

Actually, I live in Atlanta. This is a boat in the mid-Atlantic, but the boat you speak of looks like a really great deal and in great shape too. The one I'm getting fits my wish list a little better, but a tough decision. This will be my first cat, and while I hope to keep in ATL, I have a house on Weiss lake in NE AL. Seein' as how you're from Tuscaloosa, you might have heard of it. Looking forward to gettin' wet over there before too long. Not sure if you race, but maybe we'll cross paths one day as I hope to get involved after I get a little experience on it.

Hope to see ya around

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd say a typical 16 trailer will have a lot of lee-way as far as tongue height goes. Pull rudders off for a long tow and you will have tons of clearance at the back end. And its a very light load so not much worry if your way high or low as far as it affecting the handling of the tow rig. Check the bearings and tires and lights...that's all I would worry about!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's not just about clearances! You want the tongue as close to level as possible to assure proper balance of the trailer, in addition to properly loading it. If you have the tongue too high, even a relatively lightweight trailer will likely sway all over the place, especially at speed. I often tow my 16 with my F250, and need about a 6" drop. even that my trailer (on 18" tall tires) points up a bit, so I have to load front heavy.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok, sounds like there is more trailer variation that I thought. Perhaps it's best to just hold off until I get there and see what fits the trailer the best. I agree that a level trailer is definitely the way to go. Thanks for all the responses!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A HC 16 is a pretty light load on a trailer get the tow vehicle and the trailer hooked up on flat ground and check to see if the trailer tongue is near level. close should be OK better a little high than low. Also important is wheel bearings= tight u bolts =tires that are less than 10 years old max= spare tire= lug wrench jack that will work= LED lights= good tie downs= good mast supports a small winch on mast support
Former Hobie Admiral Gary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ToddonaBoat wrote:
sxrracer,

Actually, I live in Atlanta. This is a boat in the mid-Atlantic, but the boat you speak of looks like a really great deal and in great shape too. The one I'm getting fits my wish list a little better, but a tough decision. This will be my first cat, and while I hope to keep in ATL, I have a house on Weiss lake in NE AL. Seein' as how you're from Tuscaloosa, you might have heard of it. Looking forward to gettin' wet over there before too long. Not sure if you race, but maybe we'll cross paths one day as I hope to get involved after I get a little experience on it.

Hope to see ya around

Post pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gary eudy wrote:
lug wrench jack that will work

Learned that one the hard way this year on the way to a regatta. Don't assume the lug wrench for your car will fit your trailer lugs! Best to keep a dedicated lug wrench in your trailer box, especially if you use multiple cars to pull your trailer.

Regarding tongue height, get it in the ball park, as close to horizontal as possible, and you're there. Trucks tend to have the hitch a bit high but doesn't seem to present a problem. Hobie trailers tend to have a nice long wheel base, and they're relatively light, so swaying and fishtailing aren't usually problems.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Having tongue weight if extremely important. Otherwise the trailer will fishtail as you go down the road and when braking. I learned in a sailing class that a single axle trailer should have hout 17% of total loaded trailer weignt carried at the tongue.

If you estimate that a H16/trailor is 450 pounds, the toungue should weigh around 75 pounds. I run a little heavier on long trips for two reasons -
1) More weight on the tongue means less weight on the wheel bearings and tires (less chance of tire blowout)
2) Less chance of fishtail when applying breaks.

2008 Hobie 16 (currently sailing the crap out of this boat)
1977 Super Sunfish
Founding member of the "San Dimas Yacht Club"
John