Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

2012 Revo 11

I had the sailing rudder and although it was tough, it was quite possible to stow and deploy the rudder.

Now I have an Evolve Torqeedo motor on there and it's literally impossible. I have checked the FAQs and posts about this (http://www.hobiefishing.com/articles/tw ... tments,90/). My drum is not too tight or too loose and it's lubricated. My lines are fine. I just can't get enough torque to lift the motor.

Anybody else have this problem? Any advice?

Thx.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Did you try pulling on the line while you flick the motor in reverse to get it started just a thought.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:20 pm 
Site Admin

You can create 2:1 purchase in the internal line systems?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
You can create 2:1 purchase in the internal line systems?

What is 2:1 purchase? Like some sort of pulley system?

fusioneng wrote:
Did you try pulling on the line while you flick the motor in reverse to get it started just a thought.

I can get it as far as the motor being almost out of the water. By that stage, the prop is already out of the water. I cannot get any farther than that though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chexone :

If your up/down works similar to the way mine does on my Tandem island, if I understand Matt correctly, then it should be pretty straight forward to add a pulley inside the hull to increase the leverage to the up pull cord. Basically look for a fairly clear area that the control line runs through that you can reach thru the hatch openings. Pull the rudder all the way up and mark the position, then let it down and mark the position (the cord in relation to the hull, and the point on the cord that you will cut, making sure the pulley will not catch on anything inside. You then cut the line about 2 inches forward of the front mark (2 inches so you have cord to be able to tie that cord to a small pulley), Now you will need a new piece of cord at least double the length of the remaining cord (that the handle is attached to). You will need to take old piece of cord out of the handle and replace it with the new longer cord. Feed the cord into the hole then snag it and feed it back and around the pulley. The other end of the cord just needs to be tied off to something solid inside the hull (preferably forward of the opening where the handle comes in and off to the side slightly so the 2 lines can't spin and twist easily).
Now when you pull on the handle the cord will come out much further and will be much longer than before, but you will have twice the leverage that you had before. (this is called a 2:1 purchase).

I recommend using a cinch knots if you can when tying spectra cord (you can get the spectra cord from most dealers (spectra is extremely strong with around 600 to 700 lbs break strength). While your there explain what you need (they will understand exactly what you need right away, this is all pretty common stuff, have them show you by pointing and explaining at what you need to do on another hull in their shop, they can help you select the correct pulley and will likely have it in stock, I'm sure many dealers will offer to do the work for you once they understand the problem for a couple bucks if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Very cool. That makes total sense. I'm going to give that a try. Thank you very much for the info.

fusioneng wrote:
Chexone :

If your up/down works similar to the way mine does on my Tandem island, if I understand Matt correctly, then it should be pretty straight forward to add a pulley inside the hull to increase the leverage to the up pull cord. Basically look for a fairly clear area that the control line runs through that you can reach thru the hatch openings. Pull the rudder all the way up and mark the position, then let it down and mark the position (the cord in relation to the hull, and the point on the cord that you will cut, making sure the pulley will not catch on anything inside. You then cut the line about 2 inches forward of the front mark (2 inches so you have cord to be able to tie that cord to a small pulley), Now you will need a new piece of cord at least double the length of the remaining cord (that the handle is attached to). You will need to take old piece of cord out of the handle and replace it with the new longer cord. Feed the cord into the hole then snag it and feed it back and around the pulley. The other end of the cord just needs to be tied off to something solid inside the hull (preferably forward of the opening where the handle comes in and off to the side slightly so the 2 lines can't spin and twist easily).
Now when you pull on the handle the cord will come out much further and will be much longer than before, but you will have twice the leverage that you had before. (this is called a 2:1 purchase).

I recommend using a cinch knots if you can when tying spectra cord (you can get the spectra cord from most dealers (spectra is extremely strong with around 600 to 700 lbs break strength). While your there explain what you need (they will understand exactly what you need right away, this is all pretty common stuff, have them show you by pointing and explaining at what you need to do on another hull in their shop, they can help you select the correct pulley and will likely have it in stock, I'm sure many dealers will offer to do the work for you once they understand the problem for a couple bucks if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I finally got around to installing the 2:1 purchase on my rudder up line. It works great.

Not only is it now possible to bring my rudder up, it's almost easy!

Thanks again for the tips.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:

AH,,, great idea!!! 2X on this move