Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Several years ago I was give a main sail by a guy in his mid seventies who had stopped sailing. It is a white dacron sail with the standard Hobie logo at the top. Underneath is a large black "N" with a red arrow going through it. It's number, 674, has only three original digits (No... two didn't fall off) and is an unusual script than the normal Hobie block numbers. Can anyone here shed any light on this sail? I don't have any photos or I would post them. Is there a Hobie museum this sail should be in?

Last edited by sunvista on Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I want to say it's from the Worrell 1000. I think I recall seeing the symbol you're talking about in the Worrell book. I assume it was a North arrow with the implication of "Head North." Did you pick it up on the East coast by any chance?

sm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:10 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

It is from the Worrell 1000 - the 1978 one to be exact.

The "guy in his mid-70s" was probably Sledd Shelhorse, since that was his sail in the event and I know he still lives in the Va. Beach area. http://www.apsltd.com/c-5387-sleddshelhorse.aspx

Does it belong in a museum? Maybe. It does have some historical significance, but it's obscure. My guess is that it's not in very good shape unless it's been extremely well cared for. E-mail me a good photo, and it'll be in the next Hotline.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep. That's the one. And its still in pretty good shape. No rips, tears or stains to speak of. I'm not sure if it was Sledd that I got it from. He was a neighbor of a former colleague of mine and I met him that one time only. He actually gave me whole boat that was in very poor shape. I gave the boat away to a guy who fixed it up for his son. I kept the sail. The boat was not the yellow hulled one in the photo.

I was just joking about the museum. Is there one? Anyone want to buy a piece of history?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Our first Hobie had solid red sails made by McKibben I think. #198 Many moons ago!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not sure what the significance, if any, of the three digit "674" number is or why the unique script. Maybe one of the Hobie guys knows. I'm sure that by 1978 Hobie had produced a lot more than 674 boats. Maybe not.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:28 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

sunvista wrote:
I'm not sure what the significance, if any, of the three digit "674" number is or why the unique script. Maybe one of the Hobie guys knows. I'm sure that by 1978 Hobie had produced a lot more than 674 boats. Maybe not.

By 1978, the factory Hobie 16 sail numbers were in the 30,000s. Hobie had nothing to do with that sail number.

Sledd would be able to tell you the significance. He still lives in Va. Beach - you can find his address on-line. (Google is your friend.)

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So, the current 300 mile race linked me to a youtube called old school... and it only goes back to the early spi races.
The old w1000 site had some of the old data, but now that address redirects to the beachcats. maybe the old site is archived there somewhere?
Anyone have any links to info about the H16 days? Seems kind of weird that that whole aspect of the race seems to have gone done the memory hole.
i remember that book in the OP. Must be a rare book these days. Wasn't there something about a "national geographic" piece back then as well?
thanks and smooth sailing