Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rudder Issue
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dear Gentlemen,

I appreciate the responses and advice, but they unfortunately only validate the perception of how sensitive and prone to failure the system is. Over-engineered is the term that comes to mind. I will work with my local dealer to determine the proper weight distribution, line tension and temperature to address this.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2012 TI and have had no problems with the steering.(located in NH) My partner bought a 2013 TI in New Zealand and we are havingf steering problems. I have to hold a lot of pressure to the left. I had so much pressure on it that it slipped and came loose at the rudder. The winds were probably 15 knots. I will try it again and see what happens but time will tell.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Gentlemen,
I think I have found the problem to the rudder. I put the TI on my trailer and pulled the rudder into the down position and locked it down. I noticed a lot of strech in the cable and had about three feet of cable out...........I checked thye rudder and it had not come down all the way...and I* pulled it pretty hard....so I really reefed on it and got it to lock forward...but the cable still has too much strech in it. I am wondering if Hobie is using a different material than on the 2012 model because I do not have that problem with my older one??? I am sure that was causing my problem...try yours guys and see if you have the same results. Pull it down and lo9ck it and see if it is coming down all the way and how solid it is in the locked position...there is no doubt in my mind that this was the problem with mine.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:29 am 
Site Admin

All models use spectra except for the black part that exits to the T handles. You can check the internal lines. Perhaps the bungee return (what pulls the lines back into the hull) is fighting you as you get closer to full down? You can adjust the length to have the down line shorter. A small camera inside the hull can help see what is going on.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The problem was the cable inside the sheild was sticking and not retracting the line. I got it freed up and believe some lubricant will solve the sticking problem. I am willing to bet that this same problem is affecting other folks. I never had this problem withn my 2012 TI. I did use the camera and it worked well to see the problem...thanks...problem solved.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

10013711 wrote:
Dear Gentlemen,

I appreciate the responses and advice, but they unfortunately only validate the perception of how sensitive and prone to failure the system is. Over-engineered is the term that comes to mind. I will work with my local dealer to determine the proper weight distribution, line tension and temperature to address this.

Thanks!

1001, I believe your expectations are unrealistic. The plastic hull is known to expand or contract by as much as an inch according to ambient temperature. This in turn can be affected by water temperature. Connections to the rudder could not practically be made using "har" mechanical links (especially for the TI with its double steering stations) and even then this changing of hull length would still be an issue.

I believe (and with about 250 trips so far under my TI's belt) that the system is not over-engineered, but practical and logical, and once adjusted according to the advice given here and by your dealerr, is trouble-free.

As regarding weight distribution.. this is simple really:- in the water, we have drag, up above we have forward force. The obvious tendency is for the bow to drop into the bow wave (even without additional sails etc)
Image,
so moving weight aft will tend tokeep the bow higher (and colaterally lighten the tiller load).

Overall, I believe the Islands are an excellent compromise between performance, versatility and fun, and I can't think of any major changes needed, but maybe I am not fussy enough....