Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

melnoelhorn wrote:
I had similar problems with my cart within weeks of it's delivery. It was promptly replaced by Hobie and I have not had that problem with the replacement. I do not load my cart to the degree that Snakebite does but I feel that a $500 cart should be able to carry the weight he describes.

However, I do have my problems using the cart. I have not found a way to easily get the TI on the cart. I lift the front end of the kayak with one hand and holding the yellow handle, slide the cart under. All goes well until the yellow handle moves under the hull. Then as I try to pull the kayak further onto the cart the cart starts to roll, preventing me from centering the kayak on the cart. I have tried attaching rope to the cart and pulling the cart under the TI (as shown by someone who built their own cart), but then I have trouble with the kayak moving. I only use the cart once or twice a year because I keep my TI on my boat lift, but I would like the beach launch to go smoother. When I launch in the spring, I plan to try blocking the wheels. Anyone else have any ideas?

I used the cart on my TI for the first time last week and the way I did it was while the TI was in the water, I slid the cart (in the water) from the stern pushing with the yellow handle. I then clipped the straps to the (I think rear seat) hand holds. Then pulled the boat out of the water onto the beach and it worked much better than I thought. I had no idea if this was the correct way or how most people do it but it worked for me. It was handy pulling the boat above the tide line for camping. It would have been a real chore to get it in and out of the water myself without that cart.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i have 2 comments here:

1: the absolute hardest part of solo-ing my TI for me is getting the rear ass end up on the beach cart, then i just pick up the front and walk it down to the water. after this part the hard stuff is over for me, but just getting the cart under the TI and the TI up in the air enough with one hand is my hardest part. i am 5'6'' bout 150 :D

on one occasion i thought i had the cart up under the rear of the TI enough and when i let go of the TI it hit the cart only half on and the yellow handle flew up and pegged me on the side of the head :D was kinda more embarrassing than anything since there are usually people watching me from the road when i set it up/launch it and un-launch it. i tried to play it off like it didn't happen but i kept being reminded of it for the next hour or so.

2: my first beach cart cracked within a couple months, brought it back to the dealer (dennis in annapolis md) and he swapped it out for a new one which was awesome. after a season of a new cart on okinawa it too was all cracked up so i ordered a new top pvc part mounting thing (the part that was cracked) that the boat sits on and is attached to the axle of the beach cart thingy. i have been using the severely cracked cart still just waiting for the day it completely fails and i will put the good replacement piece on. but it has sure held up even though severely cracked and unsightly that's for sure. guess it is really just an eyesore at this point but still seems to get the job done.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CaptnChaos (Jim):
Did I read it correctly that you now have a TI. How do you like it.
I know on mine I realize it's a much larger boat and sooo much more work to handle getting it in and out of the water and store over the AI.

But because it's bigger it's more versatile, I know with ours we load it down with gear and passengers (sometimes too much gear and too many people) that having that extra capacity makes our TI so much more versatile IMO. We used to have a family powerboat boat and a bunch of kayaks, but the TI has completely replaced the Sea Ray and the TI is now the only boat we have. We sold all of our other kayaks and both my wife and I actually prefer the TI kayak over our old Oasis (in kayak mode).
Anymore I typically just use my trailer (yea I finally broke down and got a trailer, no more car topping).

I'm interested to find out what mods you've done so far, we should get together again soon.
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes Bob, I got a TI and love it. Taking passengers (wife) comfortably is the main reason as well as the bigger sail. It is a bear to move though and that's why I got the Hobie cart which saved my back in the Everglades a few weeks ago.

Mods - hybrid NOHUHU/Batman style no flex wooden hakas. I made the first set perfect but then covered them with fiberglass and gel coat (I thought they would look really cool) but that turned out to be a disaster and the hakas were way too heavy. I ended up throwing them out and making another set without fiberglass. Not sure if I'll adopt the jib setup to the TI. Might add a spinnaker. I beefed up my Evolve motor system to give me more than enough range. Added a spare 520w battery so I can do extended trips without the the anxiety of losing wind and having to peddle 15 miles home. Or to help battle strong tides in the passes.

But yeah, I'm up for heading out anytime. Preferably Dunedin causeway area. Maybe even a race to see how well your wing setup works :wink: .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A race!! Yes, yes, yes!!!

Keith

PS Will it be WaterTribe style with the start above high tide line?

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

Cart design...

I don't think the design is "lacking". This is more a case of over loading and longer distance / frequent use. We have to balance bulk, weight, cost to make specific carts. Scupper carts have their limits as do these dollies. Perhaps more of a trailer is required here. What is appropriate for some is way over built and costly for the rest.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

melnoelhorn

I too struggled to get my TI onto the beach cart when I first got it. However, I added an extension to the handle so that when the cart was at the balance point the end of the handle just came to the bow. Now getting the boat on and off the cart is much easier since I no longer have to reach under the hull to control the cart while maneuvering the boat. Typically I just stand on the handle end and push or pull the boat.

I also find it is slightly easier to get the boat on/off the cart with the amas in their sailing (out) position rather than folded in. Also, it goes easier if I can orient the boat into the wind, not always doable in the surf but in calm water it help a lot.