Site Rank - Old Salt

Wishing all, a Great 2014!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1JMUD5tSRA[/youtube]

http://youtu.be/e1JMUD5tSRA

from Kayaking Bob & Dee

Post subject: Re: Happy Holidays 2013
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice video, KB! Best wishes to you and your family, also.

I do have a question about that double trailer. I'm thinking of something like that, but wonder how you are (1) washing the boat hardware, especially the akas & crossbars, and (2) how do you store those boats--do you leave them on the trailer?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Keith,

I wash the boats right on the trailer after floating them on and then tying down the front with one strap each. I tried putting both straps on once but the boats floated the trailer wheels off the bottom (steep ramp)! At the same time I wash the trailer. It's mostly aluminum and stainless, but has some plain steel parts. I do normally disassemble the boats once home and store them on the racks on the side of my garage, but it's because I don't know what combination of islands I will use next trip. With the extra area I added to the trailer, the boats store on the trailer fine as long I place the front trailer support at a strong spot (mirage drive well).

After my experience, friends bought an AI double trailer and at my recommendation added plywood and rug over the whole area which works even better than mine. I don't use cradles because of constant changing mix of AI's and TI's on the trailer. Also with the ama's off, I can fit 3 AI/TI's across, with the ama's mounted to a little jig strapped on top of the hulls.

One negative, the double TI trailer is 8 feet wide which is tight on most Maui roads (got hit once already but with minimal damage to the trailer). I would recommend the double AI trailer for most.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, the roads can be narrow as I remember. Without digging in my t-shirts, I think I have one that says something like "I survived the road to Hana" or something like that.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Merry Christmas to Bob and all the other Island fans out there.

As regards washing and storing, I store my TI on its Hobie cradles on the trailer, and at the ramp after use, I take the time to thoroughly wash everything down in fresh water (including the towcar!), paying particular attention to any hollow galvanised steel tubing on the trailer.

I use this time for relaxation, and an opportunity to sing the praises of Hobie in general and Islands in particular, to the passing holiday makers who are fascinated with this unusual creature (two buyers so far :D ). Everything then gets dried out on the short drive home, and the trailer then rolled into the garage after all bungees are removed from tension, and any inhull water tipped out (and 7Ah battery put on charge if necessary).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the Christmas video Bob and the same wishes to you and family. You live and sail in a magic part of the world and certainly seem to make the most out of it.

Stay safe over the Christmas period everyone and hope to see you all back here next year.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.