Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Howdy guys!

Newbie to the forum. I am a regular on AKF (Austin Kayak Fishing). Anyways...I am installing a H-bird 998 on my PA 12 and have a question for y'all. I have the transducer mount all figured out and is detailed below. My question is on the entry point of the transducer cable at the rear of the boat. Are there any moving components...ie, rudder control cables or anything else in the region below? Or is there any reason I should not drill in this area? Ulitimatly, there will be a thru hull deck seal fitting where the cable enters, I just need to make sure I'm won't be messing anything up by drilling back there.

Thanks in advance!!!

Ryan

Here is what I have set up thus far (My post from AFK)

http://austinkayakfishing.com/forum/vie ... 003#p85003

I recently picked up a Humminbird 998 with side imaging. The first issue that came to mind was where/how to mount the transducer. I knew bc of the side imaging, that the transducer would not work up in the transducer covey that already existed on the PA. After some thought and seeing how the mariner guys mounted their transducers off of the back, I figured that would be the best option.

First thing I had to do was to make a small modification on the H-bird metal mounting bracket. I drilled out the middle slot to 1/4 inch so that I could mount a RAM 1" screwball

I then mounted one of these to the back hand rail of the PA
RAM Part # RAM-B-231ZU

From there, I stole the 3.5" RAM arm from my existing FF mount and put it all together.

I still need to decide where I want the entry point for the transducer cable and also which fitting to use to seal off the hole. I will document the remainder of the install but it would be anything that you haven't already seen

HERZOG

SUPERNOVA FISHING LIGHTS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Happy Holidays!

I remember seeing several posts where folks uses a fitting that mounted in the drain plug mount that allowed them to run a transducer cable out that way without drilling any new holes. You could probably find it in the forums. Looking at your pictures of the installed transducer, it makes me wonder if the transducer is low enough to submerge in the water. Good luck with it! :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yeah I saw those posts where the drain plug was used. Didn't want to go that route. Also, drilling a new hole is no problem, just need to make sure there is nothing internally that will get in the way.

In the position that I have the transducer in now, it may be a little high. No problem to extend the RAM rail mount and arm down to extend well past the water line so no worries there.

Thanks for the reply!

HERZOG

SUPERNOVA FISHING LIGHTS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I can't help with your question but if you have a cell phone with video turn on the video and stick your hand down the back hatch and video the inside of the hull.
I'm sure someone from Hobie will post a reply to answer your question.

I love this idea. I have the Humminbird 898 and have my transducer mounted in the transducer hole under the hull, but I don't get full side imaging.

Please keep us post on your progress and let us know how it works when it's installed and tested on the water.

The only issue I see if it is mounted back there is it will be hard to clear debris or kelp if it get hung up on the transducer. You will also have to be careful on beach landings.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

svendawg wrote:
I can't help with your question but if you have a cell phone with video turn on the video and stick your hand down the back hatch and video the inside of the hull.
I'm sure someone from Hobie will post a reply to answer your question.

I love this idea. I have the Humminbird 898 and have my transducer mounted in the transducer hole under the hull, but I don't get full side imaging.

Please keep us post on your progress and let us know how it works when it's installed and tested on the water.

The only issue I see if it is mounted back there is it will be hard to clear debris or kelp if it get hung up on the transducer. You will also have to be careful on beach landings.

Great Idea about the cell phone. I'm sure that'll work just fine. Thanks!

I am a bass fisherman from Texas, so no kelp to worry about. Most of our lakes do have thick grass mats in the summer but I usually take a different boat if I plan on fishing those. Also, most lakes in central TX have rocky shores so wear on the transducer is something to be concerned about. My hopes are that I can find a happy medium in the tension that back rail mounted RAM ball that will allow the transducer to hold position but will also allow me to flip it up and out of the way when needed. Time will tell

HERZOG

SUPERNOVA FISHING LIGHTS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am thinking about upgrading my 788CI Humminbird to a 998 on my PA 14, where and how are you mounting the head at? I presently have the 788 on a Mad Frog Liberator with transducer arm mounted to one of the side bars (I need to have the rear bar empty so I can wrestle the PA onto a trailer about 5 or 6' tall) and the battery is in a waterproof battery box next to the seat, no holes were drilled anywhere.
Have you looked at YakAttack's products?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

atavuss wrote:
I am thinking about upgrading my 788CI Humminbird to a 998 on my PA 14, where and how are you mounting the head at? I presently have the 788 on a Mad Frog Liberator with transducer arm mounted to one of the side bars (I need to have the rear bar empty so I can wrestle the PA onto a trailer about 5 or 6' tall) and the battery is in a waterproof battery box next to the seat, no holes were drilled anywhere.

Currently I have a HB 587 installed on a 1" RMA mount as pictured below.

I purchased the RAM-111U with the 1.5" ball that should accommodate the 998. The hole pattern on the RAM ball base is the same on the 1" and the 1.5" so it's just a matter of swapping it out on the side bar.

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/ ... fault.aspx

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XySmFNHW3Q[/youtube]

With Kids and Christmas....I just need to find a couple of hours to myself to put it all together.

Btw.....here is the answer to my original question. Click the image below and should take you to a video of the inside of the hull looking back towards the drain plug

HERZOG

SUPERNOVA FISHING LIGHTS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Finally had some time to get most of this installed.

After much deliberation, decided to have the exit point of the cable on the high point of the back of the boat. Left a little slack in the cord for adjustments. Once I have it fine tuned out on the water, I'll seal everything up.

Mounted the GPS Puck on the side board right above the cable port. I may move it, but it's good for now. Shouldn't get in the way

Larger RAM mount with wiring harness

I'll post up again once I've had it out on the water

HERZOG

SUPERNOVA FISHING LIGHTS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

atavuss wrote:

Smilies
I have the Humminbird 898. I have mine mounted in the sail mast hole in front of the mirage drive.
I mounted a 1.5 Ram mount ball on 1/2 PVC to a 1/2 flange to the ball mount. I then use a 8" ram arm where the head unit is mounted.
This gives me enough height to bring the head unit up and forward so it doesn't interfere when I pedal the mirage drive.
I don't have a picture but I can take some after I return from a fishing trip to Bahia Asunscion for 10 days

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just an FYI.......went out for the first time since the install. When the RAM arm is fully extended downward, it is more than enough to put the transducer in the water. No issues whatsoever.

HERZOG

SUPERNOVA FISHING LIGHTS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

good to know - thx for sharing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

One problem is that your signal is behind you, I saw (and copied) someplace on this forum , the transducer is "cut" into the transducer shield under the center of the boat, and sealed in with marine goop, it works great and hasn't been beat up from grounding. It protrudes about 3/4" on the shield, it dosen't inter fer loading it on the trailer.
Do a search if you want.
If your right handed you fish off the left side of the boat more often, mount your FF on the right side to avoid hitting it when casting.