Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry I haven't yet learned the best way to post photos here but I include a dropbox link. I'm hoping to get advice on the best way to fix this leak without making it looked gommed up. I think smearing some Marine Goop on it would stop water from getting in but I was hoping for a more aesthetic looking fix. Since it's 6+, almost 7 years old I certainly wouldn't expect Hobie to replace the hull. https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4cumltmtyjnv ... 20well.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Contact your Hobie dealer to put in a claim. They won't replace it for free, but have been very generous with credits toward a new hull, compatible with your existing aka & mast. And a 2013-14 to boot, with all the latest improvements. Can't hurt to ask.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OK Thanks, I will, Kayaking Bob.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Remember that a replacement bare hull costs a bucket of plastic and some brass inserts (plus of course the lasbour and poweer needed to operate the mold). So it makes sense for Hobie to provide a replacement hull at a pretty reasonable price, and maintain their reputation as the very best at after sales service.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I know they do a great job with customer service and strive to keep their reputation sparkling, but it's going on 7 years old which seems like it could be outside any warranty. The crack could have happened a couple of years ago and i might have mistaken water in the hull from splash over the penetrations on the deck like from the rudder line penetrations or unglued gasketing on the front hatch. But I was on a very calm river with absolutely no splashing on the upper deck for about 3 hours last year and it filled up so much I couldn't get it up the boat ramp without opening the rear hatch, turning it over and dumping out over 5 gallons and maybe up to 10 gallons of water. I did the hull leak air pressure testing with the outlet of a shop vac and soapy spray all over the hull and couldn't get it to create bubbles and didn't see this crack until the day before yesterday. I think it may have opened up and been more visible as a result of cooler weather and consequent plastic shrinkage. Maybe I just wasn't looking close enough. There were lots of soap bubbles forming around the upper deck penetrations like the rudder lever, the rudder lines and the wiring penetration I made for the depth finder, but no soap bubbles on the hull.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You have nothing to lose by seeing your dealer, do you? Of course it is perobably out of warranty, but Hobie doesn't like to let owners down, and they might surprise you with their offer.

Please please don't try some repair until you have seen your dealer...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I will certainly wait to see what the dealer and Hobie Central have to say. I have talked to the dealer on the phone and sent pictures and hull serial number to the dealer's customer service email address. I will post the results here when they get back to me..... but Hobie Central is closed until Jan.6 so it won't be right away.