Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

No springs today at Pedder Bay but 1 nice ling cod (released as season is closed). Calm wind sunshine and 8 degrees. I'll post some pics tomorrow.
T2
First light heading out to the mouth of the bay.

Fishing at the mouth of the bay--you can see the Olympic Mountains south across Juan de Fuca Strait in the background.

I trolled for spring salmon across the mouth of the bay using a 7 lb ball on the downrigger down as far as 150 feet on the rigger to reach the bottom. I was targeting spring salmon feeding on needlefish right on the sandy bottom--sometimes it can be really hot but the fish were not there yesterday. The rule for fishing winter spring salmon is if you don't get hits--move. These fish are hungry most of the time so if you are not getting bites, it means they are simply not there and you need to go look for them. I moved over to the south side of the bay, close to the rocks and tried a home made jig that my dad made back in the '80's and caught this ling.

I will try a different spot before my xmas holidays are over. Happy New Year kayak fishers!
T2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, T2, can't believe you are out this time of the year in that location!

Please, tell us what kind of clothing, fowl weather gear you are using.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Chekika--You have to remember--that was 8 degrees Centigrade--well above freezing. I have polypro long underwear and top, heavy fleece warm up pants and top covered in a Kototat kayaking dry suit. Polypro socks then wool socks (then drysuit booties) covered by some wading boots on the feet. As there was no wind and I was peddling steady while trolling, I found I was too warm so off comes the toque as a heat regulator. I always take neoprene gloves but didn't wear them as it was so comfortable. Very doable but you have to pick your day. Today it is raining and there is a wind picking up so I've got the wood stove going and a good book to read. Tomorrow's forecast is no rain or wind so I might give it another shot at another location further west along Juan de Fuca Strait. There are plenty of feeder spring salmon around (also named winter springs or kings as you call them in the States--I know--it's confusing!) that range from 5 lbs to 13 or 14 lbs this time of year. (Thank you Washington state hatcheries!)
T2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Post pics when you start catching.

It's rotten weather here in S FL. Raining & cloudy all day with no wind. Oh, currently (8:30 pm) it is 74 deg Fahrenheit. Really, we haven't even had a sniff of what we call winter.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon