Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Steering
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, you would have, NOHUHU.

I replaced my rudder lines yesterday, but it was close to impossible using ordinary available tools to get the 1000# rudder lines through those in-tube grommets KB talks about. In the end, I broke both micro grommets for the tubes. It is surprising that Hobie does not sell (at least Austin Canoe & Kayak in Austin, TX, does not list them) those lines of appropriate length fitted with new tubes/rubber grommets in place. This would make them much easier to replace than taking simple 1000# line and try to fit it thru the tubes and the grommets. I got the lines replaced, but the internal grommets are gone.

I'm probably going to try to caulk those tubes to reduce water entering through the up/down rudder line openings.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keith, before Hobie started using the grommets, I use to fill the outside ends of the rudder line tubes with silicon adhesive and then move the lines a little while it dried to 'custom size' the tube id's like you are thinking with caulking. It did help.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
It is surprising that Hobie does not sell (at least Austin Canoe & Kayak in Austin, TX, does not list them) those lines of appropriate length fitted with new tubes/rubber grommets in place.

Goodness, they don't??? I ended up using a complete tube/line assembly from my old boat, but it's a bit rough of Hobie to sell lines which clearly wear and break and not supply the part which is necessary to replace them. Jim's video suggests Hobie supplies complete assemblies with its rudder upgrade kit. I wonder if Matt could comment.