Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There was too much slack in the previous version with bungee - FAIL

The new and improved ball-n-socket version looks to be a winner - we'll find out Monday in 8-20 mph winds :shock:

Last edited by proyak on Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That looks like a great solution. I wonder how well it stays on the golf ball? Maybe a magnet glued inside the elbow would work if it were any trouble.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SailingandSuch wrote:
That looks like a great solution. I wonder how well it stays on the golf ball? Maybe a magnet glued inside the elbow would work if it were any trouble.

S&S it's a very snug fit already as I reamed out the elbow to suit. :wink:

Last edited by proyak on Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought Hobie's solution is very elegant. A piece of cable like that used in Miragedrives, screws into the tiller and into the hiking stick. Clever

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

tonystott wrote:
I thought Hobie's solution is very elegant. A piece of cable like that used in Miragedrives, screws into the tiller and into the hiking stick. Clever

Tony,...but can the "elegant" Hobie version be used to club fish to death, and also double as a camera monopod ?! :lol:

Pics pending.....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:

Does anyone use this?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

NOHUHU wrote:
tonystott wrote:

Does anyone use this?

NOHUHU @ $62 I don't think Hobie would have many takers - my version cost about $3 (old broom handles can be easily found in most neighborhoods on garbage collection days!) and the golf ball feels good all day long without the stick.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very clever idea there Proyak for a ball joint design! 8)
Nohuhu ...even cleverer reply re the golf club for the stick!! :lol:

NOHUHU wrote:
tonystott wrote:

Does anyone use this?

I do, and I like it.
I agree with Tony but rather than hijack Proyack's thread I'll review it separately.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use the hiking stick & like it, but have not done a lot of haka riding yet because I don't have a reliable tether. Most of my sailing is solo unless I'm on a camping trip (also, sometimes, solo.)

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

stringy wrote:
Very clever idea there Proyak for a ball joint design! 8)
Nohuhu ...even cleverer reply re the golf club for the stick!! :lol:

NOHUHU wrote:
tonystott wrote:

Does anyone use this?

I do, and I like it.
I agree with Tony but rather than hijack Proyack's thread I'll review it separately.

Thanks Stringy your comment is very appropriate in view of the fact that this thread is supposed to be all about "Personal Modifications/Ideas" and not off-the-shelf bolt on Hobie accessories for those who have buckets of cash! Some of us blue-collar types have to come up with cheaper alternatives to achieve the some ends as the affluent. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't know anyone who owns an AI/TI who could not afford $67 for an off-the-shelf hiking stick--that may be the best idea out there. If a person likes to make their own, and they have lots of time for modifications, tweaking, great, more power to them. Your time is yours to use as you wish. Clearly, you, Proyak, like to spend time making a hiking stick, many have been made before Hobie came out with theirs (none of which I was too keen on.) Some of us like to spend our time on other things. What is that old cliché?..."to each his own." I think Tony was just throwing out another idea for "personal modification/ideas." Some of us will work on hakas, spray skirts, and videos, at least until Hobie brings out a better idea.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am a pensioner, certainly not affluent, but my comment was not inappropriate as it directly referred to another choice of haka hiking stick. Perhaps subsequent comments by others might be considered hijacking, but mine wasn't. Also, sometimes spending a bit of money is necessary to get an item which does exactly what is required,and the Hobie item seems to be a very clever solution at a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Chekika wrote:
I don't know anyone who owns an AI/TI who could not afford $67 for an off-the-shelf hiking stick--that may be the best idea out there. If a person likes to make their own, and they have lots of time for modifications, tweaking, great, more power to them. Your time is yours to use as you wish. Clearly, you, Proyak, like to spend time making a hiking stick, many have been made before Hobie came out with theirs (none of which I was too keen on.) Some of us like to spend our time on other things. What is that old cliché?..."to each his own." I think Tony was just throwing out another idea for "personal modification/ideas." Some of us will work on hakas, spray skirts, and videos, at least until Hobie brings out a better idea.

Keith

Thanks Keith for your defense of Tony - I hear ya! :)
Thanks Tony for your comment too!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

proyak wrote:
Some of us blue-collar types have to come up with cheaper alternatives to achieve the some ends as the affluent. :wink:

Proyak,
You could easily come up with a solution identical to Hobie's and therefore just as good. I thought of it after reading your original golf ball V1.0 steering knob thread and Nohuhu's gag about using a matching golf club handle for a stick.
The Hobie hiking stick looks for all the world like a golf putter with the head cut off. If you could get an old golf club (preferably carbon fibre to avoid rust) it would be easy to add the threaded cable end from a broken Miragedrive idler cable.
Most of us who have had Hobie's for a number of years will have replaced their idler cables/drive chains. The old ones can be cut up or you could get one from a dealer.
Hobie have pop rivetted theirs but it could be epoxied in as well. It does make for a good connection at all angles, whether pushing or pulling. Like you my first homemade hiking stick involved a bungee connection and while it worked OK it wasn't as smooth as the Hobie version.
Your ball joint version may work out fine. I look forward to your testing reports. My concern with your design is that it just slips over the ball and could dislodge while tacking. It's amazing how much the hiking stick gets thrown around when sailing and hiking out! :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

stringy wrote:
Your ball joint version may work out fine. I look forward to your testing reports. My concern with your design is that it just slips over the ball and could dislodge while tacking. It's amazing how much the hiking stick gets thrown around when sailing and hiking out! :)

Thanks Stringy for calming the waters that I inadvertently stirred up by my unwise comments about the have's vs the have-not's. :(

The following is slightly off topic but pertinent :|
All my life I've had to run on the smell of an oily rag and I constantly seek ways to recycle/repair/innovate, etc. as opposed to buying new. I guess it's my heritage from my Ukrainian grandfather who immigrated to Canada in 1924 with only a suitcase and $10. He transformed a wilderness into a productive farm living hours from the nearest city or any stores. I'm not jealous of wealthy folk at all - in fact I have some as very close friends. Perhaps some of my thrifty solutions will help others similarly situated.

My 2013 Hobie AI was purchased used (at a huge discount) from a spoiled rich kid who abused it terribly. However, I'm thankful I have this versatile craft that brings so much pleasure (and quite a few fish) to my wife and others!

I recently sold my Hobie PA-12 because after several 5-10 mile trips off Florida's east coast, I stirred up some arthritis in my hip due to dumping my motorbike in the Himalayas in '96. The only other boat I've owned was a well-kept 10' Parkercraft sailing dinghy which I took from Godzone to Fiji on a fishing trawler, and used it there to explore the Yasawa Islands (over numerous winters) which I'm sure you are aware of as many Auzzies holiday there.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll test my DIY hiking stick and report back to you if I'm not too tired.

Last edited by proyak on Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:15 am, edited 7 times in total.