Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getaway Projects
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Anyone willing to share their cool boat project created this year?
The pictures below show how to create an inexpensive telescoping rod for the Go Pro Hero. We used it on our Hobie Getaway a few weeks ago, it captured a great angle. We also used the rod to mount our tri color nav light.

Below is a picture taken from the finished product.

Post subject: Re: Getaway Projects
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

hi, I noticed you put reef points in your main. please share how
these work out. Does top of sail stay in comptip sail groove? Do you
use extra piece of line to attach to halyard? thanks, doug

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And what is that black frame attached above your Cheeta?
And what's wrapped around the back of wing seats?

Also, how did you fasten down the boxes by the stern?
And...who put in the reef points? I'm very interested!

Great modifications!

Very interesting and cool setup for the light and camera!

Where are you sailing?
I'm jealous - my Getaway is in the storage garage, the lakes are frozen, it's below zero with a foot of new snow on the ground. Might be time for a road trip south!

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It looks like the black and the gray boxes in the stern are used to carry the battery for a trolling motor, correct?

I too am very interested to see how you fastened these boxes to the hull...I need to install something similar to my Getaway in order to fasten down the electric trolling motor's battery. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Doug,

The reef points were installed to meet a requirement for entering the Everglades Challenge (a 300 mile sailing challenge from Fort Desoto to Key Largo FL.) We took the sail to Tackle Shack (our Hobie dealer) I believe his sailmaker created reinforced reef points just above a batten as well as an additional reinforced eyelet for connecting the main sheet to the clew of the sail right at the reef point. For the Getaway, converting from a full to reefed main while under sail entails pointing the boat into irons, disconnecting the main sheet from the sail, lowering the main to the desired reef point, then re-cleating the main halyard, then rolling up the excess sail to be tied off with the three reef ties. Lastly, reconnect the main sheet to the eyelet installed by the sail maker. No adjustments were made to the halyard. I'll try and post pictures of our sail reefed.

We've participated in the Everglades Challenge the past two years and have found this reefing system to be very useful. No issues so far.

Josh
Aka ClamCounter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dorienc,

We sail out of Clearwater, FL. This weekend sailed about 30 miles from Clearwater Pass to Fort Desoto, FL and we were in drysuits but the conditions were great (flat seas and 10 - 15 mph winds.) Great sailing this time of year in FL.

The grey box is an excellent dry box purchased from the NRS website and the black box is a waterproof, solar paneled power station that I built from a Pelican box. Inside the black box is a marine Kenwood stereo unit and two Alpine component speakers along with a solar panel charge controller and a 24 volt SLA battery, cigarette lighter outlet and power inverter. Basically, I use this box as a stereo that recharges my electronics (cell phone, VHF, blow up mattress pumps for camping, Christmas light for boat parade, GO Pro's etc.) via USB or power inverter.

Both boxes are secured via the same straps I use to secure the boat to the trailer. The straps are simply wrapped around the aft beam of the boat, wings and the handle of the dry box. In March we were sailing in heavy winds on a run when the winds oscilated while we were on the face of a wave the boat unintentionally jibed, then inevitably capsize. The grey box stayed in it's place because of the straps. We were well prepared for the conditions, righted the boat and happily continued our sail.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Vetteman,

Glad to hear others interested in the Getaway, it a very versatile boat.

We actually use a 2 HP Honda (long shaft) on our Cheetah motor mount. We have had the motor for a little less than 3 years and since day one we have given it a serious beating. It takes a lot of salt water from passing other boats bow wakes and even chop from waves. We sail our boat often and the motor is big help navigating passes, marinas, etc that are confined or in irons. Unfortunately, the motor doesn't always start, which I'm certain is due to the gauntlet we've put it threw (thankfully our Honda Marine mechanic has been nice to us! :) It also probably doesn't help that the motor gets moved during storage, even though we store it in the position Honda recommends. I'd be curious how consistent an outboard works on other Getaways. Personally, I've considered the Torqueedo because it's advertised as waterproof.

The black frame on the back of the boat is another GoPro camera mount I built. This on was made with PVC and it works without hindering the movement of the kickup rudders/tiller bar or cheetah mount.

I'll be happy to answer other questions about the Getaway, I feel the boat is under utilized in the market place.

Josh

ClamCounter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, Josh! What a great setup! And I'm going to put road trips on my winter calendar from here on out! I need the mental health recharge.

I've got the Torqeedo 1003. I like it a lot - one of the reasons I got it was originally I sailed the boat on Lake Michigan and I was afraid of being a few miles out and have the wind die. That happened to me on Chesapeake Bay on my H17 and I had a multi hour paddle back to port.

If you get the Torqeedo, you're going to say "I spent 2 grand for a plastic motor?!" But it is water-proof, it's got a lot of power, and a long range. It'll push my Getaway at 10 knots when it's wide open. It's actually uncomfortably fast. I find 6 knots feels good, and will give me miles of range if I need it.
The plugs are a little fiddly - you have to be careful with them, lineing them up well before screwing them down.
The magnetic kill switch is a bit of a pain - you're supposed to lanyard it to yourself as a deadman. I wrap the cord around the motor tiller and tie it off. I've thought about glueing it down. I carry a spare in case I lose it out on the lake.
When tipped up, the motor flops to the side since the battery is so heavy. I made a strap with a fasteze buckle to hold it in place. I found I have to have the Cheeta arm down and the motor tipped up when sailing to keep the motor skeg from bouncing up from waves.
The built in GPS is cool - it doesn't tell you your position, but it tells you your speed and remaining range at whatever speed you are currently running at.
If you try to reverse direction with the motor, sometimes the controller kicks out and gives you an error message. It can happen at inconvenient times, but all you have to do is turn it off and on again, takes a few seconds, and it'll run ok.
I did break a prop on some rocks (blew a tack and tried to emergency motor off!); a new prop is $90.

Here's a link to the strap setup for my motor:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/100085529@ ... 011469021/

Thanks again for the ideas!

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ClamCounter,

The dry box set-up that you have is exactly what I am looking for! Do you have any close-up pictures of your system? You can either post them here, or just email me at [email protected]. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

vetteman wrote:
ClamCounter,

The dry box set-up that you have is exactly what I am looking for! Do you have any close-up pictures of your system? You can either post them here, or just email me at [email protected]. Thanks!

Clamcounter,

Consider that a second call for detail shots of your boat! I'm always interested in other triber's solutions to issues with various EC related demands as it fits in nicely with my camp cruising cruising plans.