Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I got a new Go-Pro camera for Xmas, and was just messing about, so I set it up and timed myself setting up and rigging my TI from the trailer.
Basically I timed it and it took 15 minutes from the time I backed up to the water, till I was ready to shove off.
I have a bunch of extra stuff on my TI (like a jib and tramps), so if I were to not lace the tramps, and not put the jib on, I think I could easily launch in under ten minutes.
I just thought it would be interesting to see.

Here is the video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az2_doAgzCM&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Enjoy
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't dare time my launches or retrieves. I potter around like an old chook, following a set pattern of tasks, enjoying every moment :) :) :) . Particularly on retrieves, I hose everything down, and invariably spend a lot of time answering questions from fascinated passers by. When I get home, I de-tension all bungees and push the trailer into the garage ready for the next trip.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very good video, Bob. On your GoPro, what was your fov set at? Wide? And your fps setting? Your 15 min video only took 5 min--good edit job!

From the time l leave home, it takes me an hour + to get on the water, but that includes building the boat & dressing in foul weather gear--I only go out when the winds are up. Everything you didn't do.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I enjoyed the video Bob. Good job ! Those GoPro's take great video. Especially interesting how you setup your uniquely configured TI. And the whole process looks so much easier than when you used to car top your TI.

I use a trailer now for my TI and it's easier launching and retrieving the boat. My old system of carrying my AI in the back of a pickup truck bed was flawed because the corrosive salt water affected my poor truck even after rinsing it every time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keith:
I'm also now addicted to my GoPro, even though it was a crappy and cloudy day I went out anyway just so I could use my goPro. The winds were 8-10 mph and it was only about 70F airtemp, I did slip on my wetsuit, I'll post that part of the trip when I get it completed probably on the Ultimate Tandem Island thread.
I record everything in the highest resolution (1920x1080 @ 30fps), with the fov set to wide. The way I figure it you can do so much more with the video (zoom ups, slow motion, snaps shots from the video, etc) that it's worth shooting in the highest res. I have tons of old videos that were all done in low resolution, from when my kids were younger, I can't go back and redo those in higher resolution because now they are adults they refuse to put on the silly outfits and haircuts we had them in 20 yrs ago LOL.
All the tools in the edit mode (stage 2) of the goPro editing software are very powerful, as you can speed up or slow down each segment as needed, plus you can cut, split, zoom in or out, rotate, fade, color shift, etc the videos easily. And it's easy to add music and voice overlay, as well as captions into the video.
When all done I output in the highest resolution MP4 format for Youtube (1080P, usually a very large file), The way I figure it is if someone views it on their cell, the resolution automatically kicks down, but you can't ever increase the resolution once the video is made, and low res video looks like crap on a big screen TV or laptop.
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim:
I don't ever want to go back to car topping, except when we go down to the Key West place (no place for a trailer down there). Plus I'm banned from using my wife's Denali ever since I rusted the roof off and had to have it replaced (I'm still in the dog house about wrecking her pride and joy).
Actually all my extra crap like the motor, anchor system, and all the rigging and sails I just leave it all setup on the trailer so nothing is ever removed from the boat, I just pull into the front yard, rinse the car, boat, and motor off, then just pull the whole works into the garage, takes all of 5 minutes, I even put a caster wheel on the nose of the trailer so I can roll the trailer around in the garage. I open the front hatch and suck out any water with a shop vac that I keep right next to the boat, then leave fans running in the garage for a day or so to dry everything out. Other than that I do very little with the boat (some of my stuff is over 3 yrs old, and starting to look a little knarly, but hey it all still works).
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have not gopro'd the TI3 setup yet but it would be embarrassing.

Here's a similar treatment I did of a cat setup recently.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfhTG6dnRWo&feature=c4-feed-u&app=desktop[/youtube]

Gopro creates a series of still frames on your drive. In this case 2 sec intervals. Hundreds of them. Those are useless until you use their software to stitch them together. Then you end up with a ginormous 1080p file that's hard to play on most computers that is still too long (slow).

I took this megafile and converted it to a QuickTime 720p MOV, which trimmed its size and sped it up nicely.

From there you just need to waste hours uploading the hirez file to YouTube, and "presto!" 2 days later you have what you want,.. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU, was that a Hobie 2015 AI or TI that you were setting up. Good length on that video. I like the idea of time-lapse video, but 2 sec between takes seems a bit short for humans setting up their boat. I was thinking of 1 min between takes for setting up my camp. Of course, I'm a lot slower than you.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maybe, but you bring far less crap to set up then I would! :lol:

The goPro default is two seconds I believe. At this rate, one minute would equal one second of finished video. So a pretty good standard for most action.

I think five or six second intervals would be good for longer sports sequences, like sailing. When something interesting finally happens, like a capsize, then you'll wish you had the setting lower.

You can always apply motion effects to your time lapse clips and get them pretty much any length you want. Just takes more "time".