Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You can never predict when a good day is going to take a turn for the worse. Earlier this year 2 friends and I were in the gulf trolling for kings. We'd had a great day and on returning the surf had picked up some which is usually no big deal for us. I've been through rougher surf plenty of times but you can't always predict mother nature. I got some pretty sweet footage of the carnage and I wanted to share it with yall. Let this video be a good reminder that you should ALWAYS wear a PFD, especially when launching/landing your kayak in the surf. Enjoy :) [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwN2LHKH3d0[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dang man, looked pretty exciting lol Glad it all ended up well.

So what did you loose? I noticed your paddle broke, that sucks.....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, I can't deny that the adrenaline rush from a serious dump in the surf is pretty exciting although I'd like to prevent it from happening again. I think I lost a snickers bar and a face mask haha. A little bit of tackle too but nothing too serious. I'm pretty good about putting everything important up before I go in and my rod leash's saved all my rods and my gopro. And I needed a better paddle anyways. Fortunately the lid on my blackpak stayed closed because that's where all the important stuff was!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

educational, thanks. I Love the cable cuffs. Its a shame, I just got back from home depot too.

I'm pretty new to the sport and my first surf landing attempt ended up with me flipping and a 2 oz jig head stuck in my calf. I still consider myself pretty lucky with all the stuff that was flying around. I have plenty of lure wraps now and try to pack everything down tight, and rods horizontal since I broke 3 St. Croix during my last flip.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Enjoyed your video. I love the Corpus / PINS area, can't wait for my spring trip! Everyone tumps, good recovery without loosing all your gear.